Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints  (Read 65140 times)
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:15 AM »

St.Monica, pray for us.
Amen.

Let nothing disturb you
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »

Bl. Walter of Bergamo
(+1244)
Italian, early Dominican, friend of St. Dominic,
preacher, Bishop of Brescia.

Bl. Ingrid of Skanninge
(+1282)
Widow, first Swedish
Dominican nun, attracted other women to
join her, used her inheritance to build for
her group the first Swedish Dominican
cloistered monastery after overcoming
considerable civil and ecclesiastical hurdles
both in Sweden and in Rome.

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:22 AM »

She used her earthly inheritance to gain a heavenly one.  crucifix

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »

On this feast of The Exaltation of the Holy Cross, St. Helen, pray for us!

crucifix

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »

We adore You and we praise you!
Because by your Holy Cross, you have redeemed The World!

Let nothing disturb you
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »

Amen.

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »

For the feast of The Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Lift High the Cross would be an excellent hymn to sing.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »

Saint Jerome     
The feastday of Saint Jerome is September 30th. He was born in 331 and died in 420.     
He is the patron saint of librarians. He read the literatures of Latin and Greek with great pleasure.     
                       He was enthusiastic to build up a religious library.
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 04:39:16 AM »

Oct. 9, 2015

St. Louis Bertrand
1526 - 1581

Louis was born in Valencia Spain, in a family of nine children. His good parents brought him up well, and he became a Dominican priest. He was very severe as a master of the novices, but even though he did not have a good sense of humor, he taught the novices to give themselves completely to God. When first he began to preach, it did not seem as though he would be very successful, but his deep love for souls brought great results. At the age of thirty-six, St. Louis left for South America. He stayed in the New World only about six years, but in that short time, this great apostle baptized thousands of persons. Although he knew only Spanish, God gave him the gift of tongues, so that when he spoke, all the different tribes of Indians understood him. Yet his apostolate was not without dangers. A tribe called the Caribs of the Leeward Islands even tried to poison the saint when he visited them to preach the gospel of Our Lord. Once he was called back to Spain, St. Louis trained other preachers, teaching them to prepare themselves by fervent prayer, first of all. The last two years of his life were full of painful sufferings, but still he kept preaching. Finally he was carried from the pulpit to his bed, and he never left it again, for he died eighteen months later. His feast day is October 9.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »

St. Louis Bertrand, pray for us!

He tended to the sick, he buried the dead with his own hands, and he left one half of the world to tend to the souls in the other!

Through God's intervention the poison had no effect! Cheesy

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »

St. Florentius     
            Florentius was a Bishop of Orange in France.       
                    He was known for his patronage of monastic scholarship and his personal sancity.     
                             Florentius defended his see against heresies. He died in 526. His feast day is October 17.
James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

November 13

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini
(1850-1917)

Frances Xavier Cabrini was the first United States citizen to be canonized; she became a U.S. citizen in 1909. Her deep trust in the loving care of her God gave her the strength to be a valiant woman doing the work of Christ.
Refused admission to the religious order which had educated her to be a teacher, she began charitable work at the House of Providence Orphanage in Cadogno, Italy. In September 1877, she made her vows there and took the religious habit.

When the bishop closed the orphanage in 1880, he named Frances prioress of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart. Seven young women from the orphanage joined her.

Since her early childhood in Italy, Frances had wanted to be a missionary in China but, at the urging of Pope Leo XIII, Frances went west instead of east. She traveled with six sisters to New York City to work with the thousands of Italian immigrants living there.

She found disappointment and difficulties with every step. When she arrived in New York, the house intended to be her first orphanage in the United States was not available. The archbishop advised her to return to Italy. But Frances, truly a valiant woman, departed from the archbishop’s residence all the more determined to establish that orphanage. And she did.

In 35 years Frances Xavier Cabrini founded 67 institutions dedicated to caring for the poor, the abandoned, the uneducated and the sick. Seeing great need among Italian immigrants who were losing their faith, she organized schools and adult education classes.

As a child, she was always frightened of water, unable to overcome her fear of drowning. Yet, despite this fear, she traveled across the Atlantic Ocean more than 30 times. She died of malaria in her own Columbus Hospital in Chicago.

Quote:

At her canonization on July 7, 1946, Pope Pius XII said, "Although her constitution was very frail, her spirit was endowed with such singular strength that, knowing the will of God in her regard, she permitted nothing to impede her from accomplishing what seemed beyond the strength of a woman."

Patron Saint of:

Hospital administrators
Immigrants
Impossible causes

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, pray for us!

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »

November 17, 2015

ST. ELIZABETH OF HUNGARY [M]

St. Elizabeth was born in Hungary in 1207, the daughter of Alexander II, King of Hungary. At the age of four she was sent for education to the court of the Landgrave of Thuringia, to whose infant son she was betrothed. As she grew in age, her piety also increased by leaps and bounds. In 1221, she married Louis of Thuringia and in spite of her position at court began to lead an austerely simple life, practiced penance, and devoted herself to works of charity.
Her husband was himself much inclined to religion and highly esteemed her virtue, encouraging her in her exemplary life. They had three children when tragedy struck - Louis was killed while fighting with the Crusaders. After his death, Elizabeth left the court, made arrangements for the care of her children, and in 1228, renounced the world, becoming a tertiary of St. Francis. She built the Franciscan hospital at Marburg and devoted herself to the care of the sick until her death at the age of 24 in 1231.
St. Elizabeth is the patron saint of bakers, countesses, death of children, falsely accused, the homeless, nursing services, tertiaries, widows, and young brides. Her symbols are alms, flowers, bread, the poor, and a pitcher.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »

St. Elizabeth of Hungary, pray for us!

What a good example of the true Christian life -- to live austerely even when royalty.

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »

Bl. Leonard Kimura
(1619)

Bl. Leonard Kimura of the Society of Jesus was a descendant of a noble Kimura who was the first Japanese baptized by St. Francis Xavier. Bl. Leonard Kimura, through humility, became a lay brother in the Society of Jesus. He joined the Society of Jesus at the age of thirteen, and was a catechist for thirty years. Along with thirteen other brave Japanese Catholics, he spent three years in prison. Right in the prison itself, which he turned into a religious house, with regular hours for prayer, he converted ninety-six Japanese to the Catholic Faith. He was burned to death on the hill of Nagasaki. He was forty-three years old when he went to God.

Also- (This one is interesting):

St. James Intercisus
(AKA James the Mutilated / d. c.421)

James was a favorite of King Yezdigerd I of Persia and a Christian. He abandoned his religion when Yesdigerd launched a persecution of the Christians. When the king died, James repented of his apostasy and declared himself to be a Christian to the new king, Bahram. When James refused to apostasize, he was executed by having his body cut apart piece by piece, beginning with his fingers (hence his surname Intercisus - cut to pieces), and then beheaded. His feast day is November 27.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Solemnities, Feasts and Memorial days of the Saints « previous next »
Jump to: