Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Imperial Immediacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Imperial Immediacy  (Read 26462 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

The Abbey of Baindt was founded in 1240 in Baindt in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany by Konrad of Winterstetten.     
                    Nuns from the Cistercian abbey of Boos moved in 1240.   
                    In 1241 King Conrad IV of Germany (reigned 1237-1254)) declared the abbey free of any vogt (lay advocate).   
                    In 1376 Baindt Abbey was granted imperial immediacy.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

Imperial immediacy. I never knew about it till now!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

The Imperial Abbey of Corvey was a Benedictine abbey in Westphalia, Germany.   
It was an Imperial abbey from the late Middle Ages until 1792.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »

Kaufungen Abbey was a Benedictine nunnery founded in 12017 by Cunigunde, the Empress Consort       
              of Holy Roman Emperor Henry II in Kaufungen, Hesse, Germany. Henry II endowed the new foundation in 1019.   
              In 1089 the nunnery became an Imperial abbey.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »

Burtscheid Abbey in Germany was founded in 997 under Emperor Otto III.   
            In 1018 the monastery was raised to the status of an abbey.     
            The dedication was changed from Saints Nicholas and Appolinaris to Saints John the Baptist and Nicholas.
            Burtscheid Abbey was granted Imperial immediacy by Holy Roman Emperor Conrad III in 1138.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »

The Imperial Abbey of Corvey was a Benedictine abbey on the River Weser in Germany.   
                        Imperial rights were granted by Holy Roman Emperor Otto I in 940.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »

My first reaction (after gratitude for the post raising my initial interest) is concern that the concept of "imperial immediacy" amounts to misleading historic revisionism fostered by atheistic secularism.  If you'll go back to a 1980s Encyclopedia Britannica, and check some of the first abbeys, they were referred to as ecclesiastical principalities, where towns and later cities developed frequently in the wilderness during the early middle ages around the abbeys (ruled by abbots and abbesses).  In the centuries before the European nation-states evolved, Popes and Bishops negotiated with regional kings and princes for control and authority of the abbeys.  Almost everywhere abbeys were subject to pagan attacks.  In the second millennium, efforts to restore the Holy Roman Empire met with only limited and temporary success.  Ecclesial (Papal) was authority generally honored until the emergence of Protestant governments (Henry VIII) and later Lutherans, Napoleon, etc.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:40 AM »

How interesting!

FWLIW, it makes me think of how when I look at the historic lands back then, all the little kingdoms and duchies and principalities in it seem so ideal.. what a splendid variety of kingdoms.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »

I find myself muddling about the human search for Utopia.  I reread recently St Thomas More's book, and while reading history of the US and the Catholic Church I wonder how sincere some of the efforts were to found Utopian colonies.  Surely the monks and sisters and those who followed them have been most sincere. 
I am fearful of those who seek universal control, ever bigger government, and a single culture.  It seems clear God preferred  tribal judgment and the dispersal at Babel to universalism.  Let's credit ecclesial principalities to God, and the Church, not to the Empire, even if it claimed to be Holy and Roman.  It usually wasn't.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »

You think about it too? Though i have not read Utopia..

I have thought about something that I suppose is like it for many years... I am always thinking about what Christian society would look like if it were full of holy Christians.. its laws its customs its morals..

It is a beautiful thought for lasting meditation.

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »

Elchingen Abbey was a Benedictine monastery in Oberelchingen (in Elchingen) in Bavaria, Germany.   
                   The monastery was founded by the Counts of Dillingen. The abbot sat in the Reichstag of the Holy Roman Empire.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »

The abbot Folcmar of Corvey Abbey was granted powers of enforcement over the population of peasants   
                    that were to seek refuge in the fortress built in the monastery's lands.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »

Gengenbach Abbey was a Benedictine monastery in Gengenbach in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany.   
            It was an Imperial abbey from the Carolingian period to 1803. It was founded by St. Pirmin.       
            It was granted to the Prince Bishopric of Bamberg, Eberhard I by Holy Roman Emperor Henry II in 1007.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »

On November 13, 882, Emperor Charles III (the Fat) granted the Abbeys of Stavelot-Malmedy the lands of Blendef   
               and restored to them the chapel in Bra. Stavelot-Malmedy was an Imperial-Abbey in the Holy Roman Empire.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »

Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV confirmed the status of Imperial immediacy on the Abbey of Kempten in 1062.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »

Gandersheim Abbey was a house of secular canonesses in the town of Bad Gandersheim, Lower Saxony, Germany.   
             It was founded in 852 by Duke Luidolf of Saxony. In 877 King Louis the Younger placed the abbey under the protection   
              of the Holy Roman Empire. In 919 King Henry I of East Francia granted the abbey Imperial immediacy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: Imperial Immediacy « previous next »
Jump to: