Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints  (Read 65333 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »

St. Maria Goretti pray for us!

It's such a moving story!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »

July 7

Blessed Benedict XI (1240-1304)

Nicholas Boccasini was born in Treviso, Italy, and put into the care of an uncle, a priest at
Treviso. Because of his innate intelligence, he was trained in Latin and other clerical subjects.
He entered the Dominican community at Venice in 1254. The next 14 years were spent
completing his education. In 1295, he received a master of theology degree. Nicholas was
prior general of Lombardy and then as the ninth master general of the Order of Preachers in 1296.
His work in this office came to the notice of the pope, who, after Nicholas had completed a
delicate piece of diplomacy in Flanders, appointed him cardinal in 1298. The Dominicans hurried
to Rome to protest that he should not be given the dignity of a cardinal, only to receive from
the pope the mystifying prophecy that God had reserved an even heavier burden for Nicholas.
On October 22, 1303, at the conclave, the prophesied burden fell upon the shoulders of the
cardinal-bishop of Ostia, who took the name Benedict XI. His reign was noted for its leniency
and kindness.
Benedict XI died in Perugia, Italy,(where he is venerated) on April 25, 1304. Many miracles were
performed at his tomb including several cures even before his burial. He was beatified by Pope
Clement XII in 1736. In art, Pope Benedict XI wears a Dominican habit and papal tiara, while
holding the keys.

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »

MEMORIAL OF ST. KATERI TEKAKWITHA

Kateri was born near the town of Auriesville, New York, in the year 1656, the daughter of a Mohawk warrior. She was four years old when her mother died of smallpox. The disease also attacked Kateri and transfigured her face. She was adopted by her two aunts and an uncle. Kateri became converted as a teenager. She was baptized at the age of twenty and incurred the great hostility of her tribe. Although she had to suffer greatly for her Faith, she remained firm in it. Kateri went to the new Christian colony of Indians in Canada. Here she lived a life dedicated to prayer, penitential practices, and care for the sick and aged. Every morning, even in bitterest winter, she stood before the chapel door until it opened at four and remained there until after the last Mass. She was devoted to the Eucharist and to Jesus Crucified. She died on April 17, 1680 at the age of twenty-four. She is known as the "Lily of the Mohawks".
(Fr. Chauchetiere, SJ, Kateri Tekakwitha, 1690)

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

July 16

FEAST OF OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL

Hermits lived on Mount Carmel near the Fountain of Elijah (northern Israel) in the 12th century. They had a chapel dedicated to Our Lady. By the 13th century they became known as “Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.” They soon celebrated a special Mass and Office in honor of Mary. In 1726 it became a celebration of the universal Church under the title of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. For centuries the Carmelites have seen themselves as specially related to Mary. Their great saints and theologians have promoted devotion to her and often championed the mystery of her Immaculate Conception.
St. Teresa of Avila (October 15) called Carmel “the Order of the Virgin.” St. John of the Cross (December 14) credited Mary with saving him from drowning as a child, leading him to Carmel and helping him escape from prison. St. Theresa of the Child Jesus (October 1) believed that Mary cured her from illness. On her First Communion, she dedicated her life to Mary. During the last days of her life she frequently spoke of Mary.
There is a tradition that Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock, a leader of the Carmelites, and gave him a scapular, telling him to promote devotion to it. The scapular is a modified version of Mary’s own garment. It symbolizes her special protection and calls the wearers to consecrate themselves to her in a special way. The scapular reminds us of the gospel call to prayer and penance—a call that Mary models in a splendid way.
(Novelli, Our Lady of Carmel, 1641)

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, keep us under the mantle of thy protection! Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

One author describing St. Thomas Aquinas' life writes:

A few days before his death he told Fr. Reginald that Christ's dear Mother had appeared to him on several occasions, assuring him that his life and writings were pleasing to God, and that he would persevere in his state. St. Vincent Ferrer and St. Antoninus of Florence affirm that in his difficulties he used to turn to her as a child to a mother. Then she would stand visibly before him, and, turning with a smile to the Divine Babe in her arms, ask Him to bestow the enlightenment he sought.

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »

July 22

St. Mary Magdalen
(1st cent.) Protectress of the Order of Preachers [M];

Jewish, dear friend of our Lord," Apostle to the Apostles" because to them she proclaimed (i.e. preached) the resurrection of Christ, mirroring the mission of all Dominicans; therefore secondary copatroness of the Order with St. Catherine of Alexandria (Nov. 24).

Except for the mother of Jesus, few women are more honored in the Bible than Mary Magdalene. Yet she could well be the patron of the slandered, since there has been a persistent legend in the Church that she is the unnamed sinful woman who anointed the feet of Jesus in Luke 7:36-50.
Mary Magdalene was one of the many “who were assisting them [Jesus and the Twelve] out of their means.” She was one of those who stood by the cross of Jesus with his mother. And, of all the “official” witnesses that might have been chosen for the first awareness of the Resurrection, she was the one to whom that privilege was given. She is known as the "Apostle to the Apostles."

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »

August 8

SOLEMNITY OF OUR HOLY FATHER ST. DOMINIC

"He spoke only with God or about God...He gave his days to his neighbor and his nights to God." - Bl. Jordan of Saxony on St. Dominic

Before St. Dominic was born in Caleruega, Spain, in 1170, his mother had a dream in which she gave birth to a dog that ran around the whole world with a torch in its mouth, setting the world on fire. This was, says Bl. Jordan of Saxony, to show us how Dominic would set the world on fire with the burning flame of the Gospel.

St. Dominic was born to a noble family, and entered the priesthood as a young man. While on a journey with his bishop, he met the heretics flooding Europe at that time, the Cathars. Suddenly set aflame with a desire to preach to them in a way that would bring them back to Christ, Dominic brought together a group of women (new converts) to pray for him (the first Dominican nuns) and then a band of men to preach with him (the Dominican friars). Called "the Preaching of Jesus Christ", the Dominicans travelled Europe, preaching in the cities, studying in the universities, and making converts to the Faith everywhere they went.

Dominic wished to die a martyr on the foreign missions, and even grew a beard in preparation for missionary life (the custom at the time), but circumstances required him to remain mostly in Italy for the rest of his life. He died surrounded by his brethren in 1225. While his religious sons and daughters have few of St. Dominic's writings and sayings, his final words are recalled in the ancient Dominican prayer, "O Spem Miram":

O wondrous hope that you did give at the hour of death to those who mourned you, when you did promise to help them even after death.
Father, keep your word, and aid us by your prayers.

You who did shine by so many signs in the bodies of the afflicted, bear us the help of Christ and heal our souls in illness and unrest.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Pray for us, blessed father, St. Dominic,
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

August 24, 2015

FEAST OF ST. BARTHOLOMEW

All that is known of St. Bartholomew with certainty is that he is mentioned in the synoptic gospels and Acts as one of the twelve apostles. His name, a patronymic, means "son of Tolomai" and scholars believe he is the same as Nathanael mentioned in John, who says he is from Cana and that Jesus called him an "Israelite...incapable of deceit." The Roman Martyrology says he preached in India and Greater Armenia, where he was flayed and beheaded by King Astyages. Tradition has the place as Abanopolis on the west coast of the Caspian Sea and that he also preached in Mesopotamia, Persia, and Egypt. His feast is celebrated on August 24.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »

August 25, 2015

MEMORIAL OF ST. LOUIS

St. Louis, King of France, patron of Tertiaries, was the ninth of his name. He was born at Poissy, France, in 1214. His father was Louis VIII, and his mother was Blanche, daughter of Alfonso VIII of Castille, surnamed the Conqueror. At the age of twelve he lost his father, and his mother became regent of the kingdom. From his tenderest infancy she had inspired him with a love for holy things.

In 1234, he married Margaret, the virtuous daughter of Raymond Berenger, Count of Provence, and two years later he took the reigns of government into his own hands. In 1238, he headed a crusade, in which he fell a prisoner among the Mohammedans, but a truce was concluded and he was set free and he returned to France. In 1267, he again set out for the East at the head of a crusade but he never again beheld his native land. In 1270, he was stricken by the pestilence at the siege of Tunis, and after receiving the Last Sacraments, he died.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

Bl. James of Bevagna
(1220 - 1301)
Italian, Dominican priest, strenuous defender of orthodoxy, ascetic

(I have a short bio of James I'll share upon request.
  I'll have to type it out myself.  Cheesy )

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »

I would be glad to hear the bio James! Cheesy

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »

Bl. James of Bevagna
(1220 - 1301)
Italian, Dominican priest, strenuous defender of orthodoxy, ascetic

BLESSED JAMES OF BEVAGNA

Very early in life, prodigies surrounded Blessed James, for on the day of his birth three brilliant stars, each containing the image of a friar preacher, appeared in the sky over Bevagna. Children ran through the streets crying: "To the schools ! Behold the new masters heaven is sending us !" The three preachers were later understood to be James, Bl. Ambrose of Siena, and St. Thomas Aquinas.

James was given a good education and was carefully trained in the ways of holiness. The power of his prayer was seen early. When still a small child, he brought about peace between two quarreling families. At the age of sixteen, he met the Dominicans. Two friars had come to preach in his native city during Lent. Deciding, after much prayer, that God was calling him to the Dominican apostolate, he went home with the two missioners and began his novitiate.

The early promises of his great learning were well fulfilled. In an age that shone with the brilliance of Albert, Thomas, and Bonaventure, the preaching of James of Bevagna was still remarkable. He was particularly gifted at reconciling enemies and bringing peace to warring families and cities.

James was very sever with himself, particularly  in the matter of poverty. On one occasion, his mother, shocked at the poor conditions of the habit he was wearing, gave him money to buy a new one. As he very much more wanted to get a crucifix for his cell, he did so. His mother reminded him that the money was given to him for clothing. James replied with the text, "Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ," assuring her that this was the garment he had bought with her gift.

At another time, praying before the same crucifix, James was overcome with a sense of his own unworthiness and begged God some sign that his soul was to be saved. Blood gushed from the hands and side of the figure on the cross, and a voice from heaven told him that this token of God's favor would reassure him. Some of the miraculous blood was preserved for more than two centuries. Kept at the tomb of Blessed James, it worked many miracles, but it was stolen by heretics.

Forewarned of the hour of his death, James was assured that Our Lady would come to meet him, because he had often sacrificed to adorn her altars. She came at the time foretold, and James went happily with her into the presence of God.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 03:15:22 AM »

"....assured that Our Lady would come to meet him..."
 :principalities: :principalities: :principalities: harp harp harp

Let nothing disturb you
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:43 AM »

A truly blessed life!
Blessed James of Bevagna,
Pray for peace in the world today!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »

August 27, 2015

MEMORIAL OF ST. MONICA

St. Monica was born in the year 322 in Tagaste, a town in Northern Africa. Although her parents were Christians, they decided to marry her to a pagan official, Patritius.

When Monica entered Patritius’ household, she had to contend with not only a husband who was both immoral and unfaithful, but a household full of servants who disrespected her and made rude comments behind her back. These comments, in turn, aided in influencing her mother in law, who lived with her, against her. Through the years of emotional abuse, Monica never complained and even urged other women to respect their husbands.

Over the course of her marriage, Monica bore her husband two sons (Augustine and Navigius) and a daughter (Perpetua). Although she was not allowed to baptize her children, she prayed for her household frequently. Through her prayers, her husband was eventually converted to Christianity a year before his death, and thereafter constrained himself from adultery.

Monica’s son Augustine, later to be known as St. Augustine, led a life focused on pleasure and worldly things in his early years. Though Monica despaired of his ever being brought into Christ, she consistently prayed and wept for him, and he, too, was brought into Christ and baptized. In fact, most of what is known of Monica is from Augustine’s Confessions, in book nine.

Mother and son were able to share about six months of peaceful times before Monica passed away in the city of Ostia in the year 387. She was fifty six.

St. Monica is celebrated on the twenty seventh of August in the Catholic Church and on fourth of May in the Orthodox Church. She is often considered the patron saint of mothers whose children have gone astray, and housewives.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints « previous next »
Jump to: