Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Lent, a Spring Cleaning of the Soul 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lent, a Spring Cleaning of the Soul  (Read 7623 times)
Grow in Virtue

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting to this site. I hope to share and be inspired by other's thoughts and articles.

I thought I would first share an article I wrote about Lent, and how it cleanses the soul. I hope and pray that everyone has had a good start to Lent.

I appreciate your feedback.

God bless,
Alan

Article Excerpt: "Lent is a time to meditate on the Passion of Our Lord – to think about how much He has given for us – everything.  It is a time for us to look into ourselves and think what we can offer back to Him.  Especially the attempt to overcome things inside us that are not very nice – a time to put into practice a new virtue."

[mod edit: see announcements, links]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:35:31 AM by Shin » Logged
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

thrones angel yellow Welcome to the forums Alan.  angel yellow thrones

Very glad to have you here. I hope you enjoy posting about the saints and reading and commenting on other folks posts!

A small note, as per the announcements, we don't have links in posts enabled for many good reasons.

If you'd like to post something you wrote, feel free to post it fully if you wish!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »

I like the following Intercession for Lent:     
May we receive this day of penance as your gift,   
and give it back to you through works of mercy.
SenoritaRita

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »

thrones angel yellow Welcome to the forums Alan.  angel yellow thrones

Very glad to have you here. I hope you enjoy posting about the saints and reading and commenting on other folks posts!

A small note, as per the announcements, we don't have links in posts enabled for many good reasons.

If you'd like to post something you wrote, feel free to post it fully if you wish!

Here was the original article he wrote:

"Who has a stronger conflict than he who strives to overcome himself? – Thomas à Kempis

Well, it’s Lent again.

Every year it’s the same thing. Christmas is over and I’m constantly thinking about how far away Lent is.

I always think to myself how the season of Lent is so spiritually benefiting to me.

How wonderful it is. How valuable it is.

And I’m always glad…it’s weeks away.

I think it’s often hard to transition from the spirit of Christmas, to a spirit of penance.

But the reality is, that if you do practice Lent, in the spirit it is intended to be practiced, it’s certainly not easy. But of course, I don’t think it’s supposed to be.

Lent is a time to meditate on the Passion of Our Lord – to think about how much He has given for us – everything.  It is a time for us to look into ourselves and think what we can offer back to Him.  Especially the attempt to overcome things inside us that are not very nice – a time to put into practice a new virtue.

Through Lent, we reflect on the life of Jesus, and through Him, we take a deeper look into our own lives.

It’s a time to make an honest assessment of where we are on our path (and some times struggle) for holiness.

Throughout my 10 years of being Catholic, I have given up various things for Lent, including coffee, alcohol, movies, news, Facebook, restaurants, time out with friends, and certain foods.

I have also given up other things that often seem to come easy to me. Like discussing others behind their backs, complaining, being ‘worst case scenario’, defensive…and more things like this.

And each year I’ll add things as well. Like spiritual reading, being nice to people that I don’t want to be nice to, smiling more, being more patient, listening more, being more charitable…i.e. things that do not come natural to me.

And after years of giving up things and adding certain penances during Lent,  my understanding of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us has grown deeper and deeper, resulting in a deeper gratitude to Our Lord and greater changes within me.

When you think about it, Lent is kind of like a Spring cleaning, but for the soul.

This year, I have added another thing too. Saying a prayer called “The Litany of Humility” each day…preferably at the start of my day. I am hoping that any pride I have about myself and my own abilities I can keep in check during this season of Lent, and beyond.

I am including the prayer, hoping that it may help you too. God bless us this Lent, and every Lent. May we all live for God and our neighbors more, and for ourselves less.

Litany of Humility

This prayer was composed by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930), Cardinal Secretary of State of the Holy See under Pope Saint Pius X. 

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart,
Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being loved,
Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, O Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I,

Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I,

Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be praised and I go unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

Amen."
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »

Thank you for sharing this, Grow in Virtue and SenoritaRita.  I pray that we each have a very prayerful and self-sacrificial Lent to bring us closer to our Lord Crucified and to make us great lovers of the royal Way of the Cross.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
SenoritaRita

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »

Thank you for sharing this, Grow in Virtue and SenoritaRita.  I pray that we each have a very prayerful and self-sacrificial Lent to bring us closer to our Lord Crucified and to make us great lovers of the royal Way of the Cross.

Amen!  :-)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:12:17 PM »

Psalm 63: A longing for God     
Psalm 63: Verse 2 O God, you are my God _ for you I long!     
This psalm expresses the relationship between God and the worshipper.       
It would be nice to pray before Mass during Lent.
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »

And always, CyrilSebastian!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »

Lent gives an individual hope. From Jeremiah 29: 11   
                                "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you,   
                                  plans to give you hope and a future."
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »

Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..

May God grant us the grace of hope!  Seraphim

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say would be a nice hymn to sing during Lent.     
 harp harp harp harp harp harp
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »

A happy outlook for Holy Week and Easter Sunday: Psalm 37: 4     
Make Yahweh your joy and he will give you your heart's desires.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 05:17:40 PM »

Intercession for Lent   
Holy God, As we coninue our Lenten journey make us mindful of our potential for good and for growth, 
as we strive for perfection in your sight despite our human failing and imperfections.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »

Intercession for Lent   
 Let us pray to Christ our Savior, who redeemed us by his death and resurrection:     
Lord, have mercy on us.     
You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,   
bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 04:42:03 PM »

Intercession for Lent   
You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier's lance,   
heal our wounds.   
You made the cross the tree of life, give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Lent, a Spring Cleaning of the Soul « previous next »
Jump to: