Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 04:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Imitation of Christ or My Way of Life 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Imitation of Christ or My Way of Life  (Read 3491 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »

For many months I've found myself shifting between these two books, but not making much progress in either.  I'd be very grateful for comments on which of the two you prefer, and especially whether you feel one or the other is more in keeping with Church teaching and Jesus' Word.  Also, your comment on whether you recommend either or both to others, and at what age you would encourage young Catholics to read them.
Hopefully you might also consider commenting on what you feel are the most important teachings of the two.  Many thanks.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »

I had not heard of 'My Way of Life'?

The Imitation of Christ is simply priceless!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »

I too have not heard of "My Way of Life".
Who is the author? and what is the subject of the book in a nutshell?
I have a copy of the Imitation of Christ. I have also given out a few copies.
I have not read the book from cover to cover; I have in fact read only a few chapters so far
and just marvel how blessed  Father Thomas Kempis must be to have written such a beautiful and inspiring book. 

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »

The essence of both books is to answer the questions: What is our Catholic Faith and What is the Catholic Way of Life?  In a way they are shorter Catechisms.  Both are very highly regarded by many Catholic leaders.  A quick web search will tell much about both books, but I hope the following comments will be helpful.
My Way of Life is a contemporary English (1952) summary of the teachings of the Summa Theologica of St Thomas Aquinas, begun by Walter Farrell, OP, STM (Master of Sacred Theology), who died after completing the first part, and finished by Martin Healey, STD.  There is irony that the Summa was unfinished at St Thomas' death in 1225.  I received my copy from a priest in our parish during or shortly after RCIA.
There is also irony that Imitation comes from approximately the same time period, apparently written by Gerard Groote but unpublished at the time of his death in 1384.  He was a deacon and founder of the Brethren of the Common Life at Zwolle, but deprived of his licence to preach, which is reportedly the reason Thomas a Kempis edited and published the document. (see J McSorley, History of Catholic Church).
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:22:55 AM »

Thank you eschator83.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »

I pray that we and other readers will be encouraged to finish reading these books, and consider the comparison, even if some passages are difficult.  I suppose each of us must seek our own, unique path to communion with the Divine Trinity.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Imitation of Christ or My Way of Life « previous next »
Jump to: