Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2021, 01:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Dictionary of Saints 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Dictionary of Saints  (Read 1139 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »

I am remiss in not having acknowledged that I am frequently using the Saint of the Day book by Fr Leonard Foley OFM, but often adding concepts from John Delaney.  Today is the Feast of the Transfiguration, and I was slow to notice Foley's explanation of changes in this edition (1990) and related remarks.  He said he added Roman Calendar Solemnities which have no specific Sunday or other Holy Day, but I need to bring an older edition to camp to understand which ones he refers to.
Next he comments the Solemnity is the highest category of Liturgical Celebration, citing seven, two each for our Lord Jesus and Holy Mother Mary, but not specified, and three more, for Ss Joseph, John the Baptist, and Peter and Paul (6/29).
Foley comments that Feasts ate the next highest Celebration, followed by Obligatory Memorials (about 1/3 of Saints Days), and Optional Memorials.  Until today I did not realize that my reference to the Feast day of a Saint was inappropriate, and I regret it.  I don't mean to seem "legalistic," I just believe in trying to keep our terminology precise and consistent.
Lord Jesus, Ss Peter, John, James, and John please pray for us, and help us imagine the Glory, Majesty, Splendor, and Beauty of our Lord Jesus.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Book Study  |  Topic: Dictionary of Saints « previous next »
Jump to: