Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori  (Read 19494 times)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »

50 Maxims for Attaining Perfection

by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori

1. To desire ardently to increase in the love of Jesus Christ.

2. Often to make acts of love towards Jesus Christ. Immediately on waking, and before going to sleep, to make an act of love, seeking always to unite your own will to the will of Jesus Christ.

3. Often to meditate on his Passion.

4. Always to ask Jesus Christ for his love.

5. To communicate often, and many times in the day to make spiritual Communions.

6. Often to visit the Most Holy Sacrament.

7. Every morning to receive from the hands of Jesus Christ himself your own cross.

8. To desire Paradise and death, in order to be able to love Jesus Christ perfectly and for all eternity.

9. Often to speak of the love of Jesus Christ.

10. To accept contradictions for the sake of Jesus Christ.

11. To rejoice in the happiness of God.

12. To do that which is most pleasing to Jesus Christ, and not to refuse him anything that is agreeable to him.

13. To desire and to endeavor that all should love Jesus Christ.

14. To pray always for sinners and for the souls in purgatory.

15. To drive from your heart every affection that does not belong to Jesus Christ.

16. Always to have recourse to the most holy Mary, that she may obtain for us the love of Jesus Christ.

17. To honor Mary in order to please Jesus Christ.

18. To seek to please Jesus Christ in all your actions,

19. To offer yourself to Jesus Christ to suffer any pain for his love.

20 To be always determined to die rather than commit a willful venial sin.

27. To suffer crosses patiently, saying, "Thus it pleases Jesus Christ."

22. To renounce your own pleasures for the love of Jesus Christ.

23. To pray as much as possible.

24. To practice all the mortifications that obedience permits.

25. To do all your spiritual exercises as if it were for the last time.

26. To persevere in good works in the time of aridity.

27. Not to do nor yet to leave undone anything through human respect.

28. Not to complain in sickness.

29. To love solitude, to be able to converse alone with Jesus Christ.

30. To drive away melancholy [i.e. gloom].

37. Often to recommend yourself to those persons who love Jesus Christ.

32. In temptation, to have recourse to Jesus crucified, and to Mary in her sorrows.

33. To trust entirely in the Passion of Jesus Christ.

34. After committing a fault, not to be discouraged, but to repent and resolve to amend.

35. To do good to those who do evil.

36. To speak well of all, and to excuse the intention when you cannot defend the action.

37. To help your neighbor as much as you can.

38. Neither to say nor to do anything that might vex him. And if you have been wanting in charity, to ask his pardon and speak kindly to him.

39. Always to speak with mildness and in a low tone.

40. To offer to Jesus Christ all the contempt and persecution that you meet with.

41. To look upon [religious] Superiors as the representatives of Jesus Christ.

42. To obey without answering and without repugnance, and not to seek your own satisfaction in anything.

43. To like the lowest employment.

44. To like the poorest things.

45. Not to speak either good or evil of yourself.

46. To humble yourself even towards inferiors.

47. Not to excuse yourself when you are reproved.

48. Not to defend yourself when found fault with.

49. To be silent when you are disquieted [i.e. upset].

50. Always to renew your determination of becoming a saint, saying, "My Jesus, I desire to be all Yours, and You must be all mine."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:47:02 AM by Shin » Logged

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »

Amen.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »

What a beautiful post!  Cheesy Amen amen amen!

Good for meditation!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
MarysLittleFlower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »

wow Smiley this is great.

"Let us run to Jesus, Heart of Love, Heart full of tenderness. Let us ask Jesus to give us the riches of His pure love - to breathe only for love, to live only for love" ~St Gemma Galgani
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »

How would one do #36 without showing relativism or indifferentism, though?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »

How would one do #36 without showing relativism or indifferentism, though?

Yes, just like that it does sound not so great.. I think it can only be properly done in the context of other rules of the faith about when one is supposed to speak which I am sure is how it is intended.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

#47, #48 and #49 seem as if they are the hardest for me, but I wonder if that's really true that those are the hardest for me. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:38:22 PM by Brigid » Logged

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »

Aren't the saints such wonderful counselors?
Meditating on the passion of Our Lord has softened my heart no end.
No wonder all the saints recommend this. I wish I could live those words of St Alphonus more deeply

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »

Martinfegan,If you like meditating on the Passion  I would recommend 'The Passion and death of Jesus Christ' by St. Alphonsus de Ligori, if you don't know about the book already. Smiley

martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

Thanks Patricia, I haven't read that one but will certainly put it on my list.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »

Excerpt from 'Passion and death of Jesus Christ' ------ By St. Alphonsus de Liguori

That which most inflamed St. Paul with the love of Jesus was the thought that he chose to die, not only for all men, but for him in particular: He loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.    Yes, he has loved me, said he, and for my sake he gave himself up to die. And thus ought every one of us to say; for St. John Chrysostom asserts that God has loved every individual man with the same love with which he has loved the world.  "He loves each man separately with the same measure of charity with which he loves the whole world." So that each one of us is under a great obligation to Jesus Christ for having suffered for every one, as if he had suffered for him alone.
     For supposing, my brother, Jesus Christ had died to save you alone, leaving all others to their original ruin, what a debt of gratitude you would owe to him. But you ought to feel that you owe him a greater obligation still for having died for the salvation of all. For if he had died for you alone, what sorrow would it not have caused you to think that your neighbors, parents, brothers, and friends would be damned, and that you would when this life was over, be forever separated from them? If you and your family had been slaves, and some one came to rescue you alone, how would you not entreat of him to save your parents and brothers together with yourself! And how much more would you thank him if he did this to please you! Say, therefore to Jesus:
     O my sweetest Redeemer! Thou hast done this for me without my asking Thee; Thou hast not only saved me from death at the price of Thy blood; but also my parents and friends, so that I may have a good hope that we may all together enjoy Thy presence forever in paradise. O Lord! I thank Thee, and I love Thee, and I hope to thank Thee for it, and to love Thee forever in that blessed country.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »

It is such a good meditation to try to comprehend, that impossible to comprehend, depth of God's love for us!  Grin

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »

Shin, I just discovered that you have the 'Passion and death of Jesus Christ' on your list of books on Saintsquotes.. speachless  Is that a lot of work? How long does it take ?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »

Shin, I just discovered that you have the 'Passion and death of Jesus Christ' on your list of books on Saintsquotes.. speachless  Is that a lot of work? How long does it take ?

It's a splendid read..

All of St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori's works are HUGE.

We're never going to get a plain text of it up I'm betting so, PDF only. Too big and complex, and too many OCR mistakes.

Still, if lightning ever strikes, or I get enough donations, I bet if it was put up on a group-work wiki type page we might eventually get enough volunteers to spiff it up step by step. There are a good number of St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori fans out there.  Cheesy

Well here I am rambling on. The PDF was scanned by the Internet Archive so it was no work at all here, truly.  Cheesy

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »

Since God knew that man is enticed by favors, he wished to bind him to his love by means of his gifts: I want to catch men with the snares, those chains of love in which they allow themselves to be entrapped, so that they will love me. And all the gifts which he bestowed on man were given to this end. He gave him a soul, made in his likeness. He endowed him with memory, intellect and will; he gave him a body equipped with the senses. It was for him that he created heaven and earth and such an abundance of things. He made all these things out of love for man, so that all creation might serve man, and man in turn might love God out of gratitude for so many gifts.

~~Saint Alphonsus Liguori  from a sermon

martin
Established

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »

Shin, I just discovered that you have the 'Passion and death of Jesus Christ' on your list of books on Saintsquotes..   Is that a lot of work? How long does it take ?

Patricia is that the book you recommended to me in an earlier thread?
Will certainly read this.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori « previous next »
Jump to: