Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Genesis 18 to 38 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Genesis 18 to 38  (Read 6810 times)
pebbles

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »

Hmmm… I think I’ve always heard of this “Jacob’s ladder”…but I never really got what it was.  I though it was a story about a ladder that Jacob dreamed of and like there’s a meaning for every step of the ladder.  I didn’t even try to look it up in the bible… until now Smiley

Genesis 28:12.  While Jacob was sleeping, he had a dream in which a ladder stood on the earth with its top reaching to heaven and on it were angels of God going up and down."

Jacob’s dream of the ladder, it is mentioned that angels were going up and down this ladder.  The ladder reaches from earth to the heavens. Doesn’t this mean that God summons angels to go down from heaven to guide people?  Ergo, the guardian angels. Smiley  Don’t you find that cool?  And if you think about this, if this happened then (in the past)… don’t you think it’s still happening now?  And what if God will grant us the “sight” to see this ladder… Wouldn’t that be like a sci-fi movie?  Smiley   

Genesis 28:16.  Jacob woke from his dream and said, "Truly Yahweh was in this place and I was not aware of it."

Jacob, it seems, did not have the faith of his fathers (Abraham and Isaac) until he slept and conversed with God.  I thought that he has always worshiped (acknowledged) Yahweh as his God.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »

It's funny we were just talking about St. John Climacus' Ladder of Divine Ascent on the Saint of the Day thread. And here we have Jacob's Ladder.

This reminds me that I once saw an interesting icon of St. John's ladder, let me see if I can find it again.

Here it is!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

It's even larger if you click on it.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »

'And when he was come to a certain place, and would rest in it after sunset, he took of the stones that lay there, and putting under his head, slept in the same place. And he saw in his sleep a ladder standing upon the earth, and the top thereof touching heaven: the angels also of God ascending and descending by it; and the Lord leaning upon the ladder, saying to him: I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac; the land, wherein thou sleepest, I will give to thee and to thy seed. And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth: thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and IN THEE and thy seed all the tribes of the earth SHALL BE BLESSED. And I will be thy keeper whithersoever thou goest, and will bring thee back into this land: neither will I leave thee, till I shall have accomplished all that I have said.

And when Jacob awaked out of sleep, he said: Indeed the Lord is in this place, and I knew it not. And trembling he said: How terrible is this place! this is no other but the house of God, and the gate of heaven.

And Jacob, arising in the morning, took the stone, which he had laid under his head, and set it up for a title, pouring oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of the city Bethel, which before was called Luza. And he made a vow, saying: If God shall be with me, and shall keep me in the way by which I walk, and shall give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, and I shall return prosperously to my father's house: the Lord shall be my God: and this stone, which I have set up for a title, shall be called the house of God: and of all things that thou shalt give to me, I will offer tithes to thee.'

Genesis 28:11-21 [Bethel: This name signifies the house of God.]

When I read this I see Jacob, it reminds me of previous visitations of God that He gives to those that have hitherto pleased Him, but takes them to a different hmm, stage or level of relationship with Him?

It's interesting to think about the differences between the two ladders.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »

Shin, I like the ladder so much that it is now gracing my profile over at CAF. Grin.
Hope that's ok with you.
We pray that we persevere with our climb up the ladder to the very end and not fall off somewhere  along the way. Frightening thought!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »

Jacob’s dream of the ladder, it is mentioned that angels were going up and down this ladder.  The ladder reaches from earth to the heavens. Doesn’t this mean that God summons angels to go down from heaven to guide people?  Ergo, the guardian angels. Smiley  Don’t you find that cool?  And if you think about this, if this happened then (in the past)… don’t you think it’s still happening now? 

I think that, that is exactly what still happens. Yes, God does just that.
Also in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, in answer to prayers of Tobit, a devout Jew in exile in Assyria, God sent the Archangel Raphael to Earth to help them. I tell you we Christians are God's beloved; only sometimes we do not realise it.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

No problem odhiambo!

Yes we do not think about the love of God for His children enough!  Grin

carmel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

Hmmm… I think I’ve always heard of this “Jacob’s ladder”…but I never really got what it was.  I though it was a story about a ladder that Jacob dreamed of and like there’s a meaning for every step of the ladder.  I didn’t even try to look it up in the bible… until now Smiley

Genesis 28:12.  While Jacob was sleeping, he had a dream in which a ladder stood on the earth with its top reaching to heaven and on it were angels of God going up and down."

Jacob’s dream of the ladder, it is mentioned that angels were going up and down this ladder.  The ladder reaches from earth to the heavens. Doesn’t this mean that God summons angels to go down from heaven to guide people?  Ergo, the guardian angels. Smiley  Don’t you find that cool?  And if you think about this, if this happened then (in the past)… don’t you think it’s still happening now?  And what if God will grant us the “sight” to see this ladder… Wouldn’t that be like a sci-fi movie?  Smiley   

Genesis 28:16.  Jacob woke from his dream and said, "Truly Yahweh was in this place and I was not aware of it."

Jacob, it seems, did not have the faith of his fathers (Abraham and Isaac) until he slept and conversed with God.  I thought that he has always worshiped (acknowledged) Yahweh as his God.

Pebbles,

Read and reflect:

Is there any doubt that angels since Abel, came down from heaven in form of humans to minister onto those who will inherit salvation?

Are't they the saints who came from Jesus time up to now to be an example for us?

You gave me light just now, while reading it,and I posted it in my other post in the Genesis 16 topic

peace and love in Jesus

Charles
pebbles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:20 AM »

Hey, Shin!

I like the picture of the ladder...  it reminds of another picture... that at the other side of that place is a window and Mama Mary is holding out a big rosary and other souls are using it to get to heaven  Grin   Have you heard of that story?  The story goes like this... St. Peter was complaining to Jesus that as keeper of the keys to the door of heaven, some souls were able to sneak in.  And St. Peter showed where his mother is there at the window, she put down the rosary and souls were climbing it entering through the window!  Grin  Think you can find that picture?  Grin Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »

I've heard that story! Cheesy

I have never seen a picture of it though!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Genesis 18 to 38 « previous next »
Jump to: