Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St Hilarion c 291-c371 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: St Hilarion c 291-c371  (Read 862 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

St Hilarion was born in Palestine, educated in Alexandria and stayed with St Antony the hermit in the desert for some time.  He became renowned for miracles as well as asceticism, and moved repeatedly in search of solitude, including Sicily, Dalmatia, and Syprus, as well as returns to Palestine and Egypt.  St Hilarion please pray for us.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »

After converting to Christianity, Hilarion did not attend the theatre, circus, and arena. Were these considered bad influences?
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:56:33 PM »

I still consider them generally to be bad influences, and include TV, internet, radio, and most publications.  I doubt that many of us burnout from work, rather it's from our near frantic and constant search for excitement and entertainment.  Let's look for some good quotes.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 07:22:16 PM »

At Thabatha, his parents having died, Hilarion gave his inheritance to his brothers and the poor and left for the wilderness.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 03:30:27 AM »

'Go forth, what do you fear? Go forth, my soul, why do you hesitate? You have served nearly seventy years, and do you fear death?'

St. Hilarion's last words

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »

Many thanks to Shin for the wonderful quote above.  At Cyprus (please forgive my misspelling in first post), where St Hilarion died several years after he and his disciple St Hesychius had moved inland from Paphos, crowds came seeking miracles just as they had previously come seeking Hilarion in Palestine, Egypt, and Dalmatia.  Hesychius was in Palestine when Hilarion died, but he returned to Cyprus to get the body and return it to the monastery at Majuma, near Gaza, Palestine, where they had first met.  May both these Saints pray for us.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St Hilarion c 291-c371 « previous next »
Jump to: