Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 09:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Request for Autobiographies Written by Saints 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Request for Autobiographies Written by Saints  (Read 85 times)
Jozef Maka

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I am hoping this group here could help with my request!

I am doing some research for a book and I need to get some resources on saints that have written their own autobiographies. I have a few of the popular ones but I am hoping to expand that list for my research. Some of the few that I have that I know of are:

1. St. Augustine's Confessions
2. St. Therese of Liseux's Story of a Soul
3. St. Pope John XXIII's Journal of a Soul
4. St. Teresa of Avila's Life Story

I think I have a few more but would really hope to expand that list to about 10 or more if possible. I know that there are some biographies written by others around the life of a saint. I am hesitant to use those unless you feel that they capture the saint very well!

Thank you everyone!
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »

Saint Gemma Galgani wrote her autobiography.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »

Welcome to the Saints' Discussion Forums Jozef Maka!

I hope you have a great time here. You can read the announcements at the top of the board to learn about the place and how it works.

What sort of book are you researching?

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Jozef Maka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »

It really is an analysis of the life of saints based on their own written testimonies. I want to be able to understand the mind of the saints, their struggles, challenges, spiritual strategies, etc. that enabled them to reach such heroic heights. My hope is that I can distill some practical and updated advice for our age where people seem to have forgotten the great wisdom of the saints of old.

For example, one of the reasons I found St. Augustine's Confessions very moving is how the saint reveals his deep struggles of sin in his early/mid adult life. This was encouraging for me personally because sometimes the only image we have of saints...are when they are saints! Perfect, Christ-like and doing heroic things for the Lord. But we often forget that most of them had to struggle through sin, and through God's grace made a dramatic conversion in their life that led them to be Christ-like. It is important for people to see this and to see the means by which they were able to make this transformation. So someone who is struggling like St. Augustine could benefit from the information he left for us in his writings.

The goal is to make it as comprehensive, broad and deep as I can which means not just leaving it at St. Augustine but whoever wrote something about their journey through life.

Googling "Saints that wrote autobiographies", as you can imagine, turned up very little hits. Perhaps some people on this forum have stumbled upon a great or small saint that moved them based on their testimony and all I seek is that reference  Smiley

God bless,

JM

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

That's quite an aspiration you have there.. Are you sure you're up to it? Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Request for Autobiographies Written by Saints « previous next »
Jump to: