Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2018, 04:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Some new quotations from St. Peter Julian Eymard 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Some new quotations from St. Peter Julian Eymard  (Read 503 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:26 PM »

'There are two lives in us, the natural and the supernatural; the one or the other must of necessity obtain ascendancy over us. If the first, we are culpable, but if the second, it rules and sanctifies everything.

The supernatural life puts everything in order, rectifies and purifies everything. Virtue consists in keeping this life strong and active.

We must know what spirit we are acting by, whether by the spirit of grace or of nature. There are moments when this is very difficult to determine.

Then comes the inner struggle; the outcome will show by what spirit we act, which life rules within us.

In the world, everything serves to promote the natural life, everything fosters it, exalts it, glorifies it.

On the other hand, if one desires to live by God, he must direct all his actions, use every means in his power to maintain and increase the supernatural life.'
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:58:31 PM by Shin » Logged

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »

'I would earnestly advise you if you wish to distinguish the different motions of these two lives, to study the fifty-fourth chapter of the Imitation.'

'It needs only humility and delicacy of feeling to make us ascribe to ourselves all the defects there enumerated. But we must be reasonable in all things. It is true that we have within us the germ of every evil tendency, but, in practice, we do not have every defect. Let us pray God that we may recognize our faults and correct them. Let us work toward that end without haste or anxiety. God's grace will guide us and, if we are faithful to it, will make the life of Jesus triumphant in us.'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

'There is one virtue without which all others are as nothing, and that is the virtue of habitual charity, the habit of the state of grace. This is the virtue we absolutely must have if we are to please God and live in Him.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »

'Here are a few signs by which we may know that we are living the supernatural life, that it is firmly established in us and is directing our conduct.

1. The life of Jesus Christ first of all dominates our conscience, purifies it, and separates it from sin. A conscience which is either doubtful or guilty does not have this life. Let us judge by our delicacy of conscience whether Jesus dwells in us. If we do not detest sin, the spirit of Jesus is not in us. Our conscience must be free and clear, and the enemy must be kept in such strict duress that he cannot even disturb its limpid purity. To that end we must first use force, force against self and against sin; afterwards, sweetness will play its part. -- We shall describe later the sort of force we mean.

Let us see, then, whether we are grieved by sin. If not, we are outsiders, not children of the family. If we feel no sorrow at having sinned, at having grieved our Lord and raised a barrier between Himself and us that prevents His speaking to us, then our heart is dead.

2. . . . [to be continued]

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Some new quotations from St. Peter Julian Eymard « previous next »
Jump to: