Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Therese of Lisieux 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: St. Therese of Lisieux  (Read 4197 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »

St. Therese of Lisieux in Story of a Soul

My first victory of the kind, though not a great one, cost me a good deal. It happened that a small jar which had been left by a window was found broken. Believing that I was the culprit our Novice Mistress reproached me for leaving it about, adding that I was most untidy and must be more careful for the future. She seemed displeased, so without saying a word in self-defense I kissed the ground and promised to be more orderly. I was so little advanced in perfection that even trifles like these cost me dear, as I have said, and I found it necessary to console myself with the thought that all would come to light on the day of Judgment.

I endeavored, above all, to practise little hidden acts of virtue, such as folding the mantles which the Sisters had forgotten and being on the alert to render them help. I had also a great attraction towards penance, although I was not allowed to satisfy the desire. Indeed the only mortification I was permitted was the overcoming of my self-love, which did me far more good than any bodily penance could have done.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:30:42 PM by Brigid » Logged

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »

These are little treasures aren't they? Smiley

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
AutumnRose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »

Saint Therese is indeed wonderful in her practise of inner mortification. She is my confirmation Saint, and I try to imitate her "Little Way", although failing all the time! Undecided

“Suscipe me Domine, secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam et non confundas me in expectatione mea.” ~ Psalm 118:116
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:07:04 AM »

Keep on trying! In our weakness we find out our need to draw even closer to God! Smiley

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »

Saint Therese is indeed wonderful in her practise of inner mortification. She is my confirmation Saint, and I try to imitate her "Little Way", although failing all the time! Undecided

Although she is not my confirmation saint (obviously St. Brigid was) I relate so much to her - especially in the way she said she wasn't able to do large mortifications or heroic actions as some Saints have been, along with wanting everything and with having been a spoiled child (as far as attention was concerned). I am always on the look-out for the 'elevator'. Embarrassed

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »

It is enough to realize one's nothingness and give oneself wholly, like a child, into the arms of our good God."
    St. Therese of the Child Jesus

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »

The world came to know Therese through her autobiography Story of a Soul.   
                    She described her life as a "little way of spiritual childhood."     

mommaandbaby mommaandbaby mommaandbaby mommaandbaby mommaandbaby
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 06:44:46 PM »

Therese's father Louis had tried to become a canon regular.     
He wanted to enter the Great St. Bernard Hospice. He was refused because he did not know Latin.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Therese of Lisieux « previous next »
Jump to: