Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2021, 09:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 245 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 898899 times)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: September 11, 2021, 01:12:00 AM »

"Nothing is better than pure prayer.
From it, as from a spring. come the virtues: understanding and gentleness, love and self-control, and the support and encouragement that God grants in response to tears.
The beauty of pure prayer is made manifest when our mind dwells in the realm of intelligible realities alone and our longing to attain what is divine is endless.
Then the intellect, tracking its Master through the contemplation of created beings,
and ardently thirsting to find and see Him who cannot be seen, or else contemplating the darkness that is His secret place (cf Ps. 18:11),
in awe withdraws again into itself, for the moment satisfied and encouraged by the vision revealed to it for its own benefit;
but it is full of hope that it will reach the object of its desire when,
set free from appearances and the shadow-like fantasies seen indistinctly,
 as in a mirror, it is granted a pure unceasing vision 'face to face' (cf. 1 Cor. 13:12)."
Theognostos On the Practice of the Virtues, Contemplation and the Priesthood paragraph 5

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3841 on: September 11, 2021, 06:32:28 PM »

'Come now, thou poor child of man, turn awhile from thy business, hide thyself for a little time from restless thoughts, cast away thy troublesome cares, put aside thy wearisome distractions. Give thyself a little leisure to converse with God, and take thy rest awhile in Him. Enter into the secret chamber of thy heart: leave everything without but God and what may help thee to seek after Him, and when thou hast shut the door, then do thou seek Him. Say now, O my whole heart, say now to God, "I seek Thy face; Thy face, Lord, do I seek." Come now then, O Lord my God, teach Thou my heart when and how I may seek Thee, where and how I may find Thee?'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3842 on: September 12, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »

'We must take care of little faults: for he who once begins to go backward, and to make light of such defects, brings a sort of grossness over his conscience, and then goes wrong altogether.'

St. Philip Neri

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3843 on: September 13, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »

'What then did the Lord, the Truth and the Light, accomplish on coming down to the world? He preserved His flesh incorrupt in virginity with which he had adorned it. And so let us too, if we are to come to the likeness of God, endeavor to aspire to the virginity of Christ.'

St. Methodius of Olympus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3844 on: September 14, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »

'Therefore, since such are the promises, let us not only bear, but let us endure with joy all things, both those that are present, those that are whispered about and those that are expected, as we listen to the Apostle when he says: Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is the Church [Col. 1:24]. And again Saint James who says: My brethren, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing [James 1:2-4]. Do you see then that in trials there is joy, and in tribulations gladness? For these are the things that are exchanged where God is concerned; and this is how the saints led their lives; this too how we, by doing violence to ourselves and yet greater violence, and by living our life in their footsteps, shall inherit the kingdom of heaven, in Christ Jesus our Lord, to whom be glory and might, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and always and to the ages of ages. Amen.

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3845 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »

'Love to be looked at as a mere nothing in the house of God.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3846 on: September 16, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »

'As for me, I cannot understand how it is possible not to be always thinking of God.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3847 on: September 17, 2021, 08:37:27 PM »

'Pray twenty-four hours every day - that is, perform all your actions with heart and mind raised to God, holding yourself in interior solitude, and reposing in God in pure faith.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3848 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:05 AM »

'Who could ever measure the number and greatness of the blessings which He would shower upon a heart prepared to receive them!'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3849 on: September 20, 2021, 01:48:28 AM »

'Recreation ordinarily consists in conversing in an open, frank manner and recounting interesting, pleasant things that provide occasions of laughter and entertainment for the group. However, you must take care that these stories do not include anything vulgar or anything suggesting a lack of good education. Rather, they must be told in an uplifting manner, which ought to make the simplest tale striking, interesting, and pleasing to others.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3850 on: September 21, 2021, 01:09:01 AM »

'That man attains to spiritual freedom, clearness of judgment, repose, tranquility and peaceful confidence, together with true worship and obedience of the will when he represses all joy in passing things. Man has greater joy and comfort in creatures if he detaches himself from them.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3851 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:13 AM »

'As a mother feels no disgust in dressing the sores of her child, so Mary, the heavenly infirmarian, never refuses to care for sinners who have recourse to her.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3852 on: September 23, 2021, 03:04:19 AM »

'Continue to prepare yourself for everything as a meek lamb. Love to see your plans, though good, frustrated; a time will come when God will permit you fully to execute them.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3853 on: September 24, 2021, 03:21:22 AM »

'If you succeed in bringing a single soul to heaven, what charity! what a gain! what glory to God!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3854 on: September 25, 2021, 04:49:04 AM »

'The vigor with which you resist the enemy will be the measure of the reward which will follow the combat.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3855 on: September 25, 2021, 05:13:59 PM »

'AND when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalen, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices, that coming, they might anoint Jesus. And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the monument, the sun being now risen. And they said one to another: Who shall roll us back the stone from the door of the sepulchre? And looking, they saw the stone rolled back. For it was very great. And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right hand, clothed with a white robe: and they were astonished. Who saith to them: Be not affrighted; you seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified: he is risen, he is not here, behold the place where they laid him. '

Mark 16:1-6

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 245 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: