Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Quotes for the day and night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quotes for the day and night  (Read 1139 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:15:45 AM »

I've been wondering for at least several years whether the quotes for the night are generally somewhat difficult, unclear, even controversial, whereas prayers for the day are generally more clear, understandable, and more widely accepted.  Certainly, I can see many apparent exceptions to this pattern, but then I wonder if the apparent exceptions only reflect my point of view.  I keep thinking how the Light (day) brings truth and understanding, while the darkness...well, you know.  Is there a higher percentage of difficult quotes for the night?  Could that be intentional, coincidence, or a reflection of inspiration?
Members may recall I've previously asked about seeking explanation or perhaps rationale for selected quotes, and perhaps here we might discuss some without distraction to our meditation/contemplation in the main threads for quotes above.  I pray this will not be considered irreverent or otherwise offensive.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 03:56:42 AM »

There's a practice some people have of flipping through the Bible or other holy works and writings without choosing particular pages and seeing whatever passage comes up as food for their meditation for the day.

The quotes posted for day and night are most often left entirely to God so to speak in that fashion, whatever comes up, comes up. This is the majority of the time, sometimes I will skip a few that come up to try to have two quotes that fit together day and night, or purposefully choose a few on particular themes. Sometimes I will look for new quotes and material and add these in to the quotations database of the Saints' Quotes website as well as post them.

I'm not aware of choosing "darker" quotes or "lighter" quotes for day and night, I haven't noticed a pattern like this personally, but it is possible I unintentionally picked out some quotes that way. It's hard to know what you might be unknowingly influenced by in your decisions. Everyone reacts to and receives somewhat different impressions of the quotes based on their personal experiences naturally. Perhaps I will read back against with this in mind and see if I notice a theme like this or other themes too.

For the most part the quotes are left up to God, whatever shows up shows up, and is often from my impression a very pointedly fitting quote to think upon that particular day. Deo gratias.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:38:13 AM »

I have a strong sense of being something of a kindred spirit, with one book of Amazing Coincidences (partially drafted) and another which began as Inspiration/Distraction (usually during prayer) and recently has spawned another book focused on "probable Inspirations."  I've had longstanding hopes of blogging these selectively as a way that might lead to publication.  Unfortunately, my first attempt at such consistent blogging was a book I called Ancient Wisdom, posting what I thought were the best cards in 3 decks of 3x5 cards I had handwritten, mostly religious, which I stopped posting when the bulletin board I was using closed down abruptly and I couldn't figure out how to recover my posts.
I'm afraid I'm running out of time for publishing and maybe even much more posting, but I'll keep trying to do the best I can think of.  Somehow, I was able to modify this time.  Maybe we just need to wait a bit longer until the screen reappears.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:07:27 PM by eschator83 » Logged
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 09:46:38 AM »

I just tried to use the modify icon to edit the foregoing post, but it didn't reopen the post as I had hoped.  I wanted to say I hoped to post the best of my 3 decks of cards, but avoid implication that I had posted all of them.  I resolve (again) to reread more carefully (as preview).  Isn't there any way to edit after posting?
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 10:45:14 AM »

Good morning eschator! It is good to hear from you!

The 'modify' button should work for a few days after a post to allow you to edit it, I am not sure what the issue is?

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 04:10:41 PM »

Thanks for comment.  I tried again and as you can see modification worked.  I hope you are feeling better and getting some more good news.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 08:49:07 PM »

The following is a recent night quote that is difficult for me to understand:

'Why should we be attached to this world, where we can breathe only air poisoned by so many crimes?'

St. Paul of the Cross

Certainly, I understand our salvation depends on our faith and worship of the Divine Trinity and its Will and Revelation, including the Church, and many saints have feared that secular attractions are distractions that can jeopardize and even prevent salvation.  But God said all of creation was good, and other saints and prophets have taught that God creates all things, both good and evil.  Also, it is taught that God can bring good from every evil.
I am tempted to think the Church should do more to praise and celebrate Creation and to discourage long-term and permanent separation from the world by Christians, especially priests and nuns, except in cases of severe personal problems.

Is there a great danger that our current focus on life in the spirit has taken the Church too far from most people in the world, many of whom have never met a priest or nun?
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 10:32:04 AM »

My friend this is not appropriately put in some ways, though I know you desire greater missionary work.

The contemplative orders are of the greatest value to the Church, beyond our ability as human beings to understand and express. There souls adore God purely and gain graces that sustain the Church and mankind. Without prayer, truly nothing can be done, and all active works lose what is most important to keep them good and full of graces.

Perhaps you should read more writings by and about the contemplative life of the saints and the three stages of the spiritual life to gain a better appreciation.

The world's culture and mores are indeed quite poisonous to good morals, there must always be some level of significant separation for Christians. There must always be some amount of retirement to avoid sin and to falling into living like non-Christians. Creation being good is generally speaking of birds, trees, flowers, etc. not immoral artworks, non-Christian culture, etc. which is 'the world' without God we are as Christians taught to flee.

That we are at war with 'The world the flesh and the devil' is a fundamental teachings of the Church. It is necessary to consider how this works out in practice and its true meaning. We are not at war with our flesh in the physical sense that we consider it an evil creation, but fleshly desires opposing Godly ones, for example. We are not at war with physical creation, but the evil culture of non-Christian life. And naturally we are at war with the devil, who is always sending us temptations.

There is quite a library on Saints' Books to peruse. If electronic reading is not appealing when it is book sized, there certainly are these volumes available for purchase in print in various stores too.

St. John of the Cross, St. Aphonsus Maria de Ligouri, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Catherine of Genoa and St. Catherine of Siena, the books by and about these saints would be some good places to begin to see the value of contemplative prayer. The first Commandment is after all, love of God, the second, love of neighbor.

May God keep you happy and healthy my friend!

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 10:22:45 PM »

I thank you, now and always, for your comments and encouragement.  May we all be guided to truth in difficult concepts.   
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Quotes for the day and night « previous next »
Jump to: