Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1239124 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3904 on: November 13, 2021, 05:47:37 AM »

'The first among all evils is ignorance; next comes lack of faith.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3905 on: November 14, 2021, 04:23:38 PM »

'In the difficulties which are placed before me, why should I not act like a donkey? When one speaks ill of him - the donkey says nothing. When he is mistreated - he says nothing. When he is forgotten - he says nothing. When no food is given him - he says nothing. When he is made to advance - he says nothing. When he is despised - he says nothing. When he is overburdened - he says nothing. The true servant of God must do likewise, and say with David: "Before Thee I have become like a beast of burden."'

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3906 on: November 15, 2021, 08:26:03 PM »

'Acts of kindness and generosity are spoilt by self-esteem, meanness and pleasure, unless these have first been destroyed by fear of God.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3907 on: November 16, 2021, 11:55:53 PM »

'Undistracted prayer is a sign of love for God; but careless or distracted prayer is a sign of love for pleasure.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3908 on: November 17, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »

'The laws and maxims of Jesus are very mild and holy and reasonable. The standards of the world are laws and maxims of hell, and are diabolical, tyrannical, and finally unbearable.'

St. Jean Eudes

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3909 on: November 18, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »

'Some people with possessions possess them dispassionately, and so when deprived of them they are not dismayed but are like those who accepted the seizure of their goods with joy (cf. Heb. 10:34). Others possess with passion, so that when they are in danger of being dispossessed they become utterly dejected, like the rich man in the Gospel who went away full of sorrow (cf. Matt. 19:22); and if they actually are dispossessed, they remain dejected until they die. Dispossession, then, reveals whether a man's inner state is dispassionate or dominated by passion.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3910 on: November 19, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »

'We should carefully beware of giving ourselves so completely to any employment as to forget to have recourse to God from time to time.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3911 on: November 20, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »

'Examine from time to time what are the dominant passions of your soul, and having ascertained this, mold your life, so that in thought, word and deed you may as far as possible counteract them.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3912 on: November 21, 2021, 08:52:51 PM »

'Jacob made for Joseph a coat of many colors (cf. Gen. 37:3), and the Lord gives knowledge of truth to the gentle; as it is written, "He will teach the gentle His ways" (Ps. 25:9. LXX).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3913 on: November 22, 2021, 03:23:01 AM »

'So great a love on the part of Mary deserves our gratitude, and that gratitude should be shown by at least meditating upon and pitying her in her sorrow. But she complained to Saint Bridget that very few did so, and that the greater part of the world lived in forgetfulness of them: "I look around at all who are on earth, to see if by chance there are any who pity me, and meditate upon my sorrows; and I find that there are very few. Therefore, my daughter, though I am forgotten by many, at least do thou not forget me; consider my anguish, and imitate, as far as thou canst, my grief."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3914 on: November 23, 2021, 03:24:52 AM »

'Awake, my soul, awake! show thy spirit, arouse thy senses, shake off the sluggishness of that deadly heaviness that is upon thee, begin to take care for thy salvation. Let the idleness of vain imaginations be put to flight, let go of sloth, hold fast to diligence. Be instant in holy meditations, cleave to the good things which are of God: leaving that which is temporal, give heed to that which is eternal. Now in this godly employment of thy mind, to what canst thou turn thy thoughts more wholesomely and profitably than to the sweet contemplations of thy Creator’s immeasurable benefits toward thee.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3915 on: November 24, 2021, 02:20:21 AM »

'If you want spiritual health, listen to your conscience, do all it tells you, and you will benefit.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3916 on: November 25, 2021, 03:13:49 AM »

'Do thou, therefore, apply thyself unweariedly to the pursuit of holiness, lest thou cease to be the temple of God.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3917 on: November 26, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »

'Others say, "If I neglect mental prayer, I do not mis-spend my time; I employ it in study." But the Apostle said to Timothy: "Take heed to thyself and to doctrine;" Attend first to thyself, that is, to prayer, and then to doctrine, that is, to study, in order to procure the salvation of others.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3918 on: November 27, 2021, 04:16:31 AM »

'So great is the goodness of God in your regard, that when you ask through ignorance for that which is not beneficial, He does not grant your prayer in this matter, but gives you something better instead.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3919 on: November 28, 2021, 05:30:17 AM »

'The self-indulgent are distressed by criticism and hardship; those who love God by praise and luxury.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: