Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Technical Support  |  Topic: Firefox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 8322 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

This isn't a Saint's website question, but you may be able to help. I use either Safari (for personal stuff) and Firefox (for business stuff). For the last month I haven't been able to open Firefox, but all my other applications have been fine. I kept filling out a "Crash form" to them without any response so I decided today to download another Firefox. I did and it won't open either (even though Safari works fine - as is obvious).

Now what?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »

This isn't a Saint's website question, but you may be able to help. I use either Safari (for personal stuff) and Firefox (for business stuff). For the last month I haven't been able to open Firefox, but all my other applications have been fine. I kept filling out a "Crash form" to them without any response so I decided today to download another Firefox. I did and it won't open either (even though Safari works fine - as is obvious).

Now what?

Now I would uninstall firefox completely, rebooting, then try reinstalling it.

Are there any error messages that happen when it doesn't work you can relate?

I don't know what I'd do without Firefox, its selective ad/image/flash blocker add-ons allow me to surf the internet much more safely.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »

How do I uninstall Firefox completely and does that mean the application I have already or just the application I just downloaded (if I uninstall the old one completely doesn't that mean I loose all my bookmarks, too)?

The error message I get is the "Crash Report" that supposedly gets sent to the designers (although since I've sent it numerous, numerous times over the last month with no response, I wonder about whether it actually gets sent).

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:19:03 PM »

How do I uninstall Firefox completely and does that mean the application I have already or just the application I just downloaded (if I uninstall the old one completely doesn't that mean I loose all my bookmarks, too)?

The error message I get is the "Crash Report" that supposedly gets sent to the designers (although since I've sent it numerous, numerous times over the last month with no response, I wonder about whether it actually gets sent).

Well, I am forgetting are you on the PC or the MAC?

The reports get sent, but they are not going to get back to you, ever, as a general rule - that is my impression. They just put it in a database for future programming reference.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »

The reports get sent, but they are not going to get back to you, ever, as a general rule - that is my impression. They just put it in a database for future programming reference.

Mac.

Oh. Sad There was a place to put my email (Safari since I couldn't get into Firefox).

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »

Mac.

Oh. Sad There was a place to put my email (Safari since I couldn't get into Firefox).

Let's see, I don't know how to uninstall on the Mac. Let me look it up online. Oh dear, it can be simple and it can be complicated.

Let's see.. I think you might have to lose your preference files, but not the bookmarks. But how to describe how to do this.. I wish I could sit down at the MAC for you..

Ah, well here is what one website says:  Cheesy

To uninstall Firefox on the MAC

1. Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.
   2. Firefox also has a .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist you may wish to remove.

If you also wish to remove your Firefox user data and settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) trash the "Firefox" folder, located here: ~Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Now what you would do is do step 1, and 2, and not the last step to remove the bookmarks. Step 1 might be enough, step 1 and 2 might be enough. If both together don't work..

Then the reason it is crashing might have to do with something other than it, i.e. some other program you installed later is interfering or something broke that is part of the operating system and not just Firefox, but these are far less likely situations. Smiley

The little ~ describing where the second folder is may be a placeholder for your username, I don't know how they do it on the MAC. Smiley

Did you install a program and then have Firefox stop working? If you can identify what triggered it to fail that helps a lot! Smiley

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »

Mac.

Let's see, I don't know how to uninstall on the Mac. Let me look it up online. Oh dear, it can be simple and it can be complicated.

Let's see.. I think you might have to lose your preference files, but not the bookmarks. But how to describe how to do this.. I wish I could sit down at the MAC for you..

Ah, well here is what one website says:  Cheesy

To uninstall Firefox on the MAC

1. Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.
   2. Firefox also has a .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist you may wish to remove.

If you also wish to remove your Firefox user data and settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) trash the "Firefox" folder, located here: ~Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Now what you would do is do step 1, and 2, and not the last step to remove the bookmarks. Step 1 might be enough, step 1 and 2 might be enough. If both together don't work..

Then the reason it is crashing might have to do with something other than it, i.e. some other program you installed later is interfering or something broke that is part of the operating system and not just Firefox, but these are far less likely situations. Smiley

The little ~ describing where the second folder is may be a placeholder for your username, I don't know how they do it on the MAC. Smiley

Did you install a program and then have Firefox stop working? If you can identify what triggered it to fail that helps a lot! Smiley

Thank you so much! Even looking at the directions online would confuse me.

As far as your question - I doubt it since generally I don't install the newest programs for a while. I did clean out a lot of apps I didn't use from the 'puter and then defragged it. But wouldn't that only affect the old Firefox and not the new download (if it did anyway)?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »

Thank you so much! Even looking at the directions online would confuse me.

As far as your question - I doubt it since generally I don't install the newest programs for a while. I did clean out a lot of apps I didn't use from the 'puter and then defragged it. But wouldn't that only affect the old Firefox and not the new download (if it did anyway)?

Hmm.. you're probably right!  Cheesy it is possible one of those old apps somehow had a resource installed in the Operating System it used that Firefox also used, and removing the one somehow broke it for the other.. possible but quite unlikely again.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »

I'm about to try re re-download. We'll see if I need to use step 2 (but I really don't want to lose those bookmarks).

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

It worked! cheers cheers cheers Thank you, again.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »

It worked! cheers cheers cheers Thank you, again.

Whew!  Cheesy Hurrah!  cheers  flower

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Technical Support  |  Topic: Firefox « previous next »
Jump to: