Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: 12 steps to holiness and salvation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 12 steps to holiness and salvation  (Read 5724 times)
Jacki
Established

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »

I am not sure what forum this goes into but I thought that it might fit into here.
I found the book "The 12 steps to holiness and salvation" and was wondering if it is a good read and if it is a more spiritual or logical book?
My mind has been kinda foggy lately from the lack of any spiritual reading but I understand cold cut books like Sinner's guide from Luis of Granada and Thomas Aquinas's writtings quite well. A month ago I tried to read St. Teresa of Avila's interior castle and I couldn't keep focused enough to read it. I understand Avila's writings of our souls being complex matters similar to diamonds where we have many chambers and the heart of that chamber of the soul is Jesus but I just could not focus!!! I want to read a book that will renew my spiritual faith again.
I have strayed away from God three times in my life and all three times the Sinners guide brought me back full heartly. Anyone recommend this book to help their spiritual growth or recommend any books that might help me get my heart back to Jesus and the Church in full force?
God bless.

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best." St. Jerome
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

Hi Jacki, How are you doing?  I admit I find St. Teresa's 'Interior Castle' heavy reading too. I can read only small portions at a time to help it sink in.
I find St. Alphonsus de Liguori to be a great writer. He has a simple style designed for the masses and intersperses his writings with stories from the lives of saints. I find this very interesting, fun and easy to read while giving me a boost spiritually speaking.  He usually ends his chapters with a little prayer which helps.  I love all his books. I can suggest' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori - The Way of Salvation and Perfection ' and 'St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori - Uniformity with God's Will '.  You will find both these books on our book website right here on Saintsquotes.

I hope you find this suggestion useful.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »

I love St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori! He's a saint quoting saints! I haven't read that book you mentioned Jackie, but doesn't it contain at least some of his writings too? Or entirely his in various extracts?

We have so many books on saints books and I love each one. If you opened a few and read a few first paragraphs of several books perhaps you would find something that touches your situation to hold onto now!

I go visit Saints' Quotes regularly and it helps me so much and answers my spiritual questions of the day! I highly recommend it for getting your spiritual life on track! God may bring just the right quote you need to hear at the time to you!

I agree the Interior Castle is likely a bit too deep for us here, I think, at this stage in our spiritual lives. But it helps stretch us to make a beginning towards learning more! I think when we start a new book study we will go for a very simple easy to read choice next. We already are doing Fr. Furniss and he is very simple and beautiful, thankfully. Cheesy

Perhaps you should try one of his? There's the Imitation of Christ too, that many people have been helped by, it's rather like the Sinner's Guide. Also you might find Introduction to the Devout Life helpful.

I am always going back to St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori's 'The Way of Salvation and Perfection'. And I will go back and read Rev. F.X. Schouppe, S.J.'s 'Purgatory' too.

Fr. Paul O'Sullivan, O.P. is also very easy to read and intensely helpful. Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: 12 steps to holiness and salvation « previous next »
Jump to: