Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Christmas & Celebrating it as Catholics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Christmas & Celebrating it as Catholics  (Read 4650 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »

I read something interesting recently that basically said we have Christmas and our approach to it distorted because of secular and Protestant influences.

That the season of Advent is a time of penitential preparation for the coming of Christ, and that the first twelve days of Christmas are the true time for Christmas giving, visiting, and acquiring Christmas gifts.

But instead we busy ourselves with the gift buying ahead of time, do everything on Christmas, and then it's all over the next day as if the Christmas season did not exist, or as if it existed in Advent, prior to Christmas. The Christmas decorations disappear the day after December 25th.

Thoughts folks?

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:53:37 AM »

In our home we begin our Christmas the first sunday of advent and our decorations remain up until the week after New Years.As far as gifts go we exchange them Christmas day,it's always been the tradition in our family. To be honest though the gift giving tradition doesn't mean much to me, having my family all together is difficult and so I'm just happy when we can all share time together and reminisce especially about the ones that our no longer with us.

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »

Yes, I agree with you.. it's having all the family together that truly makes it Christmas..

The good wishes are the greatest gifts really..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

Agree.  In secular world, Christmas music stops the day after Christmas.  We continue to play ours, at least until "little Christmas"--feast of the wise men.  And we leave the decorations up and often lit outside until then too!
pebbles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:18 AM »

But instead we busy ourselves with the gift buying ahead of time, do everything on Christmas, and then it's all over the next day as if the Christmas season did not exist, or as if it existed in Advent, prior to Christmas. The Christmas decorations disappear the day after December 25th.

Thoughts folks?

As a Filipino, I do find the American way (or is it the same for other Western culture?) of celebrating Christmas ridiculous...no offense meant, ok?  Wink  Christmas decorations in the Philippines can start as early as November 3  Grin Grin Grin  And decorations disappear either after 3 kings or weeks after that... when people have time  Grin 

One of our parks which is government controlled still has Christmas lights in their trees  Grin Grin Grin   Christmas gifts can be given as early as December 1 or as late as 3 kings  Grin Christmas parties can be held as early as December 10 and as late as 3 kings.

And it is a time of giving. Offices, organizations, clubs would have out-reach programs.  And it is a time of waiting like in Lent which is why statues are also covered in violet and the priests' vestments are violet.

Then why follow this secular tradition? Why put down Christmas decorations on December 25? You can always let it sit for a while and if somebody ask, you can always say, "Well, technically, it is still the Christmas season."  Grin

Little Angel
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »

It's always Christmas!  :principalities: cherubim thrones

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »

There is a local religious radio station which plays Christmas hymns and religious songs       
                       until the end of December.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Christmas & Celebrating it as Catholics « previous next »
Jump to: