Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2020, 11:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 798839 times)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3502 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:48 PM »

"Without the love of charity, even though someone may believe correctly, that person is not able to attain eternal happiness, because the virtue of charity is so great that even prophecy and martyrdom are believed to be nothing without it."
Isidore of Seville Sententiae Book 2 Chapter 3 verse 2

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3503 on: October 11, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »

'There is where I study my sermon - at the foot of the crucifix.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3504 on: October 12, 2020, 06:02:50 AM »

'Hold discipline, leave it not: keep it, because the same is thy life. Be not delighted in the paths of the impious, neither let the way of the evil please thee. Flee from it, neither pass thou by it: go aside, and forsake it.'

Proverbs 4:13-15

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3505 on: October 13, 2020, 05:52:41 AM »

'An intellect that does not control the senses will fall into evil because of them: deceived by the pleasure of sense objects, it depraves itself.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3506 on: October 13, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »

"Pray for all men; for there is hope of repentance for them, that they may be counted worthy of God. By your works especially let them be instructed. Against their harsh words be ye conciliatory, by meekness of mind and gentleness. Against their blasphemies do ye give yourselves to prayer; and against their error be ye armed with faith. Against their fierceness be ye peaceful and quiet, and be ye not astounded by them. Let us, then, be imitators of our Lord in meekness, and strive who shall more especially be injured, and oppressed, and defrauded."
Saint Ignatius Epistle to the Ephesians chapter 10

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3507 on: October 14, 2020, 02:59:22 AM »

'On the contrary, if locutions proceed from the devil, they seem at first to inspire devotion, but the sentiment does not last: they give rise to a secret presumption and self-esteem; they are followed sooner or later by inquietude of mind and the awakening of the passions.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3508 on: October 15, 2020, 04:03:08 AM »

'Humility and self-contempt are safe barriers against illusions.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3509 on: October 16, 2020, 04:19:25 AM »

'The intellect changes from one to another of three different noetic states; that according to nature, above nature, and contrary to nature. When it enters the state according to nature, it finds that it is itself the cause of evil thoughts, and confesses its sins to God, clearly understanding the causes of the passions. When it is in the state contrary to nature, it forgets God's justice and fights with men, believing itself unjustly treated. But when it is raised to the state above nature, it finds the fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace and the other fruits of which the Apostle speaks (cf. Gal. 5:22); and it knows that if it gives priority to bodily cares it cannot remain in this state. An intellect that departs from this state falls into sin and all the terrible consequences of sin - if not immediately, then in due time, as God's justice shall decide.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3510 on: October 17, 2020, 06:21:54 AM »

'I am now thirty years praying daily that my Lord Jesus may preserve me from saying an idle word, and yet I am always relapsing.'

St. Sisoes

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3511 on: October 18, 2020, 03:44:00 AM »

'He who has put his passions to death and overcome ignorance goes from life to life.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3512 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:44 AM »

'I exhort you to speak little and to pray very much.'

St. Gaspar del Bufalo

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3513 on: October 20, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »

'He who ignores discipline despises himself, but he who yields to correction gains understanding.'

Proverbs 15:32

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3514 on: October 21, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »

'A sinner cannot escape retribution except through repentance appropriate to his offence.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3515 on: October 22, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »

'I acknowledge, Lord, that for the just punishment of my sins I fell into the horrible temptation which so nearly caused my destruction. Thou it is Who, by Thine infinite mercy, hast delivered me from it. I promise to serve Thee for the remainder of my days with all the fidelity I am capable of, and I beg Thee the grace to do so. Cause the light of Thy countenance to shine upon Thy servant; grant me that interior peace after which I have so long sighed; show me the way in which Thou wishest me to walk and go to Thee, for it is just that the work of Thy hands should praise Thee, obey Thee, and be entirely submissive to Thy commands.'

St. John of God

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3516 on: October 23, 2020, 12:04:22 AM »

'Discretion is necessary in spiritual life. It is its part to restrain the exercises in the way of perfection, so as to keep us between the two extremes.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3517 on: October 24, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »

'Should anyone do anything that is disedifying, and it seems that as a result he should be held in less esteem than he was held before, let him not be so discouraged as to wish to give up, but let him humble himself and ask forgiveness of those who might have been scandalized by his bad example and a penance from his superior. He should thank God, who has permitted him to be humbled, so that he can be known by all for what he is. He should not wish to appear better in the eyes of men than he is in the eyes of God. The brethren who behold him should think that they could fall into even greater weakness, and should ask God to strengthen them.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3518 on: October 25, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »

'Blessed the one who keeps vigil in prayers and reading and good work, such a one will become enlightened so that he does not sleep in death.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: