Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2021, 10:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Fr John Kersten: Bible Meditations for Every Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fr John Kersten: Bible Meditations for Every Day  (Read 66 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »

I pulled this book out of the cellar almost at random for something new to read at camp.  Fr Kersten's career was very interesting (although he says not a word about it in the book), and he has chosen a series of daily Scripture readings and added his own commentaries to encourage meditation.  By a very strange coincidence I decided to write a post about starting these meditations on the same day (4/29) that I found about an hour after I wrote my post a recent article about Pope Francis' recent teaching about how to properly meditate.
Now I am going back to read whatever comments there may be on the two posts.  And to try to reconcile these messages about meditation.
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »

Catechism on MEDITATION
2705 Meditation is above all a quest. The mind seeks to understand the why and how of the Christian life, in order to adhere and respond to what the Lord is asking. The required attentiveness is difficult to sustain. We are usually helped by books, and Christians do not want for them: the Sacred Scriptures, particularly the Gospels, holy icons, liturgical texts of the day or season, writings of the spiritual fathers, works of spirituality, the great book of creation, and that of history the page on which the "today" of God is written.
2706 To meditate on what we read helps us to make it our own by confronting it with ourselves. Here, another book is opened: the book of life. We pass from thoughts to reality. To the extent that we are humble and faithful, we discover in meditation the movements that stir the heart and we are able to discern them. It is a question of acting truthfully in order to come into the light: "Lord, what do you want me to do?"
2707 There are as many and varied methods of meditation as there are spiritual masters. Christians owe it to themselves to develop the desire to meditate regularly, lest they come to resemble the three first kinds of soil in the parable of the sower.5 But a method is only a guide; the important thing is to advance, with the Holy Spirit, along the one way of prayer: Christ Jesus.
2708 Meditation engages thought, imagination, emotion, and desire. This mobilization of faculties is necessary in order to deepen our convictions of faith, prompt the conversion of our heart, and strengthen our will to follow Christ. Christian prayer tries above all to meditate on the mysteries of Christ, as in lectio divina or the rosary. This form of prayerful reflection is of great value, but Christian prayer should go further: to the knowledge of the love of the Lord Jesus, to union with him.

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

Many thanks for your very helpful reminder.  I have a full 3-ring devoted to meditation at home, but little here at camp but my new Fr Kersten book, and my Catechism.  It is fascinating that almost 90 pages are devoted to prayer, and Pope Francis' recent Address prompts me to consider further the CCC 2708 passage that prayer seeks above all to meditate on the mysteries of Christ, but should go further to knowledge of and union with Him.
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:15:26 PM »

Many thanks for your very helpful reminder.  I have a full 3-ring devoted to meditation at home, but little here at camp but my new Fr Kersten book, and my Catechism.  It is fascinating that almost 90 pages are devoted to prayer, and Pope Francis' recent Address prompts me to consider further the CCC 2708 passage that prayer seeks above all to meditate on the mysteries of Christ, but should go further to knowledge of and union with Him.
With prayer it is a great grace to gain knowledge of God and an even greater grace to attain union with God. Union with God is a grace that radically transforms life. Mystical prayer, being entirely the merit of God, is far more desirable than natural prayer. For natural prayer takes effort on the part of the one praying but mystical prayer is sustained by the overflow of the Holy Spirit within the one praying such that the one praying becomes like a vessel being filled with the grace of the Holy Spirit and brought into greater communion with God. Though the effects of mystical prayer cannot be caused by any amount of natural effort, because mystical prayer is a work of grace effected by God within the one who prays.
Therefore natural prayer or acquired prayer is the normative means of acquiring merit through prayer being effected by the will and enacted by the intellect for the benefit of the soul, for to praise God and to offer worship to God are things that the heart can do. Simply recalling the works of God or remembering the benefits which God gives to the Saints can be turned into a prayer simply by the intention of the will and the understanding of the mind. The mind and the heart are greatly benefitted by spontaneous and unceasing prayer. This prayer does not require the normal eloquence of oration but can simply be blessing God or adoring God's goodness silently or humbly asking God's mercy.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »

Fr John's book has good indexes both for topics addressed and also for Scripture verses cited.  He has 11 index references to prayer, the first is the Jan 7 meditation entitled "He has given us of His Spirit," which reflects the 1 John 4:13-17.  Fr John has used the NAB 1970 edition, but here at camp I have only the 1986 edition, which has many more changes than I would have imagined.  Curiously the index cites the meditation topic as "God's help needed for prayer." 
Fr John's Introduction to the meditation starts with "There is no doubt that "how to pray" is a problem for many Christians."  The meditation emphasis is on God's love, His presence in us, and our presence in Him.  It seems a stark contrast to Pope Francis' reported emphasis on prayer and meditation through Jesus.  I found two separate articles about the Pope's General Address on 4/28/21, but I'm unable to find the full English translation for any General Audience- would you know how to find them.?
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 12:43:40 PM »

Fr John's book has good indexes both for topics addressed and also for Scripture verses cited.  He has 11 index references to prayer, the first is the Jan 7 meditation entitled "He has given us of His Spirit," which reflects the 1 John 4:13-17. 
Feel free to share any meditations that you think are edifying.

PAX
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Fr John Kersten: Bible Meditations for Every Day « previous next »
Jump to: