Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1232707 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4144 on: July 15, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, God, who fashioned us and brought us out of non-existence into being, has placed us in this life as in a schoolroom to learn to gospel of his kingdom.'

St. Theodore the Studite

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4145 on: July 16, 2022, 04:25:42 AM »

'I wish neither life nor death, but only that which God wills.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4146 on: July 17, 2022, 02:05:35 AM »

'The life and conversation of My chosen spouse is such that, walking always in My presence as you see her now, she seeks only to know what is pleasing to My Divine Heart. As soon as she recognizes My wishes on any point, she exerts herself to the utmost to realize them; and then returns to learn what I desire next, that she may satisfy Me without delay. Thus her whole life is consecrated to My honour and glory.'

The Lord, to St. Mechtilde, regarding St. Gertrude the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4147 on: July 18, 2022, 07:04:00 AM »

'I am the Creator of heaven and earth, who was true God and true man in the Virgin's womb, who died and rose again and ascended into heaven. You, my new bride, have come to an unknown place. Therefore you must learn four things: first, to know the language of the place; second, how to be properly dressed; third, how to organize your days and your time according to the nature of the place; fourth, to get accustomed to new kinds of food. Inasmuch as you have come from the instability of the world unto stability, you must learn a new language, that is, how to abstain from useless words and even from legitimate ones due to the importance of silence and quiet. You should be dressed in interior and exterior humility so that you neither extol yourself inwardly as being holier than others nor are outwardly ashamed of acting humbly in public. Third, your time should be regulated so that, just as you often used to make time for the needs of the body, so now you should only have time for the soul and never want to sin against me. Fourth, your new food is prudent abstinence from gluttony and from delicacies, as far as your natural constitution can endure it. Acts of abstinence that go beyond the capacity of nature are not to my liking, for I demand rationality and the taming of lusts.'

The Lord, to St. Bridget of Sweden

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4148 on: July 19, 2022, 06:16:46 AM »

'The servants of Mary who are in Purgatory receive visits and consolations from her.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4149 on: July 20, 2022, 12:36:01 PM »

'Remain firmly attached to the traditional doctrine that you have been taught, so that you can preach according to right doctrine and refute those who contradict it.'

St. Jerome

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4150 on: July 21, 2022, 08:17:06 AM »

'Virginity is the flower of the seed of the Church, beauty and adornment of spiritual grace, a glad joy of laud and honour, work entire and incorrupt, image of God, and yet more noble as to the holiness of God and portion of the flock of Jesus Christ.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4151 on: July 22, 2022, 06:22:48 AM »

'As long as the pot is on the fire, no fly nor any other animal can get near it, but as soon as it is cold, these creatures get inside. So it is for the monk; as long as he lives in spiritual activities, the enemy cannot find a means of overthrowing him.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4152 on: July 23, 2022, 01:55:58 PM »

'With all guard keep thy heart, because life proceedeth from it.'

Proverbs 4:23

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4153 on: July 24, 2022, 01:49:19 PM »

'When we fulfill the commandments in our outward actions, we receive from the Lord what is appropriate; but any real benefit we gain depends on our inward intention.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4154 on: July 26, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »

'Resolution: I will be joyful when I go to the parlor, even if my heart is full of sadness.

I shall say to God: Yes, I will go there on the condition that you free a soul from Purgatory or convert a sinner.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4155 on: July 26, 2022, 02:38:22 AM »

'The houses of women are not made for priests. "Let him go and say his Breviary, this is not the place for him."'

St. Joseph Cafasso, 'The Priest, The Man Of God, His Dignity and Duties'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4156 on: July 27, 2022, 06:53:50 PM »

'I also took much heart from reading the lives and works of the Fathers of the Church: St. Ignatius Martyr, St. Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Origen, St. Cyprian Martyr, St. Eusebius, St. Athanasius, St. Hilary, St. Cyril, St. Ephraim, St. Basil, St. Gregory Nazianzen, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Ambrose, St. Epiphanius, St. Jerome, St. Paulinus, St. John Chrysostom, St. Augustine, St. Cyril of Alexandria, St. Prosper, Theodoret, St. Leo the Great, St. Caesarius, St. Gregory the Great, St. John Damascene, St. Anselm, St. Bernard.

I frequently read the lives of those saints who were distinguished for their zeal in saving souls, and I felt the good effect of it, for I applied to myself those words of Augustine: "Tu non eris sicut isti et istae?" [Conf. 1.8, ch. 11]'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4157 on: July 29, 2022, 03:18:12 AM »

'Again in Psalm 23 "the rod" is said to signify God's judgment and "the staff" His providence. So he who has received spiritual knowledge of these things is able to say, "Thy rod and Thy staff have comforted me."'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4158 on: July 29, 2022, 03:19:01 AM »

'Blessed is the mind which, during prayer, is insensible to all things.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4159 on: July 30, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

'When we feel our cross weighing upon us, let us have recourse to Mary, whom the Church calls the "Consoler of the Afflicted."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: