Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233165 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4080 on: May 12, 2022, 11:57:31 PM »

'Obviously the need of this Christian instruction is accentuated by the decline of our times and morals. It is even more demanded by the existence of those public schools, lacking all religion, where everything holy is ridiculed and scorned. There both teachers' lips and students' ears are inclined to godlessness. We are referring to those schools which are unjustly called neutral or lay. In reality, they are nothing more than the stronghold of the powers of darkness.'

Pope St. Pius X, 'Editae Saepe'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4081 on: May 13, 2022, 03:15:10 AM »

'Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew.'

St. Francis de Sales

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4082 on: May 14, 2022, 03:28:45 AM »

'If, then, you are really surrendering yourselves to God, as you say, cease to be anxious for yourselves, for He bears your anxiety, and will bear it always.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4083 on: May 15, 2022, 02:20:37 AM »

'I know very well that I am dealing with men, not with angels.'

Pope St. Pius V

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4084 on: May 16, 2022, 03:29:23 AM »

'. . . we should not embark on the ascetic life in the hope of seeing visions clothed with form or shape; for if we do, Satan will find it easy to lead our soul astray. Our one purpose must be to reach the point when we perceive the love of God fully and consciously in our heart - that is, "with all your heart, and with all your soul . . . and with all your mind" (Luke 10:27). For the man who is energized by the grace of God to this point has already left this world, though still present in it.'

St. Diadochos of Photiki

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4085 on: May 17, 2022, 01:34:47 AM »

'When a man prepares to build a house, he gathers together all he needs to be able to construct it, and he collects different sorts of materials. So it is with us; let us acquire a little of the virtues.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4086 on: May 18, 2022, 05:56:12 AM »

'Let go of a small part of your righteousness and in a few days you will be at peace.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4087 on: May 19, 2022, 03:43:19 AM »

'Some people when praised for their virtue are delighted, and attribute this pleasurable feeling of self-esteem to grace. Others when reproved for their sins are pained, and they mistake this beneficial pain for the action of sin.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4088 on: May 20, 2022, 07:33:38 AM »

'We must visit Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament a hundred thousand times a day.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4089 on: May 21, 2022, 02:51:17 AM »

'My son, forget not my law, and let thy heart keep my precepts. For they shall add to thee length of days, and years of life and peace.'

Proverbs 3:1-2

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4090 on: May 22, 2022, 07:05:20 AM »

'The law of freedom is studied by means of true knowledge, it is understood through the practice of the commandments, and is fulfilled through the mercy of Christ.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4091 on: May 23, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »

'Let us take refuge in the Wound of the Sacred Side like a poor traveller, who seeks a safe harbor in which to shelter from the rocks and tempests of the stormy sea of this life, for here below we are continually exposed to shipwreck, unless we have the help of our all-wise Pilot.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4092 on: May 24, 2022, 09:28:39 PM »

'You ask to be taught how you ought to pray. The Lord himself taught us this through the invocation "Our Father", and that we should not ask for anything temporary, but for his kingdom and eternal justice. Moreover it has been ordained by the Fathers that first should come thanksgiving to God; next confession of our sins to him; and so a request for their forgiveness, and intercession for the other things that bring salvation.

So, when you are about to pray, give thanks to the Lord and Master that he brought you out of nothing into existence; that he redeemed you from every error, calling you and counting you worthy to become a partaker in the knowledge of himself, free from pagan, free from heretical error. Next that he prepared you for the monastic life, which equals that of the Angels, after the enjoyment of life in the world. The thought of all this is enough to soften the soul to compunction and the outpouring of tears. From all this comes enlightenment of heart, sweetness of spirit, desire for God. When this is present in the heart, there comes the rejection of every evil. When you have thus given thanks to God, confess to him like this, "You know, Master, how many sins I have committed against you, and how many I commit each hour", as you reckon up this sin and this offence and the ones committed in knowledge and in ignorance. But do not recall in any detail the ones that by being clearly remembered harm the soul. [Cf. The Ladder 28,58] And from this the grace of humility will dawn for you, with a broken heart [Cf. Psalm 50,18] and fear of God's recompense. After this, ask, groan, implore your Lord for forgiveness of these sins and strengthening for the future to please him, saying, "My Lord, Lord, may I no longer anger you, may I no longer love anything but you, alone truly to be loved. And should I anger you again, falling down I implore your compassion, that I may be given strength from now on to please you." And if anything else comes to your mind that is good to be accomplished, ask for it fervently. And after this call upon the holy Mother of God to have mercy on you, the holy Angels, and the Angel you have as the guardian of your life, that he may watch over you and protect you, the Forerunner and the holy Apostles, all the Saints and those whom you usually call on especially, and the one whose memory is kept that day. These then are the things, it seems to me, which hold the power of prayer, even if each person doubtless prays with other words and not the same as these, because people who pray do not always say the same things themselves, but the power, as I reckon, is always the same. So may you be kept safe as you pray for what is necessary, and become better each day, and through a strict way of life present your entire self well-pleasing to the Lord.'

St. Theodore the Studite, 'Letter to the Nun Anna'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4093 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:41 AM »

'If we are very determined to mortify ourselves and not to be too much occupied with our corporal health, we will soon, by the grace of God, become masters of our bodies.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4094 on: May 26, 2022, 06:35:40 PM »

'When rain falls upon the earth, it gives life to the quality inherent in each plant: sweetness in the sweet, astringency in the astringent; similarly, when grace falls upon the hearts of the faithful, it gives to each the energies appropriate to the different virtues without itself changing.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4095 on: May 27, 2022, 04:16:23 PM »

'Your prayer ought to be continual. The place wherein we ought to pray is the spirit of God.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: