Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2021, 05:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 242 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 871398 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3776 on: July 13, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »

'And if any of the events which happen pass our understanding, let us not from this consider that our affairs are not governed by Providence, but perceiving His Providence in part, in things incomprehensible let us yield to the unsearchableness of His wisdom.'

St. John Chrysostom

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3777 on: July 14, 2021, 03:29:40 AM »

'Do not pass a single day without visiting the God of the tabernacle; in His presence grieve for the irreverences that He receives from bad Christians, who repay His love with sacrileges and basest ingratitude. In reparation for so many outrages, the loving soul ought to offer herself as a victim, consume herself in the fire of divine love, offer her praises to Jesus on the altar, visit Him for those unhappy souls who fail to do so, visit Him especially at hours when nobody else pays Him homage.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3778 on: July 15, 2021, 03:48:07 AM »

'Charity urges and impels me; it makes me run from town to town shouting, "Sinner, my son, look where you're heading; you are about to fall into hell. Stop! Don't take another step!"'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3779 on: July 16, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

'So farewell now, my children. I set out on a journey with no return, a journey which all those of old have traveled and on which you will set out in a short while after carrying out the duties of life. I do not know, my brothers, where I am going or what judgment awaits me or which place will receive me. For I have not completed a single good work before God. Rather I am responsible for every sin. But still, I rejoice and am glad that I am going from the world to heaven, from darkness to light, from slavery to freedom, from temporary lodging to true abode, from strange and alien lands - for I am a sojourner and a stranger as all my fathers were (cf. Ps. 38 [39]:12) - to my very own country. Still more boldly I will declare that I return to my Master, to my Lord and my God whom my spirit has loved, whom I have acknowledged as Father, even if I have not served him as a son. I have possessed him before all else, even if I have not served him as a noble slave. Raving, I have spoken these things, but I have said them for you so that you will take heart and pray for my salvation. If I achieve it, see, I give you my word before the truth that I will not be silent, but shall boldly beseech my Lord and Master for you all that you shall flourish, be saved, and multiply. I expect to see, receive, and embrace each and every one of you as you depart from the world. For I have such faith that, since you have observed his commands, his goodness just as he did here will also preserve you in the coming age for the same purpose: to sing the praises of his all-holy power. My children, remember my humble words. Keep the advice I have given in Christ Jesus our Lord in whom is glory and power forever and ever, Amen.'

St. Theodore the Studite, before his death

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3780 on: July 17, 2021, 01:42:58 AM »

'. . . it is at the theatre that the flesh and the devil assault the minds and hearts of young people, by every means calculated to instil the poison of vice; to enervate the soul, and flatter the passions, by a general and simultaneous movement of all the allurements and charms of the senses.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3781 on: July 18, 2021, 03:43:34 AM »

'To accept words of truth is to accept the divine Word; for He says: 'He that receives you receives me' (Matt. 10:40).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3782 on: July 19, 2021, 03:59:43 AM »

'It is your self love which makes you resent not being able to do what others can do or having so much dismay on finding that you have need of the help of others; if you were dead to self, you would not be so unhappy.'

The Lord, to St. Gemma Galgani

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3783 on: July 19, 2021, 11:51:05 PM »

'God has loved us from all eternity. Children of men, says the Lord, remember that I first loved you. You had not yet been born, the world itself did not exist, and even then I loved you. As long as I am God, I have loved you; I have loved you as long as I have loved Myself.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3784 on: July 21, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »

'If man clearly saw that by well-doing he could gain eternal life, and could imagine how great the happiness of heaven will be, he would always persevere in good; and even should he live until the end of the world, he would never occupy his memory, intellect, or will on any but celestial things. . . On the other hand, if man could know how greatly he must suffer hereafter for his sins, hold it for certain that for very fear he would not only abandon all things, but that he would not commit the smallest sin.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3785 on: July 22, 2021, 04:46:23 AM »

'Blessed the one who rebukes his neighbour with fear of God and has not deceived his soul, fearing each day the iron rod of the great Shepherd.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3786 on: July 23, 2021, 02:58:24 AM »

'Blessed stillness gives birth to blessed children: self-control, love and pure prayer.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3787 on: July 24, 2021, 03:44:55 AM »

'He who forsakes all worldly desires sets himself above all worldly distress.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3788 on: July 25, 2021, 07:10:56 AM »

'Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one's flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fire of lust, and kindles the true light of chastity.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3789 on: July 26, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »

'I also took much heart from reading the lives and works of the Fathers of the Church: St. Ignatius Martyr, St. Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Origen, St. Cyprian Martyr, St. Eusebius, St. Athanasius, St. Hilary, St. Cyril, St. Ephraim, St. Basil, St. Gregory Nazianzen, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Ambrose, St. Epiphanius, St. Jerome, St. Paulinus, St. John Chrysostom, St. Augustine, St. Cyril of Alexandria, St. Prosper, Theodoret, St. Leo the Great, St. Caesarius, St. Gregory the Great, St. John Damascene, St. Anselm, St. Bernard.

I frequently read the lives of those saints who were distinguished for their zeal in saving souls, and I felt the good effect of it, for I applied to myself those words of Augustine: "Tu non eris sicut isti et istae?" [Conf. 1.8, ch. 11]'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3790 on: July 27, 2021, 05:13:20 AM »

'"In the company of the innocent, you will be innocent; in the company of the elect, you will be elect; and in a crooked man's company you will go wrong." [Ps. 18:26,27]

Let us, then, follow the innocent and the upright. They, it is, who are God's elect.'

Pope St. Clement I of Rome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3791 on: July 28, 2021, 05:13:45 AM »

'Saint Paul tells us, "The letter kills, but the spirit gives life." (2 Cor 3:6) A man has been killed by the letter of the Sacred Scripture when he wants to quote it only so that people will think him to be very learned, . . . when he has no desire to follow the spirit of Sacred Scripture, but wants to know what it says only so he can explain it to others.'

St. Francis of Assisi

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 242 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: