Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59 Print
Author Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda  (Read 354099 times)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »

'Many of the children of Heliopolis gathered around the Child Jesus, as it is natural with children of similar age and condition.  Since they were free from great malice and were not given to inquire, whether He was more than man, but freely admitted the heavenly light, the Master of truth welcomed them as far as was befitting.  He instilled into them the knowledge of God and of the virtues; He taught and catechised them in the way of eternal life, even more abundantly than the adults.  As his words were full of life and strength, He won their hearts and impressed his truths so deeply upon them, that all those, who had this good fortune, afterwards became great and saintly men; for in the course of time they ripened in themselves the fruit of this heavenly seed sown so early into their souls.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. II, 697

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2015, 06:11:14 PM »

'In his intercourse and conversation with his parents, this most wonderful and beautiful Child [Jesus], after He had begun to walk and grow larger, showed more gravity than when He was younger.  The tender caresses, which always had been tempered and measured, were now withheld, for in his countenance shown forth such majesty as a reflection of his hidden Deity, that, if He had not mixed it with a certain sweetness and affability, reverential fear would have prevented all intercourse with Him.  The heavenly Mother and saint Joseph felt the effects of a divine power and efficacy, as well as the kindness and devotedness of a loving Father, proceeding from his countenance.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. II, 699

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 26, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »

'The disorderly love for one creature which it cannot attain, moves the soul presently to desire another, expecting a balm for its disappointment in the former.  And if it is successful, the soul becomes involved and flurried in retaining what it possesses, thus casting itself by these velleities into still greater disorders and passions.  Attend, therefore, dearest, to this danger and attack it at the root by preserving thy heart independent and riveted only on divine Providence, without ever allowing it to incline toward what it desires or is longs for, or to abhor what is painful to it.  Let the will of the Lord be thy only delight and joy.  Let neither thy desires draw thee on, not thy fears dishearten thee.  Let not thy exterior occupations, and much less thy regard or attention to creatures, ever impede thee or divert thee from thy holy exercises, attending always to my example.  Seek thou lovingly and diligently to follow in my footsteps.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. II, 711

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »

Oh, Therese...that is such a nice quote...
Very encouraging in that never ending quest for detachment from the world.
It fits just great as I am looking again at material about discernment to a solitary life.
Thank you and God Bless.

Let nothing disturb you
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »

Oh, Therese...that is such a nice quote...
Very encouraging in that never ending quest for detachment from the world.
It fits just great as I am looking again at material about discernment to a solitary life.
Thank you and God Bless.

You are very welcome, Shin!  Perhaps you could come up with a eremitical Rule of Life and live as a consecrated hermit, if you find you haven't a vocation to the consecrated life lived in common with other religious.  Do you welcome the idea of living in common with others, Shin, or are you led to a more solitary life? 

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 27, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »

Hi Therese, I haven't been commenting much, not too much time online these days,  but your last quote really struck me and I so appreciate it! Thank you!  Your question to Shin about coming up with an eremitical Rule Of Life is something I have been thinking about. Any insight that you or others have, I  would greatly appreciate, I think it and other joyful aspects of a calling to live as a hermit could support its own thread.
That way I don't muddle up this nice flow of your quotes.

Look for the new thread and I will be there, alone - at least initially  Grin

Let nothing disturb you
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »

Hi Therese, I haven't been commenting much, not too much time online these days,  but your last quote really struck me and I so appreciate it! Thank you!  Your question to Shin about coming up with an eremitical Rule Of Life is something I have been thinking about. Any insight that you or others have, I  would greatly appreciate, I think it and other joyful aspects of a calling to live as a hermit could support its own thread.
That way I don't muddle up this nice flow of your quotes.

Look for the new thread and I will be there, alone - at least initially  Grin

Okay, Whiterockdove, I'll look forward to the new thread.  I'm glad that my last quote really spoke to you!  It is so good to hear from you!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 27, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »

"For thy consolation take notice, that He has exercised this office of Teacher not only once and not only at the time, when He taught his holy doctrine while yet in mortal flesh, as is related in the Gospels (Matt. 28, 20); but that He continues to be the Teacher of souls to the end of the world.  He admonishes, instructs and inspires them, urging them to put in practice whatever is most perfect and most holy.  Thus He acts toward all without exception, although according to His divine ordainment, and according to the disposition and the attentiveness of each soul, every one receives more or less of the benefits (Matt. 11, 5).  If thou hadst always applied this truth, thou wouldst have known by abundant experience, that the Lord does not refuse to act as the Teacher of the poor, of the despised and of the sinners, if they wish to listen to his secret doctrines.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. III, 12

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »

'Nothing can be hid from this great Master and Teacher (Heb. 4, 13), and He withdraws in disgust from those who are ungrateful and disobedient....He is accustomed to withdraw from...creatures in order to visit them with merited punishment for their many sins, outrages, ingratitudes and negligences.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. III, 13

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: May 27, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

'Nothing can be hid from this great Master and Teacher (Heb. 4, 13), and He withdraws in disgust from those who are ungrateful and disobedient....He is accustomed to withdraw from...creatures in order to visit them with merited punishment for their many sins, outrages, ingratitudes and negligences.'

This reminds me of St. Christina the Astonishing.. she is a favorite!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »

'Many of the children of Heliopolis gathered around the Child Jesus, as it is natural with children of similar age and condition.  Since they were free from great malice and were not given to inquire, whether He was more than man, but freely admitted the heavenly light, the Master of truth welcomed them as far as was befitting.  He instilled into them the knowledge of God and of the virtues; He taught and catechised them in the way of eternal life, even more abundantly than the adults.  As his words were full of life and strength, He won their hearts and impressed his truths so deeply upon them, that all those, who had this good fortune, afterwards became great and saintly men; for in the course of time they ripened in themselves the fruit of this heavenly seed sown so early into their souls.'

What a blessed life to be one of those children. . .

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »

What a blessed life to be one of those children. . .

Yes, God turned the very evil malice of Herod into the greatest blessing for others--the children of Heliopolis were able to get educated by Jesus and thus many of them became saints, many people in poor pagan Egypt were cured of their ills and converted from their idolatry, the Holy Innocents went straight up to Heaven to enjoy their reward for having chosen martyrdom, and Egypt was blessed in other ways by being the home of the Holy Family for 7 years!  Nobody can say that God can not draw much good from evil.  Nobody.   

whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

Well said.....yes, God draws good from evil in the most awful circumstances.  The ones who arm themselves with holy weapons; prayer, the sacraments; who persevere and look for God and rejoice every time they find him; the ones who work to spread that rejoicing and those who turn way from evil and temptation, and always strives for holiness in those awful circumstances are blessed indeed!

Let nothing disturb you
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »

This reminds me of St. Christina the Astonishing.. she is a favorite!

I'll have to read about her!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »

Well said.....yes, God draws good from evil in the most awful circumstances.  The ones who arm themselves with holy weapons; prayer, the sacraments; who persevere and look for God and rejoice every time they find him; the ones who work to spread that rejoicing and those who turn way from evil and temptation, and always strives for holiness in those awful circumstances are blessed indeed!

Like prison camp survivors whose hellish experience brought them greater union with God.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »

'When the divine Child grew larger He sometimes helped saint Joseph as far as his strength would permit; at other times, as his doings were always kept a secret in the family, He would perform miracles, disregarding the natural forces in order to ease and comfort him in his labors.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. III, 24

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda « previous next »
Jump to: