Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: The Five Books of Psalms 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Five Books of Psalms  (Read 5257 times)
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Latin
1 in finem pro torcularibus psalmus David
2 Domine Dominus noster quam admirabile est nomen tuum in universa terra quoniam elevata est magnificentia tua super caelos
3 ex ore infantium et lactantium perfecisti laudem propter inimicos tuos ut destruas inimicum et ultorem
4 quoniam videbo caelos tuos; opera digitorum tuorum lunam et stellas quae tu fundasti
5 quid est homo quod memor es eius aut filius hominis quoniam visitas eum
6 minuisti eum paulo minus ab angelis gloria et honore coronasti eum
7 et constituisti eum super opera manuum tuarum
8 omnia subiecisti sub pedibus eius oves et boves universas insuper et pecora campi
9 volucres caeli et pisces maris qui perambulant semitas maris
10 Domine Dominus noster quam admirabile est nomen tuum in universa terra
Douay Rheims
1Unto the end, for the presses: a psalm of David. O Lord our Lord, how admirable is thy name in the whole earth! For thy magnificence is elevated above the heavens.
2Out of the mouth of infants and of sucklings thou hast perfected praise, because of thy enemies, that thou mayst destroy the enemy and the avenger.
3For I will behold thy heavens, the works of thy fingers: the moon and the stars which thou hast founded.
4What is man that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man that thou visitest him?
5Thou hast made him a little less than the angels, thou hast crowned him with glory and honour:
6and hast set him over the works of thy hands.
7Thou hast subjected all things under his feet, all sheep and oxen: moreover the beasts also of the fields.
8The birds of the air, and the fishes of the sea, that pass through the paths of the sea.
9O Lord our Lord, how admirable is thy name in all the earth!
Brenton Septuagint
1For the end, concerning the wine-presses, a Psalm of David. O Lord, our Lord, how wonderful is thy name in all the earth! for thy magnificence is exalted above the heavens.
2Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou perfected praise, because of thine enemies; that thou mightest put down the enemy and avenger.
3For I will regard the heavens, the work of thy fingers; the moon and stars, which thou hast established.
4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5Thou madest him a little less than angels, thou hast crowned him with glory and honour;
6and thou hast set him over the works of thy hands: thou hast put all things under his feet:
7sheep and all oxen, yea and the cattle of the field;
8the birds of the sky, and the fish of the sea, the creatures passing through the paths of the sea.
9O Lord our Lord, how wonderful is thy name in all the earth!

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »

Reflection on Psalm 8
How serene Thy countenance is O Lord! How pleasant Thy vintage which Thy hands have labored and pressed! For Thy Word is as wine, bringing gladness to the face of men!
Truly o Lord, our Lord, Thy name is wonderful in all the earth! Thy magnificence is elevated above heaven and earth and all things rightly give Thee praise!
For Thou alone know our beginning! Thou have sublime knowledge of the mystery of our formation in the womb! For it was Thou who gave us life by Thy All Holy Spirit and fashioned us and knit us together within our mother!
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings Thou hast perfected praise!
Hosanna to the Son of David! Hosanna in the Highest! Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! We shall always bless Him in the house of the Lord! Hosanna to the Son of David!
Send Salvation, O Lord of Hosts, since Thou art an awesome and mighty God, Great and Holy, Perfect and Sublime, Good and True, and it is right and just that all things give Thee praise!
For who is like God?! Shouts the Archangel Michael, fair and true! Who is Almighty like the Lord?! The Lord alone is God, the Lord is God and He is One! There is no other! He is the first and the last! The beginning and the end!
He shall not give His glory to another! For the Lord alone is worthy of all glory! The Lord alone is worthy of all praise! The Lord alone is greater than all things! Therefore, all who oppose Him shall be slain by the breath of His mouth!
Fire shall devour those who oppose the Lord of Hosts! He shall come with judgement against the ungodly, the wicked, the lawless and the evildoer! They shall be consumed and the smoke of their torment shall rise up forever!
They who have overcome the enemy by the blood of the Lamb and by the Word of His testimony shall rejoice! Let us never fear the enemy! For God alone is to be feared! Do not fear the one who can kill the body!
Fear the one who can throw the body and soul into everlasting fire!
Let us not be as those who would not follow the Lord into eternal glory but let us love one another as He has loved us, forgiving each other our trespasses as He has forgiven us!
Let us pray for all people that they one day behold the glory of heaven!
Let us pray that all may recognize the work of His hands and serve the One True Living God, the Lord of Heaven and Earth!
For the moon and the stars do not give Him praise, but His angels and His saints do!
For the Lord has established the heavens to give Him glory! The Lord has fashioned the earth for the advantage of His elect and He fills it with His glory that all might recognize the Maker and Shaper of all things!
O that we would realize the goodness of the Lord! Then we would be as the angels who adore the Holy Lord eternally!
For it was the goodness of God and His divine plan of love that He should send His Word and Son into the world and make Him a little lower than the angels that we might not be afraid to approach Him who the angels adored in Bethlehem!
For though He was crowned with thorns by men, He has received the crown of glory and honor from God His Father!
God our Father has set His Son over all the works of His hands, that all things should be subjected under His feet.
For God has made all things, the sheep innocent and clean, the oxen strong and obedient, the cattle gentle and kind, the birds lofty and free, the fish both large and small, the whales majestic and mysterious, and all the creatures of the earth, from bee to elephant!
O Lord our Lord, how wonderful is Thy name in all the earth!
For Thou have brought us glad tidings, a Gospel of Great Joy to all the people!
Thy name is indeed admirable and I give Thee thanks all my days.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »

Psalm 9 which is Psalm 9&10 for the Septuagint
Latin
In finem, pro occultis filii. Psalmus David.
2 Confitebor tibi, Domine, in toto corde meo; narrabo omnia mirabilia tua.
3 Laetabor et exsultabo in te; psallam nomini tuo, Altissime.
4 In convertendo inimicum meum retrorsum; infirmabuntur, et peribunt a facie tua.
5 Quoniam fecisti judicium meum et causam meam; sedisti super thronum, qui judicas justitiam.
6 Increpasti gentes, et periit impius: nomen eorum delesti in aeternum, et in saeculum saeculi.
7 Inimici defecerunt frameae in finem, et civitates eorum destruxisti. Periit memoria eorum cum sonitu;
8 et Dominus in aeternum permanet. Paravit in judicio thronum suum,
9 et ipse judicabit orbem terrae in aequitate: judicabit populos in justitia.
10 Et factus est Dominus refugium pauperi; adjutor in opportunitatibus, in tribulatione.
11 Et sperent in te qui noverunt nomen tuum, quoniam non dereliquisti quaerentes te, Domine.
12 Psallite Domino qui habitat in Sion; annuntiate inter gentes studia ejus:
13 quoniam requirens sanguinem eorum recordatus est; non est oblitus clamorem pauperum.
14 Miserere mei, Domine: vide humilitatem meam de inimicis meis,
15 qui exaltas me de portis mortis, ut annuntiem omnes laudationes tuas in portis filiae Sion:
16 exultabo in salutari tuo. Infixae sunt gentes in interitu quem fecerunt; in laqueo isto quem absconderunt comprehensus est pes eorum.
17 Cognoscetur Dominus judicia faciens; in operibus manuum suarum comprehensus est peccator.
18 Convertantur peccatores in infernum, omnes gentes quae obliviscuntur Deum.
19 Quoniam non in finem oblivio erit pauperis; patientia pauperum non peribit in finem.
20 Exsurge, Domine; non confortetur homo: judicentur gentes in conspectu tuo.
21 Constitue, Domine, legislatorem super eos, ut sciant gentes quoniam homines sunt.
22 Ut quid, Domine, recessisti longe; despicis in opportunitatibus, in tribulatione?
23 Dum superbit impius, incenditur pauper: comprehenduntur in consiliis quibus cogitant.
24 Quoniam laudatur peccator in desideriis animae suae, et iniquus benedicitur.
25 Exacerbavit Dominum peccator: secundum multitudinem irae suae, non quaeret.
26 Non est Deus in conspectu ejus; inquinatae sunt viae illius in omni tempore. Auferuntur judicia tua a facie ejus; omnium inimicorum suorum dominabitur.
27 Dixit enim in corde suo: Non movebor a generatione in generationem, sine malo.
28 Cujus maledictione os plenum est, et amaritudine, et dolo; sub lingua ejus labor et dolor.
29 Sedet in insidiis cum divitibus in occultis, ut interficiat innocentem.
30 Oculi ejus in pauperem respiciunt; insidiatur in abscondito, quasi leo in spelunca sua. Insidiatur ut rapiat pauperem; rapere pauperem dum attrahit eum.
31 In laqueo suo humiliabit eum; inclinabit se, et cadet cum dominatus fuerit pauperum.
32 Dixit enim in corde suo: Oblitus est Deus; avertit faciem suam, ne videat in finem.
33 Exsurge, Domine Deus, exaltetur manus tua; ne obliviscaris pauperum.
34 Propter quid irritavit impius Deum? dixit enim in corde suo: Non requiret.
35 Vides, quoniam tu laborem et dolorem consideras, ut tradas eos in manus tuas. Tibi derelictus est pauper; orphano tu eris adjutor.
36 Contere brachium peccatoris et maligni; quaeretur peccatum illius, et non invenietur.
37 Dominus regnabit in aeternum, et in saeculum saeculi; peribitis, gentes, de terra illius.
38 Desiderium pauperum exaudivit Dominus; praeparationem cordis eorum audivit auris tua:
39 judicare pupillo et humili, ut non apponat ultra magnificare se homo super terram.
Douay Rheims
Unto the end, for the hidden things of the Son. A psalm for David.
2 I will give praise to thee, O Lord, with my whole heart: I will relate all thy wonders.
3 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing to thy name, O thou most high.
4 When my enemy shall be turned back: they shall be weakened and perish before thy face.
5 For thou hast maintained my judgment and my cause: thou hast sat on the throne, who judgest justice.
6 Thou hast rebuked the Gentiles, and the wicked one hath perished: thou hast blotted out their name for ever and ever.
7 The swords of the enemy have failed unto the end: and their cities thou hast destroyed. Their memory hath perished with a noise.
8 But the Lord remaineth for ever. He hath prepared his throne in judgment:
9 And he shall judge the world in equity, he shall judge the people in justice.
10 And the Lord is become a refuge for the poor: a helper in due time in tribulation.
11 And let them trust in thee who know thy name: for thou hast not forsaken them that seek thee, O Lord.
12 Sing ye to the Lord, who dwelleth in Sion: declare his ways among the Gentiles:
13 For requiring their blood he hath remembered the: he hath not forgotten the cry of the poor.
14 Have mercy on me, O Lord: see my humiliation which I suffer from my enemies.
15 Thou that liftest me up from the gates of death, that I may declare all thy praises in the gates of the daughter of Sion.
16 I will rejoice in thy salvation: the Gentiles have stuck fast in the destruction which they have prepared. Their foot hath been taken in the very snare which they hid.
17 The Lord shall be known when he executeth judgments: the sinner hath been caught in the works of his own hands.
18 The wicked shall be turned into hell, all the nations that forget God.
19 For the poor man shall not be forgotten to the end: the patience of the poor shall not perish for ever.
20 Arise, O Lord, let not man be strengthened: let the Gentiles be judged in thy sight.
21 Appoint, O Lord, a lawgiver over them: that the Gentiles may know themselves to be but men.
22 Why, O Lord, hast thou retired afar off? why dost thou slight us in our wants, in the time of trouble?
23 Whilst the wicked man is proud, the poor is set on fire: they are caught in the counsels which they devise.
24 For the sinner is praised in the desires of his soul: and the unjust man is blessed.
25 The sinner hath provoked the Lord according to the multitude of his wrath he will not seek him:
26 God is not before his eyes: his ways are filthy at all times. Thy judgments are removed from his sight: he shall rule over all his enemies.
27 For he hath said in his heart: I shall not be moved from generation to generation, and shall be without evil.
28 His mouth is full of cursing, and of bitterness, and of deceit: under his tongue are labour and sorrow.
29 He sitteth in ambush with the rich in private places, that he may kill the innocent.
30 His eyes are upon the poor man: He lieth in wait in secret like a lion in his den. He lieth in ambush that he may catch the poor man: to catch the poor, whilst he draweth him to him.
31 In his net he will bring him down, he will crouch and fall, when he shall have power over the poor.
32 For he hath said in his heart: God hath forgotten, he hath turned away his face not to see to the end.
33 Arise, O Lord God, let thy hand be exalted: forget not the poor.
34 Wherefore hath the wicked provoked God? for he hath said in his heart: He will not require it.
35 Thou seest it, for thou considerest labour and sorrow: that thou mayst deliver them into thy hands. To thee is the poor man left: thou wilt be a helper to the orphan.
36 Break thou the arm of the sinner and of the malignant: his sin shall be sought, and shall not be found.
37 The Lord shall reign to eternity, yea, for ever and ever: ye Gentiles shall perish from his land.
38 The Lord hath heard the desire of the poor: thy ear hath heard the preparation of their heart.
39 To judge for the fatherless and for the humble, that man may no more presume to magnify himself upon earth.
Brenton Septuagint
1For the end, a Psalm of David, concerning the secrets of the Son. I will give thanks to thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will recount all thy wonderful works.
2I will be glad and exult in thee: I will sing to thy name, O thou Most High.
3When mine enemies are turned back, they shall be feeble and perish at thy presence.
4For thou hast maintained my cause and my right; thou satest on the throne, that judgest righteousness.
5Thou hast rebuked the nations, and the ungodly one has perished; thou hast blotted out their name for ever, even for ever and ever.
6The swords of the enemy have failed utterly; and thou hast destroyed cities: their memorial has been destroyed with a noise,
7but the Lord endures for ever: he has prepared his throne for judgment.
8And he will judge the world in righteousness, he will judge the nations in uprightness.
9The Lord also is become a refuge for the poor, a seasonable help, in affliction.
10And let them that know thy name hope in thee: for thou, O Lord, hast not failed them that diligently seek thee.
11Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Sion: declare his dealings among the nations.
12For he remembered them, in making inquisition for blood: he has not forgotten the supplication of the poor.
13Have mercy upon me, O Lord; look upon my affliction which I suffer of mine enemies, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:
14that I may declare all thy praises in the gates of the daughter of Sion: I will exult in thy salvation.
15The heathen are caught in the destruction which they planned: in the very snare which they hid is their foot taken.
16The Lord is known as executing judgments: the sinner is taken in the works of his hands. A song of Pause.
17Let sinners be driven away into Hades, even all the nations that forget God.
18For the poor shall not be forgotten for ever: the patience of the needy ones shall not perish for ever.
19Arise, O Lord, let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged before thee.
20Appoint, O Lord, a lawgiver over them: let the heathen know that they are men. Pause.
Psalm 10
1Why standest thou afar off, O Lord? why dost thou overlook us in times of need, in affliction?
2While the ungodly one acts proudly, the poor is hotly pursued: the wicked are taken in the crafty counsels which they imagine.
3Because the sinner praises himself for the desires of his heart; and the unjust one blesses himself.
4The sinner has provoked the Lord: according to the abundance of his pride he will not seek after him: God is not before him.
5His ways are profane at all times; thy judgments are removed from before him: he will gain the mastery over all his enemies.
6For he has said in his heart, I shall not be moved, continuing without evil from generation to generation.
7Whose mouth is full of cursing, and bitterness, and fraud: under his tongue are trouble and pain.
8He lies in wait with rich men in secret places, in order to slay the innocent: his eyes are set against the poor.
9He lies in wait in secret as a lion in his den: he lies in wait to ravish the poor, to ravish the poor when he draws him after him: he will bring him down in his snare.
10He will bow down and fall when he has mastered the poor.
11For he has said in his heart, God has forgotten: he has turned away his face so as never to look.
12Arise, O Lord God; let thy hand be lifted up: forget not the poor.
13Wherefore, has the wicked provoked God? for he has said in his heart, He will not require it.
14Thou seest it; for thou dost observe trouble and wrath, to deliver them into thy hands: the poor has been left to thee; thou wast a helper to the orphan.
15Break thou the arm of the sinner and wicked man: his sin shall be sought for, and shall not be found.
16The Lord shall reign for ever, even for ever and ever: ye Gentiles shall perish out his land.
17The Lord has heard the desire of the poor: thine ear has inclined to the preparation of their heart;
18to plead for the orphan and afflicted, that man may no more boast upon the earth.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 03:29:12 AM »

Reflection on Psalm 9 part 1
The Goal of the Gospel of the Beloved is the salvation of souls.
I will give thanks to the Lord, with my whole heart,  
I will recall His wonderful deeds
Great and many are the deeds of the Lord
Creation began when God spoke the Word and sent His Spirit to hallow the waters of creation.
Great is the Lord who hallowed the waters of creation by His All Holy Life Giving Spirit!
For before the Spirit came, the Universe was void of holiness and empty in substance.
The Spirit of the Perfection of God brooded over the waters, gently and sublime in Wisdom.
Heaven and the Host of Heaven were made by the Spirit of the Lord.
By the breath of His Mouth the Hosts were formed.
When the names of the hosts were called by the Ineffable One, they came into being.
Beings made of supermundane light, sparks from the Super-Essential Fire, the angels were created by the True Light.
The Prime Intelligence created the celestial intelligences, the Supreme Mind created the heavenly minds, the Immaterial One, the Lord of Hosts created the heavenly host.
Great is the Lord, praised and exalted above the cherubim!
Holy is the Lord, hallowed and blessed by the seraphim!
Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, enthroned in glory, enlightening and sanctifying those who love the Lord God with all their heart, all their mind and all their strength, with purity of heart and trust in God.
Praise be God who translated Enoch that he would not see death!
Praise be God who preserved Noah and instructed him in the architecture of the ark!
Praise be God who blessed the Seed of Abraham that all nations would be blessed through him!
Praise be God who preserved Isaac from death by the command of the angel of the Lord!
Praise be God who empowered Jacob to overcome men and angels with the strength of God!
Praise be God who preserved Ishmael from death and showed mercy on handmaiden Hagar!
Praise be God who saved Joseph from despair and exalted Joseph by grace through humility and chastity, Joseph overcame the temptress and forgave his brethren!
Praise be God who preserved Moses from destruction at the hands of Pharaoh by the gracious aid of holy Hebrew Midwives of which the name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah!
Praise be God who gave Israel the Law and set them free from bondage!
Praise be God who established worship, confession and repentance even from of old!
Praise be God who sent the Holy Prophets!

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »

Reflection on Psalm 9 part 2
Let the praise of my heart be offered to Thee Almighty God!
For Thou hast made me to be glad in Thy goodness and Thy works have dazzled my soul with Thy glory!
Fill my heart with a new song O God!
Let the Song of the Gospel be within me and may the meditation of my heart be pleasing to Thee.
I will sing, o my soul, I will sung of the glory of the name of God!
I will bless His name forever, O blessed name, O sacred treasure!
O Most High turn back my diabolical enemies in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!
Turn back all my demonic foes, and let them be utterly ashamed!
Let the devils which assault me stumble and let the demons who oppress me be driven into the unending fires!
Unveil Thy might against my demonic foes O God and leave not one standing in Thy awesome presence!
Deliever my earthly enemies from there slavery to satan, bring Thy blessing upon them and shelter them in the shade of Thy peace from the dreadful day of Judgement.
Make feeble the the wicked serpents who strike at my heel and give me strength to crush their heads into the dust by the power of Christ.
For you are the Maintainer of Justice.
You are the First Cause and the Ultimate End, the Alpha and the Omega!
You are the Source of Righteousness!
I turn to Thee in supplication and pray that Thou would justify me by Thy grace!
Our Lord Jesus Christ shall come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and He shall judge justly all the nations.
In the exercise of His divine mercy He shall confer immortality upon all those who have kept His commandments and turned from wickedness by the power of the Holy Spirit.
He shall rebuke the nations with righteous fury He shall render judgement upon the wicked according to their crimes.
He shall blot out the names of the wicked from the Book of Life and they shall never enter into heaven.
O Most Merciful God, O Most Gracious Lord, O Most Benevolent Sovereign, O Most Loving Master, do not allow us to be consumed by Thy fury but in the greatness of Thy mercy grant us pardon and peace and eternal rest.
For You O Lord art our Rock and our Refuge.
You O God are a Stronghold of Justice and a Shelter for sinners to run into, calling upon the name of the Lord in humility and repentance and You shall hide us from Thy wrath and cleanse us in the blood of the Lamb.
The swords of the enemies kill the bodies but they have failed to kill the soul, for You O God deliever the soul from eternal death and with Thee is Eternal Life and Unending Joy!
The cities of Sodom and Gammorah are no more, neither are they wept for but God is glorified in their destruction.
But You O Lord endure forever!
You are our Hope and our Sweetness O Sovereign God!
You are our Peace and our Gladness O Blessed God!
You O God have prepared Your judgment before Eternity and You know whom shall inherit eternal life with Thee and who shall reject Thee and turn to satan.
With Thee O God is Life and with Thee is Beatitude!
With Thee O God is pardon and peace!
You shall judge all peoples in equity and with mercy, and you shall judge the world by fire and make all things new!
You shall renovate the whole of Thy creation and the heavens shall roll up as a scroll and vanish and the stars shall fall from heaven and the elements of the earth shall be laid bare, but Thy Majesty shall regenerate the universe, transfiguring all things in the Light of Thy countenance and a New Heaven and a New Earth shall appear!
O Lord you are a Refuge for the poor and the humble!
You are a Helper of all who are in tribulation, You give seasonable help in affliction!
Let all who know the name of the Lord trust in Thee O God!
For You never forsake those who diligently seek Thee neither do you fail those who vigilantly watch for Thee!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 04:10:06 AM by Benedict » Logged

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »

Psalm 11: Vulgate, Douay-Rheims, Brenton Septuagint
In finem. Psalmus David.
2 In Domino confido ; quomodo dicitis animæ meæ :
 Transmigra in montem sicut passer
3 Quoniam ecce peccatores intenderunt arcum ;
paraverunt sagittas suas in pharetra, ut sagittent in obscuro rectos corde : 4 quoniam quæ perfecisti destruxerunt ; justus autem, quid fecit ?
5 Dominus in templo sancto suo ; Dominus in cælo sedes ejus.
Oculi ejus in pauperem respiciunt ; palpebræ ejus interrogant filios hominum.
 6 Dominus interrogat justum et impium ;
qui autem diligit iniquitatem, odit animam suam.
7 Pluet super peccatores laqueos ;
ignis et sulphur, et spiritus procellarum, pars calicis eorum.
8 Quoniam justus Dominus, et justitias dilexit :
æquitatem vidit vultus ejus.
1 «Unto the end. A psalm to David.»
2 In the Lord I put my trust: how then do you say to my soul: Get thee away from hence to the mountain, like a sparrow.
3 For, lo, the wicked have bent their bow: they have prepared their arrows in the quiver, to shoot in the dark the upright of heart.
4 For they have destroyed the things which thou hast made: but what has the just man done?
5 The Lord is in his holy temple, the Lord’s throne is in heaven. His eyes look on the poor man: his eyelids examine the sons of men.
6 The Lord trieth the just and the wicked: but he that loveth iniquity, hateth his own soul.
7 He shall rain snares upon sinners: fire and brimstone, and storms of winds, shall be the portion of their cup.
8 For the Lord is just, and hath loved justice: his countenance hath beheld righteousness.
1 For the end, a Psalm of David.
2 In the Lord I have put my trust: how will ye say to my soul, Flee to the mountains as a sparrow.
3 For behold the sinners have bent their bow, they have prepared their arrows for the quiver, to shoot privily at the upright in heart.
4 For they have pulled down what thou didst frame, but what has the righteous done?
5 The Lord is in his holy temple, as for the Lord, his throne is in heaven: his eyes look upon the poor, his eyelids try the sons of men.
6 The Lord tries the righteous and the ungodly: and he that loves unrighteousness hates his own soul.
7 He shall rain upon sinners snares, fire, and brimstone, and a stormy blast shall be the portion of their cup.
8 For the Lord is righteous, and loves  righteousness; his face beholds uprightness.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:26:30 PM by Benedict » Logged

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »

Deepest thanks and congratulations for your effort in continuing these; obviously many people have referred to them and they are a great standard for comparison with other translations.
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 10:29:16 PM »

Deepest thanks and congratulations for your effort in continuing these; obviously many people have referred to them and they are a great standard for comparison with other translations.
I am glad that you appreciate this thread. God-willing I will continue posting Psalms and reflections.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 05:12:07 PM »

Reflection on Psalm 11
In the Lord is my trust and He gives me perfect peace.
I have found refuge admist the mountain of the Lord for He has cleansed my hands and purified my lips and my heart is filled with songs of His salvation.
O come and let us soar hence as the dove of silver wings and as the Phoenix rises again let us with minds enlightened by the Wisdom of God take up the wings of love and soar towards the heavens that we may escape the corruption of this world.
O my Jesus, the arrows of passion have pierced my flesh and their poisonous darts have rotted my bones, do Thou O Incorruptible Medicine of Immortality save me!
O Jesus break the arms of the wicked and tear asunder their bows and do Thou shield me with Thy mercy!
For You O God are my Righteousness and You are the God of my heart, dwelling in peace and filling me with Holy Lighy of Perfect Joy.
Shield my heart with the Armor of Light and place upon me the breastplate of righteousness that I may withstand the arrows of the foe in the day of battle.
For if Thou dost given them permission to destroy the work of Thy hands then I shall have no escape, but Thou art a Good and Gracious God, the Protector of the weak and the Salvation of the just!
Therefore take pity upon me a sinner and turn Thy wrath away from me and place me under the protection of Thy right hand that I may rise in glory and not in shame!
For what hope has the just man in his own justice? For pride is the fall of those who believe that they are unable to fall, but you O God ordain the humiliation of the proud man that he may obtain a place among the penitent and find mercy in Thy sight.
But You O Lord art Holy, enthroned forever above the highest heaven and You are worshipped in Thy Holy Temple by countless Angels and all the blessed souls of those who have pleased You throught the ages.
Thy mercy is upon the poor and humble yet You test the children of men to see if they will obey Wisdom.
O Lord you purify the just man and cleanse the wicked.
You look upon the lovers of iniquity as an abomination and you send affliction upon those who love unrighteousness.
O Lord Lover of Mankind have mercy on us! We have sinned, we have not payed You the honor, glory and worship due to You but have given them to men, and beasts and the works of our hands!
We have fallen into Thy snare O Lord and there is none to deliever us but You O God!
For the sake of Thy exceedingly Great Mercy, look with compassion on us sinners and so Thou raise us up and carry us upon our shoulders for You are our Shepherd and we are the sheep of your hand!
Deliever us O Lord from the fires of hell!
Save us O God from the abomination of desolation!
Grant us peace O Master from the storms of passion!
Rebuke the prince of the power of the air and ransom us from evil!
For You O God art our portion and our inheritance!
From Thy Altar of God, You offer us the Cup of Salvation and the Wine of Immortality, be not exceedingly wroth with us but in Thy mercy hear and save us poor sinners who cry to Thee "Lord save us from everlasting death!"
For You are Just O God and Righteous, Merciful and Kind, slow to anger and swift to forgive and You have loved justice and righteousness, therefore grant to us miserable sinners repentance and righteousness, penitence and justice, compunction and charity!
Grant that by Thy grace we may be made just and look upon Thy face in the recompense of Thy Lovingkindness!
Amen

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 05:32:36 PM »

Psalm 12: Vulgate, Douay-Rheims, Brenton Septuagint
1 In finem, pro octava. Psalmus David.
2 Salvum me fac, Domine, quoniam defecit sanctus,
 quoniam diminutae sunt veritates a filiis hominum.
3 Vana locuti sunt unusquisque ad proximum suum;
labia dolosa, in corde et corde locuti sunt.
4 Disperdat Dominus universa labia dolosa, et linguam magniloquam.
5 Qui dixerunt: Linguam nostram magnificabimus;
 labia nostra a nobis sunt. Quis noster dominus est?
6 Propter miseriam inopum, et gemitum pauperum, nunc exsurgam, dicit Dominus.
 Ponam in salutari; fiducialiter agam in eo.
7 Eloquia Domini, eloquia casta;
argentum igne examinatum, probatum terrae, purgatum septuplum.
8 Tu, Domine, servabis nos, et custodies nos a generatione hac in aeternum.
9 In circuitu impii ambulant: secundum altitudinem tuam multiplicasti filios hominum.
?1 Unto the end: for the octave, a psalm for David.
2 Save me, O Lord, for there is now no saint: truths are decayed from among the children of men.
3 They have spoken vain things, every one to his neighbour: with deceitful lips, and with a double heart have they spoken.
4 May the Lord destroy all deceitful lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things.
5 Who have said: We will magnify our tongue: our lips are our own: who is Lord over us?
6 By reason of the misery of the needy, and the groans of the poor, now will I arise, saith the Lord. I will set him in safety: I will deal confidently in his regard.
7 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried by the fire, purged from the earth, refined seven times.
8 Thou, O Lord, wilt preserve us: and keep us from this generation for ever.
9 The wicked walk round about: according to thy highness, thou hast multiplied the children of men.
1 For the end, A Psalm of David, upon the eighth.
Save me, O Lord; for the godly man has failed; for truth is diminished from among the children of men.
2 Every one has spoken vanity to his neighbour: their lips are deceitful, they have spoken with a double heart.
3 Let the Lord destroy all the deceitful lips, and the tongue that speaks great words:
4 who have said, We will magnify our tongue; our lips are our own: who is Lord of us?
5 Because of the misery of the poor, and because of the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord, I will set them in safety; I will speak to them thereof openly.
6 The oracles of the Lord are pure oracles; as silver tried in the fire, proved in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us, and shalt preserve us, from this generation, and for ever.
8 The ungodly walk around: according to thy greatness thou has greatly exalted the sons of men.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:53:35 AM by Benedict » Logged

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »

Reflection on Psalm 12
Perfection belongs to the Eighth Day, the New Creation, the Revitalization of the Universe.
Dear Lord, save me from remaining a sinner and make a saint of me.
O God of heaven, teach me Thy Truth that godliness may not diminish but flourish in me by Thy Grace. Open my mouth that I may declare to the children of men the marvelous things of Wisdom. Preserve my mouth from speaking vanities and guard my tongue from deceit. Seal my heart with fidelity to You O God and restore within me Thy blessed image and likeness which I have deformed by my sin.
O Lord if every lips lie, Thou alone shalt remain true and Thy Word fails not nor changes. If I have spoke proud things and rendered unjust judgments, my God, forgive me and undo the wickedness which I have performed. Perfect Lord, grant me humility and repentance, obedience and kindness, mercy and love which casts out fear. For I shall magnify Thy Truth O God and I shall glorify Thy Name o Most High! Steadfast have you been since the days of old and Thy Covenant Thou hast kept from the day of their inception. My lips O Lord are Yours, fill them with Thy praise, grace then with Thy Truth, circumcise them with Thy Love.
Merciful Lord, look upon the poor and needy, for they are Thine own, the sheep of Thy flock, the remnants of great nations once long ago. Arise O Lord in kindness and establish them in Thy safety, procure for them Thy peace which never fails. Speak to their souls, give them confidence in Thee and make known to them the treasures of Thy Mercy.

O Sovereign Lord of Sacred Eloquence, O Pure Word which refines the virtues of men with the Living Flames of Love. Purify O Lord, sevenfold our hearts and minds, souls and bodies, hands and feet and tongue by the Sevenfold Gifts of Thy Heavenly Spirit that we may come forth from every trial more pure and holier still. Set bounds around the wicked, prevent them from walking in evil and cause them to return to You that they may multiply their praise of Thee and bear fruit in abundance. Amen

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: The Five Books of Psalms « previous next »
Jump to: