Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Psalms attributed to David 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Psalms attributed to David  (Read 8109 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

Did David write psalms only when he was the King of Israel?
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »

Acts 4 : 25 states that Psalm 2 is by David.     
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »

It's good to read references to the Old Testament in the New!

'I am come in the name of my Father, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive. How can you believe, that receive glory one of another: and the glory which is of God only, you seek not? Think not that I will accuse you to the Father, there is that accuseth you, Moses, in whom you trust. For if you did believe Moses: you would perhaps believe me also. For of me he hath written. And if you do not believe his writings: how will you believe my words?'

St. John 5:43-47

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »

Acts 2 : 25-28 states that Psalm 16 is by David.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »

Acts 2:34-35 states that Psalm 110 is by David.         violin violin
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:11:59 PM »

When I was a little kid in Catholic School, (I was not receiving catechism, I was one of the non-Catholic students)
I remember picking up on the Old Testament/New Testament  parallel stories, references and things done to fulfill
Prophesies. Of course I didn't know these terms at the time, I just knew the passages were familiar but in different
Parts of the bible. Huh?

It was very confusing to me, hearing these stories and references that were in the Old and New Testament.  It was gratifying to
Get the answers years later in RCIA Cheesy

Let nothing disturb you
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »

Christians believe David composed Psalms 3 to 9 and 11 to 32.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »

The first psalm of David's that we find is Psalm 3, written when David fled from   
                              his son Absalom. Are David's psalms organized in chronological order or by themes?
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »

Many thanks for another great thread; this got me to reviewing the life of David, which I haven't looked at much for years.  Probably you know David first entered the palace of Saul as harpist (I Sam 16:14-23, according to NAB Dictionary-Concordance-which I highly recommend) when it seems likely he may have been writing some Psalms.  I hope to report soon that I've looked further into this.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »

Eschator83, I am glad that you like the thread Psalms attributed to David.  Cheesy Cheesy
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »

I've had a 2-volume Daily Bible Study set on Psalms in my bookshelf next to my desk for probably almost 20 years, which I suppose I've peeked into maybe a half dozen times, but never marked or seriously read.  You have motivated me to get it out, and I am very grateful to you, even though the author George Knight was a Protestant pastor.  Curiously, one of the first things that just jumped out at me as I scanned volume one is that Psalm 72 says it's of Solomon, but verse 20 says it's the last of the Psalms of David.  Later there are about 15 more Psalms (or miktams or maskils) of David. (Same as my NAB, but not noticed and I wonder why.)  I try sometimes to remember the adage about what curiosity did to the cat, but much of that old "common sense" I don't think is very wise (like tattle tale, sticks and stones, boys will be boys and more).  Psalms, Proverbs, Wisdom, Sirach are much wiser.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »

It's really great to hear you're becoming interested in these things! Cheesy May I recommend the Catena Aurea as a source of scripture studies, you can download what of it is in English from Saints' Books. Also we have Corneius a Lapide's works for download. These should prove very useful for you. There are also many other useful books.

For spiritual subjects as a Catholic you should avoid using non-Catholic sources as references, due to the mix of errors within. Though one can often see through them, one never can see through everything, and some of brushes off on a person. There is some amount of discernment to do with Catholic sources too as nothing is perfect, at least these cut down a lot of the chaff. Do put aside that NAB for a Douai Rheims. The commentary in the NAB Bible itself is often quite terrible. Anything after the year of Our Lord 1960, forget it, there are too many problems, I recommend only referring to earlier sources normally.

You can find these if you look for them and you'll find a lot of treasure!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »

Many thanks for you comment and suggestions, as well as all your efforts here.  I shall follow your recommendations and hope to comment further soon.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »

David may have written Psalm 72 after he installed Solomon as king.   
The caption "Of Solomon" in the subscription could mean David wrote this Psalm "of" or about Solomon.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »

At home I find only a 1941 NT revision of the Challoner-Rheims Version, I think I have a full Challoner but it must be at camp (unavailable until the mountain thaws).  I'm trying to do my NT reading in the Challoner, but it has much fewer scripture cross references, and almost no commentary.  Is there any particular revision you recommend?
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 10:07:39 PM »

Was there a Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Psalms attributed to David « previous next »
Jump to: