Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: The Magi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Magi  (Read 6270 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »

Thge term "magi" has a Persian background. Were the Magi from Persia or Babylon?
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »

I spent a good deal of time before reading this post wondering how to imagine the timing of the Holy Family's flight to Egypt in view of the Epiphany and also the trip to Temple in Jerusalem.  Perhaps they fled to Egypt almost immediately after Jerusalem without returning to Nazareth.  I felt guilty, and perhaps even skeptical, for dwelling on the question.  I must admit I've also wondered what happened to the gifts of the Magi; whether for security they were shared with family and friends and if 10% was given to the Temple.  Despite my concern about excessive rationalism, I searched the NAB Concordance and Fr Hardon's Dictionary for explanation of the Maji, wondering if it isn't best for the Church to search for logical explanations of obvious questions.
Hardon wrote that the Maji were members of the priestly caste of the Mazdean religion with little further comment.  His dictionary has no other reference to that religion and I was reluctant to look further.  NAB says Magi were possibly astrologers from Arabia or Babylon, but then states that the "strong OT influence on the story makes it very difficult to judge the historicity."  Is that a paradox?
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 05:14:23 PM »

In Eastern tradition, they believe it was twelve magi that showed up. Twelve is the number of government in scripture.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 04:02:12 PM »

Twelve would also connect with the theory of the Magi being descendants of the tribe of Levi.   
They could have represented each tribe of Israel.   

irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom irishwisdom
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 08:17:06 PM »

Some Bible scholars think Mary and Joseph sold the Wise Men's gifts to pay for their trip to Egypt to escape Herod's persecution.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 05:16:45 PM »

Were any of the Wise Men from Africa?   
Balthazar is usually depicted with dark skin because he comes from Africa.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2024, 05:37:27 PM »

The term magi is the precise Greek word used in Matthew's gospel.   
His story demonstrates that the Magi were astrologers - following a star.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: The Magi « previous next »
Jump to: