Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:04:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: "Purple cloth" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: "Purple cloth"  (Read 19291 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »

Doesn't the color purple represent Royalty. martyrdom and penance?
During Lent all the statues in church are covered in purple cloth (penance), and during the crowning of thorns they dressed Our Lord in a purple robe and went down on their knees in mockery to do Him homage (royalty and suffering).

So this might be a reference to our need for penance, suffering, homage (keeping our eye always on Him) and humility in our careers?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »

It's amazing what we can learn just from a color.
Everything in scripture is so packed full of meaning.
Was it St Alphonus (I'm open to corection)  who wanted to write on the Our Father and after many months couldn't get past the first two words?

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 04:54:51 AM »

Hmm... I wonder what it could mean. I know that some saints replace angels that fell, and are given the graces necessary for this, taking their thrones.

Also, priests, and other people of special note have more than one, or especially powerful (from the higher ranked choirs) guardian angels. Hmm.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

Hmm... I wonder what it could mean. I know that some saints replace angels that fell, and are given the graces necessary for this, taking their thrones.

Also, priests, and other people of special note have more than one, or especially powerful (from the higher ranked choirs) guardian angels. Hmm.

What you say really gives me pause. Hm....

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »

So it sounds like what your talking about is Saints/saints becoming royalty in heaven.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »

Could it be that the four Gospel writers have been given a very high place in heaven above others? Undecided

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

So it sounds like what your talking about is Saints/saints becoming royalty in heaven.

Well, after a fashion.. more along the lines of taking up the graces and privileges and abilities that make them capable of filling a position formerly possessed by angels that fell.

In other words, what abilities, responsibilities, privileges, etc. those angels had, but when they fell left unfulfilled, are now instead given to others, who are supplied with what is necessary to make up for the fact that they are not angels.

So I was speculating lightly whether or not these apostles were given places in the Seraphic choir. I don't really have any real evidence to say though, so it's just lightest speculation.

Or perhaps these seraphim were the guardian angels or helpers of those apostles.. But again, no evidence whatsoever.  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »

So, Shin, how would that make "Lydia, a seller of purple"? Huh?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »

So, Shin, how would that make "Lydia, a seller of purple"? Huh?

Oh I see! Royalty yes! I got so distracted by the angels I forgot about the purple!  Cheesy

Certainly the Seraphim are among the highest of the high royalty of Heaven.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »

Hmm. Now this is truly getting me thoughtful.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

Hmm. Now this is truly getting me thoughtful.

Oh, good. Grin

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »

Brigid, tell me more about Lydia. I don't know anything about her. Huh?

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »

Brigid, tell me more about Lydia. I don't know anything about her. Huh?

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, one that worshipped God, did hear: whose heart the Lord opened to attend to those things which were said by Paul. Acts 16:14

That's all that's written about her.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »

Brigid, Autumn Rose gave an answer to that earlier in the thread, if that's what you are looking for. Let me quote what Autumn Rose found.

Lydia was a women ahead of her time. She lived in about A.D. 50 and was a business women from Thyratira. In her business she sold purple cloth, which at that time, was associated with high social rank and great wealth. The purple dye was obtained from the shells of the murex, an ocean molusk. Because it was difficult to produce, the dye and garments of that color were expensive.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »

Brigid, Autumn Rose gave an answer to that earlier in the thread, if that's what you are looking for. Let me quote what Autumn Rose found.

Lydia was a women ahead of her time. She lived in about A.D. 50 and was a business women from Thyratira. In her business she sold purple cloth, which at that time, was associated with high social rank and great wealth. The purple dye was obtained from the shells of the murex, an ocean molusk. Because it was difficult to produce, the dye and garments of that color were expensive.

So, Autumn Rose is saying that the reason it was put in the NT specifically is due to Lydia being a business woman and tied to expensive things?

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »

Is she a saint , by any chance? Saint Lydia. I know it is  a common Catholic name in India.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: "Purple cloth" « previous next »
Jump to: