Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Louis de Montfort 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: St. Louis de Montfort  (Read 4983 times)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »

Let him take up his cross

"Let him take up his cross," the one that is his. Let that man (or woman) so rare "far beyond the price of pearls," take up his cross joyfully, embrace it lovingly, and carry it courageously on his shoulders, his own cross, and not that of another - his own cross which I, in my wisdom, designed for him in every detail of number, measure and weight; his own cross which I have fashioned with my own hands and with great exactness as regards its four dimensions of length, breadth, thickness and depth; his own cross, which out of love for him I have carved from a piece of the one I bore to Calvary; his own cross, which is the greatest gift I can bestow upon my chosen ones on earth; his own cross, whose thickness is made up of the loss of one's possessions, humiliations, contempt, sufferings, illnesses and spiritual trials, which come to him daily till his death in accordance with my providence; his own cross, whose length consists of a certain period of days or months enduring slander, or lying on a sick-bed, or being forced to beg, or suffering from temptations, dryness, desolation, and other interior trials; his own cross, whose breadth is made up of the most harsh and bitter circumstances brought about by relatives, friends, servants; his own cross, whose depth is made up of the hidden trials I shall inflict on him without his being able to find any comfort from other people, for they also, under my guidance, will turn away from him and join with me in making him suffer.

"Let him take up," that is, let him carry his cross and not drag it, or shake it off, or lighten it, or hide it. Instead, let him lift it on high and carry it without impatience or annoyance, without intentional complaint or grumbling, without hesitation or concealment, without shame or human respect.

"Let him take it up" and set it on his brow, saying with St. Paul, "The only thing I can boast about is the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Let him carry it on his shoulders like our Lord, that it may become the source of his victories and the scepter of his power: "Dominion is laid upon his shoulders."

Let him set it in his heart, where it may, like the burning bush of Moses, burn day and night with the pure love of God without being consumed!

"The cross": let him carry it, for nothing is so necessary, so beneficial, so agreeable, or so glorious as to suffer something for Jesus Christ.

---- St. Louis de Montfort ( excerpt from Letter to the friends of the Cross)

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »

angel bell tiny angel

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »

Excerpt from the 'Secret of Mary', by St. Louis de Montfort

This does not mean that one who has discovered Mary through a genuine devotion is exempt from
crosses and sufferings. Far from it! One is tried even more than others, because Mary, as Mother of the
living, gives to all her children splinters of the tree of life, which is the Cross of Jesus. But while meting out
crosses to them she gives the grace to bear them with patience, and even with joy. In this way, the crosses
she sends to those who trust themselves to her are rather like sweetmeats, i.e. "sweetened" crosses
rather than "bitter" ones. If from time to time they do taste the bitterness of the chalice from which we must
drink to become proven friends of God, the consolation and joy which their Mother sends in the wake of their
sorrows creates in them a strong desire to carry even heavier and still more bitter crosses.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

I have always loved the idea of 'sweet' or 'honeyed' crosses, and reading 'splinters of the tree of life' this is especially beautiful.

"One of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, and at once blood and water came out' (John 19:34). John says pierced or opened to show that the sacraments are available through the open doors of his heart from which they flow. The blood that flows from his heart washes away all our sins. The water that flows with the blood signifies baptism that remits all sin. His open side recalls the creation of Eve taken from Adam's side; Christ, the second Adam, bowed his head on the cross, fell asleep in death and brought forth his bride, the Church, from his side. Nothing is as purifying as this blood! Nothing is as health giving as this wound!"

St. Augustine Of Hippo

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »

His open side recalls the creation of Eve taken from Adam's side; Christ, the second Adam, bowed his head on the cross, fell asleep in death and brought forth his bride, the Church, from his side.
I'm left speechless! The beauty of it.

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »

Let him take up his cross

Let him set it in his heart, where it may, like the burning bush of Moses, burn day and night with the pure love of God without being consumed!

"The cross": let him carry it, for nothing is so necessary, so beneficial, so agreeable, or so glorious as to suffer something for Jesus Christ.

---- St. Louis de Montfort ( excerpt from Letter to the friends of the Cross)

The Sacred Heart of Jesus is always portrayed as being on fire as is the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Seraphim are said to be ablaze with the fire of the love of God
The Lord tells us  (Mark 12:30)  love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
How do we fulfil this? Is offering our sufferings the only way and can we burn with this fire while still in the world?
At the martyrdom of St Stephen it’s recorded that his face shone like that of an angel but that’s when he was about to die.
Is it possible to totally love God while in this body?

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »

Is it possible to totally love God while in this body?

I wonder about that too, Martin. Reason would say it's not - but........?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Louis de Montfort « previous next »
Jump to: