Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233171 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4224 on: October 10, 2022, 09:24:47 PM »

'I always strove to mortify my sense of hearing. Thus, I took no pleasure in useless conversations or idle words. I couldn't abide or tolerate uncharitable conversations; if someone started one, I would either leave, change the subject, or frown in disapproval. I also disliked listening to conversations about food, drink, money, worldly things, or politics. I didn't care for reading newspapers and would say that I preferred reading a chapter from the Holy Bible, in which I would read the truth, to reading newspapers, which are ordinarily full of lies and trivia.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4225 on: October 11, 2022, 08:05:41 PM »

'You should know that you have been greatly benefited when you have suffered deeply because of some insult or indignity; for by means of the indignity self-esteem has been driven out of you.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4226 on: October 12, 2022, 08:36:41 AM »

'Behold, this is the true and the Christian humility. In this you will be able to achieve victory over every vice, by attributing to God rather than to yourself the fact that you have won.'

St. Martin of Braga

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4227 on: October 14, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »

'In accordance with divine providence, the devil was not sent at once to the Gehenna assigned to him, but his sentence was postponed in order to let him test and try men's free will. In this way, he unintentionally fosters greater maturity and righteousness in the saints by promoting their patient endurance, and so is the cause of their greater glory; and, at the same time, through his malevolence and his scheming against the saints he justifies more fully his own punishment. In this way, too, sin becomes more utterly sinful, as St. Paul puts it. (cf. Rom. 7:13)'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4228 on: October 15, 2022, 12:59:34 AM »

'Thine is the victory, O Jesus! In Thee solely has my weakness triumphed. The Lord is my protector, at whom shall I tremble? If armies stand against me, my heart shall not fear.'

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4229 on: October 15, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »

'I saw the Spirit coming down, as a dove from heaven, and he remained upon him.'

John 1:32

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4230 on: October 16, 2022, 01:46:11 PM »

'The heart of Jesus with all its treasures is my portion. I shall live and die there in peace, even in the midst of suffering.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4231 on: October 17, 2022, 06:48:21 AM »

'There are virtues of the body and virtues of the soul. Those of the body include fasting, vigils, sleeping on the ground, ministering to people's needs, working with one's hands so as not to be a burden or in order to give to others (cf. 1 Thess. 2:9, Ephes. 4:28). Those of the soul include love, long-suffering, gentleness, self-control and prayer (cf. Gal, 5:22). If as a result of some constraint or bodily condition, such as illness or the like, we find we cannot practice the bodily virtues mentioned above, we are forgiven by the Lord because He knows the reasons. But if we fail to practice the virtues of the soul, we shall not have a single excuse, for it is always within our power to practice them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4232 on: October 18, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »

'As the branch separated from the roots soon loses all life and verdure, so it is with good works which are not united with charity.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4233 on: October 20, 2022, 06:09:27 AM »

'We are losing our true glory, since we receive glory from men.'

Bl. Giles of Assisi, to St. Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4234 on: October 21, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »

'If you wish to come where I am going, that is, to glory, you must come this road, that is, through thorns.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4235 on: October 22, 2022, 11:48:14 PM »

'When God speaks to souls by lights or impressions, in an angelic manner, without articulated words, His communications are sublime, being purely intellectual. In this case God speaks with great majesty, and His word produces wonderful effects.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4236 on: October 23, 2022, 01:48:08 AM »

'Learn that the more thou retirest into thy nothingness, the more My greatness stoops to find thee.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4237 on: October 24, 2022, 04:30:50 AM »

'Did you sow and reap this bread? I tell you, that if you will not do good to the poor, God will not do good to you; in the hour of your death it shall be measured out to you with the same measure with which you have measured out to such as these.'

St. Camillus de Lellis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4238 on: October 25, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »

'Believe me, do not be cast down or grieved at the small vexations by which it pleases our Lord to try your love and patience; but endeavor rather to conform your will to His, letting Him do with you according to His desire, which is, that you should remain peaceful and resigned in the midst of your difficulties.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4239 on: October 26, 2022, 05:20:10 AM »

'In the morning, we must do like the little child in its cradle. The moment it opens its eyes, it looks round the house for its mother. When it sees her, it begins to smile; if it does not see her, it cries.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: