Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Scenes from the Life of Pope St. Pius V 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Scenes from the Life of Pope St. Pius V  (Read 14315 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »

I don't have too much material on St. Pius V, but I will see if I can add a bit more here.

I do intend to try to find a good life of St. Gregory the Great in the future and see if a similar thread for his life can be developed.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »

Before he was ordained a priest, he had taken the Dominican habit, and after his profession, he was sent to Bologna University, where he studied and obtained his degrees.

When only 20 years old he was appointed professor of philosophy for the province.

'Of his theological teaching it is said "he mingled the thorns of Calvary with those of learning", leading his pupils to the foot of the cross.'

and that 'he was able to instill a love of supernatural virtue, more by example than by eloquence.'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 07:23:15 AM »

The name he was given at birth was Anthony Ghislieiri, but later he took the name Michael:

Now being named after St. Michael the Archangel, Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, whom he took as his patron.

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »

Enzo Lodi wrote in his Saints of the Roman Calendar (1992) that the canonization of St Pius V in 1712 was the last canonization of a Pope until 1954 when St Pius X was canonized (curiously by Pius XII). 
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »

While a Prior, he became confessor for the governor of Milan. He would make the journey to that city on foot, in any weather and in silence save to say the Breviary and Rosary with a traveling companion. He refused to buy a thicker coat for the winter weather, asking what sort of poverty monks professed who went clothed as comfortably as those in the world.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Scenes from the Life of Pope St. Pius V « previous next »
Jump to: