Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quotes for the Day: Pentecost 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quotes for the Day: Pentecost  (Read 4411 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:30:06 AM »

'Actions speak louder than words; let your words teach and your actions speak. We are full of words but empty of actions, and therefore are cursed by the Lord, since he himself cursed the fig tree when he found no fruit but only leaves. It is useless for a man to flaunt his knowledge of the law if he undermines its teaching by his actions. But the apostles "spoke as the Spirit gave them the gift of speech." Happy the man whose words issue from the Holy Spirit and not from himself! We should speak, then, as the Holy Spirit gives us the gift of speech. Our humble and sincere request to the Spirit for ourselves should be that we may bring the day of Pentecost to fulfillment, insofar as he infuses us with his grace, by using our bodily senses in a perfect manner by keeping the commandments. Likewise we shall request that we may be filled with a keen sense of sorrow and with fiery tongues for confessing the faith so our deserved reward may be to stand in the blazing splendor of the saints and to look upon the triune God.'

St. Anthony of Padua

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »

'The office of the Holy Spirit is to inspire in us good inspirations, while our duty is to accept them and put them into operation by waging continual violence against our sensuality which always invites us to what is contrary to what the spirit wills. Therefore, it is necessary to resist it with true diligence and not to let the time granted to us pass by without acquiring the fruit of good works, as it is written:

Whoever wishes to go up, let him rest not
From thoughts, from speaking works and doing deeds
And always exerting himself in God.'

St. Catherine of Bologna

'We must faithfully keep what we have promised. If through human weakness we fail, we must always without delay arise again by means of holy penance, and give our attention to leading a good life and to dying a holy death. May the Father of all mercy, the Son by his holy passion, and the Holy Spirit, source of peace, sweetness and love, fill us with their consolation. Amen.'

St. Colette

'The Father bears witness from heaven to His Son. The Holy Spirit bears witness, coming down bodily in the form of a dove. The archangel Gabriel bears witness, bringing the good tidings to Mary. The Virgin Mother of God bears witness.'

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

'The Holy Spirit is light and strength. He teaches us to distinguish between truth and falsehood, and between good and evil. Like glasses that magnify objects, the Holy Spirit shows us good and evil on a large scale. With the Holy Spirit we see everything in its true proportions; we see the greatness of the least actions done for God, and the greatness of the least faults. As a watchmaker with his glasses distinguishes the most minute wheels of a watch, so we, with the light of the Holy Spirit, distinguish all the details of our poor life. Then the smallest imperfections appear very great, the least sins inspire us with horror. That is the reason why the most Holy Virgin never sinned. The Holy Spirit made her understand the hideousness of sin; she shuddered with terror at the least fault.

Those who have the Holy Spirit cannot endure themselves, so well do they know their poor misery. The proud are those who have not the Holy Spirit.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'The only form of dejection we should cultivate is the sorrow which goes with repentance for sin and is accompanied by hope in God. It was of this form of dejection that the Apostle said: 'Godly sorrow produces a saving repentance which is not to be repented of (2 Cor. 7:10). This 'godly sorrow' nourishes the soul through the hope engendered by repentance, and it is mingled with joy. That is why it makes us obedient and eager for every good work: accessible, humble, gentle, forbearing and patient in enduring all the suffering or tribulation God may send us. Possession of these qualities shows that a man enjoys the fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, goodness, faith, self-control (cf. Gal. 5:11). But from the other kind of dejection we come to know the fruits of the evil spirit: listlessness, impatience, anger, hatred, contentiousness, despair, sluggishness in praying. So we should shun this second form of dejection as we would unchastity, avarice, anger and the rest of the passions. It can be healed by prayer, hope in God, meditation on Holy Scripture, and by living with godly people.'

St. John Cassian

'The intellect changes from one to another of three different noetic states; that according to nature, above nature, and contrary to nature. When it enters the state according to nature, it finds that it is itself the cause of evil thoughts, and confesses its sins to God, clearly understanding the causes of the passions. When it is in the state contrary to nature, it forgets God's justice and fights with men, believing itself unjustly treated. But when it is raised to the state above nature, it finds the fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace and the other fruits of which the Apostle speaks (cf. Gal. 5:22); and it knows that if it gives priority to bodily cares it cannot remain in this state. An intellect that departs from this state falls into sin and all the terrible consequences of sin - if not immediately, then in due time, as God's justice shall decide.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Preoccupation with sensual comforts is another block to devotion because the person who indulges too much in worldly delights does not deserve those of the Holy Spirit.'

St. Peter of Alcantara

'Come, Holy Spirit. Spirit of truth, you are the reward of the saints, the comforter of souls, light in the darkness, riches to the poor, treasure to lovers, food for the hungry, comfort to those who are wandering; to sum up, you are the one in whom all treasures are contained. Come! As you descended upon Mary that the Word might become flesh, work in us through grace as you worked in her through nature and grace. Come! Food of every chaste thought, fountain of all mercy, sum of all purity. Come! Consume in us whatever prevents us from being consumed in you.'

St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi

'You could not love Jesus if you did not possess the living source of holy and pure love, namely, the Holy Spirit. Our divine Redeemer said, "He that believeth in Me, out of his belly shall flow streams of living water." (John 7:38.) This He said of the spirit which they should receive who believed in Him. Therefore, when God enkindles in you the flames of divine love, holy, pure, and without stain, let yourself disappear in the infinite Good, and, like an infant, sleep the sleep of faith and love in the bosom of your heavenly Spouse.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

'The only form of dejection we should cultivate is the sorrow which goes with repentance for sin and is accompanied by hope in God. It was of this form of dejection that the Apostle said: 'Godly sorrow produces a saving repentance which is not to be repented of (2 Cor. 7:10). This 'godly sorrow' nourishes the soul through the hope engendered by repentance, and it is mingled with joy. That is why it makes us obedient and eager for every good work: accessible, humble, gentle, forbearing and patient in enduring all the suffering or tribulation God may send us. Possession of these qualities shows that a man enjoys the fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, goodness, faith, self-control (cf. Gal. 5:11). But from the other kind of dejection we come to know the fruits of the evil spirit: listlessness, impatience, anger, hatred, contentiousness, despair, sluggishness in praying. So we should shun this second form of dejection as we would unchastity, avarice, anger and the rest of the passions. It can be healed by prayer, hope in God, meditation on Holy Scripture, and by living with godly people.'

St. John Cassian

(my own bolding)

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

it can be healed by prayer, hope in God, meditation on Holy Scripture, and by living with godly people.'

St. John Cassian

Being in contact with Godly people is a great help in persevering. I'm thinking of you all here as I write this.
Thanks be to God for the encouragement of good brothers and sisters.  Little Angel

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »

it can be healed by prayer, hope in God, meditation on Holy Scripture, and by living with godly people.'

St. John Cassian

Being in contact with Godly people is a great help in persevering. I'm thinking of you all here as I write this.
Thanks be to God for the encouragement of good brothers and sisters.  Little Angel

Amen!

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »

From my NAB Dictionary-Concordance: The Christian Feast of Pentecost commemorates the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles and on the Church which took place on the Jewish Feast of Pentecost, also called Harvest Festival Ex 23.16 and also Festival of Weeks Deut 16.9-10.  It was celebrated 7 weeks after the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
Speramus

Sancte Francisce de Sales, ora pro nobis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 12:38:42 PM »

Veni Sancte Spiritus
(sometimes called the Golden Sequence)

Come, Thou Holy Spirit, come,
and from Thy celestial home
shed a ray of light divine;

come, Thou Father of the poor,
come, Thou source of all our store,
come, within our hearts to shine.

Thou of comforters the best,
Thou the soul's most welcome guest,
sweet refreshment here below;

in our labour rest most sweet,
grateful coolness in the heat,
solace in the midst of woe.

O most blessèd Light divine,
shine within these hearts of thine,
and our inmost being fill;

where Thou art not, man hath naught,
nothing good in deed or Thought,
nothing free from taint of ill.

Heal our wounds; our strength renew;
on our dryness pour Thy dew;
wash the stains of guilt away;

bend the stubborn heart and will;
melt the frozen, warm the chill;
guide the steps that go astray.

On the faithful, who adore
and confess thee, evermore
in Thy sevenfold gifts descend:

Give them virtue's sure reward,
give them Thy salvation, Lord,
give them joys that never end.

Amen. Alleluia.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 06:59:54 PM »

When the great promise of the Spirit was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost,   
it was fulfilled not in reference to the apostles only.   

Charles Hodge
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quotes for the Day: Pentecost « previous next »
Jump to: