Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: European wars of religion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: European wars of religion  (Read 1053 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2022, 04:40:17 PM »

The European wars of religion were a series of wars waged in Europe during the 16th, 17th, and early 18th centuries.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »

It is my impression that wars are almost always waged by nations seeking power, wealth, and property.  My recollection of Hitler's most discussed objective was something like leben-space (sorry for spelling- ie space for living).  Despite his holocaust, I can't imagine anyone blaming his war, or most wars, on religion, except of course, the atheists, who blame everything on religion.  Only communists could call the invasion of Ukraine a religious war, caused by Catholics in Ukraine.  Even in Ireland and France,
when clearly the fighting was almost entirely between protestants and Catholics, it seems to me they were fighting primarily over property and government control.  Atheists love to criticize the Crusades as Christian wars, without any regard to the previous conquest of the Holy Land, not to mention also much of Africa, Asia and Europe by Persians and Turks.  I'm aware of many religious saints and martyrs, and some who have argued in defense of religions, but few who fought about it.   
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »

The German Peasant's War was a widespread revolt in some German-speaking areas in Central Europe from   
 1524 to 1525. It failed because of the intense opposition of the aristocracy. The aristocracy     
slaughtered up to 100,000 of the 300,000 poorly armed peasants and farmers. The survivors were fined. 
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »

First War of Kappel (1529-1531)     
This conflict saw the establishment of the Christian Union (formed of cantons Lucerne, Uri, Schwyz, Unterwalten,     
and Zug of the Old Swiss Confederacy) in order to stop the spread of Protestantism throughout Switzerland.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »

The Hussite Wars also called the Bohemian Wars (1419-1434) were a series of civil wars fought between the Hussites   
and rhe combined Catholic forces of Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund, the Papacy, European monarchs   
loyal to the Catholic Church, as well as various factions.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 04:10:24 PM »

The War of Two Kings in the Kalmar Union of Denmark and Norway occurred 1531 to 1532.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 07:22:48 PM »

The Nine Years' War took place in Ireland from 1593 to 1603.   
It was fought between an Irish confederation against English rule in Ireland.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Catholic General Discussion  |  Topic: European wars of religion « previous next »
Jump to: