Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:30:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Traditionalism 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Traditionalism  (Read 9078 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »

What things do you think of when you think of a Traditional Catholic? How would you describe that delineation?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »

I think of all of you....... and not me!   Grin
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

I think of all of you....... and not me!   Grin
Cheesy Cheesy

Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »

Honestly though....... in my estimation, traditional Catholics love latin, pray rosary, do novenas, and spend lots of time in adoration, and like Saints that are more serious.  I do none of these things and I like to read about Saint's more modern, even uncanonized yet and more ordinary.   boggles
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

I'm not perfectly traditional because I don't attend TLM or wear a veil  besides other things.  But my thought process is very traditional because I like everything tradiitonal (the prayers,latin  liturgy,saints  etc) about the Catholic church . It is our legacy that I'm very possessive about. sword fight Cheesy

For me when I think traditional  Catholic I think of the pre-Vatican II Catholic. The closest people I would think of were my grandparents who were traditional and it was as normal as breathing to be so. Grandfather was a gem of a man. I would see him praying his Rosary quietly in a corner everyday. He wore his brown scapular. My mother told me that though normally a quiet man he would get angry if any disrespect was shown to priests by gossiping about them etc.  Also he would insist that  a priest be called Padre and not by name.

There were traditional pictures of saints all over the house , with the altar, flowers etc There were nightly prayers and hymns . My grandmother was a bad singer and she would sing the loudest and we kids would listen and giggle Grin Grandfather John used to be in the choir as a lad, which I felt was very pious and they would walk many miles across fields to get to Mass every Sunday morning.  Even I did that while I was there visiting. My grandfather's brothers were very pious and close to each other which when I think back could be the good Catholic upbringing. Rare to see siblings getting along these days. One of the brothers (my grand uncle) was a priest , and I was very impressed with his piety as a child. He was  a poor priest and I remember visiting him where he lived in not too good conditions.

But my parents moved to Bombay (big city) and I felt I slowly lost what was solid and traditional because of the new NO Mass.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »

Patricia posted:
One of the brothers (my grand uncle) was a priest , and I was very impressed with his piety as a child. He was  a poor priest and I remember visiting him where he lived in not too good conditions.

How wonderful to have that example. Do you feel that you were encouraged in your traditional faith by his model? Also the example you were set by your grandfather? Did he teach by words or simply by example?

AutumnRose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »

Honestly though....... in my estimation, traditional Catholics love latin, pray rosary, do novenas, and spend lots of time in adoration, and like Saints that are more serious.  I do none of these things and I like to read about Saint's more modern, even uncanonized yet and more ordinary.

Bailey, I think traditionalism is just as much about being a faithful Catholic, faithful in thought, word and deed to the Church's teachings and our Holy Father. I don't think it matters whether one prays in Latin, or prays novenas etc. St. Therese herself said that she didn't want to pray formal prayers all the time, and sought great comfort by talking to God in her own simple words, as a child would do. My 2 favourite saints are St. Therese and St. Bernadette who were simple, child-like and uncomplicated. St. Therese had a love of fun and a sense of humour too despite her sufferings!

I see too often on the net "Traditionalists" criticising and judging those they see who are not, and yet their words betray the "inner Pharisee". It is more traditional to try each day to love as Jesus loves, to offer up our sufferings for His sake, to perform acts of charity and to recognise our own failings and short-comings.

I am "Traditional" to any outsider ~ I go to the TLM, I wear a mantilla, I say my Rosary in Latin and all the things mentioned above, but if I don't love, then I am merely a "clashing cymbal". I would say that if you truly love the Lord, and try every day to seek His will, and obey the Church, then you're more "traditional" than you think.

Love to all xx

“Suscipe me Domine, secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam et non confundas me in expectatione mea.” ~ Psalm 118:116
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »

I see too often on the net "Traditionalists" criticising and judging those they see who are not, and yet their words betray the "inner Pharisee".

The above is why I pretty much left CAF.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:19:35 PM by Bailey2 » Logged
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »

How wonderful to have that example. Do you feel that you were encouraged in your traditional faith by his model? Also the example you were set by your grandfather? Did he teach by words or simply by example?
Brigid, It was just watching as a child. I don't remember them preaching to me, it was just their behaviour --- mildness, poverty, humility. You know how kids stand around and watch adults. Thats what I would do and that is what I remember. My grandfather in his corner praying his Rosary, my priest uncle being so loving and jovial with his family.....these leave a lasting impression on a child's mind. They passed away years back and I wasn't even a very prayerful Catholic till some 16 years back, but its strange how I remember that. Smiley Once  during prayer time, my grandfather  lead the prayers and  got carried away and didn't  stop till my mom nudged him to stop. See how I remember that incident. Grin My mom would be embarrassed if I told her I remember that because she turned into a very prayerful person some years back too. Who knows? Maybe my grandfather's Rosaries brought me back to my faith and the rest of my family too. (mom, dad and brother). We always were Catholic but not too prayerful years back.

Bailey, what's CAF and Josephite marriage?

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »

Brigid, It was just watching as a child. I don't remember them preaching to me, it was just their behaviour --- mildness, poverty, humility. You know how kids stand around and watch adults. Thats what I would do and that is what I remember. My grandfather in his corner praying his Rosary, my priest uncle being so loving and jovial with his family.....these leave a lasting impression on a child's mind. They passed away years back and I wasn't even a very prayerful Catholic till some 16 years back, but its strange how I remember that. Smiley Once  during prayer time, my grandfather  lead the prayers and  got carried away and didn't  stop till my mom nudged him to stop. See how I remember that incident. Grin My mom would be embarrassed if I told her I remember that because she turned into a very prayerful person some years back too. Who knows? Maybe my grandfather's Rosaries brought me back to my faith and the rest of my family too. (mom, dad and brother). We always were Catholic but not too prayerful years back.

Bailey, what's CAF and Josephite marriage?

So their devotion, good humor and Rosaries did it. I was wondering that for my own child and grandchildren.

CAF is another Catholic forum and a Josephite marriage is one in which, with the Bishop's permission, the couple abstains completely for the duration of their life/marriage.

Bailey2 - as NFP, practiced correctly, is more reliable than any artificial contraception, and since the couple you used as an example, would certainly have a very strong reason to use it, I wonder at your mention of a Josephite marriage. Complete abstinence would be totally unnecessary. But you're right Bailey2, that this discussion may be inflammatory. If you have thoughts or questions on this (or other) Catholic teachings I would be more than happy to talk with you via website email Smiley. I'm sure that's true of Shin, also.

Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »

Bailey2 - as NFP, practiced correctly, is more reliable than any artificial contraception, and since the couple you used as an example, would certainly have a very strong reason to use it, I wonder at your mention of a Josephite marriage. Complete abstinence would be totally unnecessary. But you're right Bailey2, that this discussion may be inflammatory. If you have thoughts or questions on this (or other) Catholic teachings I would be more than happy to talk with you via website email Smiley. I'm sure that's true of Shin, also.

abstinence for such people:  a discussion I read on CAF.
Agreed on the second point.  But, don't worry.  I don't heat over such things anymore.  Lent cured me.   Grin
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »

This has got to be one of the most beautiful family story I have ever heard.  thank you for sharing it. 
MarysLittleFlower

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »

I love tradition  Cheesy the TLM, chapel veils, novenas, the Rosary, Adoration, Latin, etc.. but most people I know are drawn to different things so I don't talk about it a lot.

I agree that what matters is charity....and doing everything for love of God.....

the reason I'm drawn to tradition is simply because those things inspire me, they help me spiritually
God bless

"Let us run to Jesus, Heart of Love, Heart full of tenderness. Let us ask Jesus to give us the riches of His pure love - to breathe only for love, to live only for love" ~St Gemma Galgani
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »

abstinence for such people:  a discussion I read on CAF.
Agreed on the second point.  But, don't worry.  I don't heat over such things anymore.  Lent cured me.   Grin

angel bell I'm so glad, Bailey2. We care about you so.

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Traditionalism « previous next »
Jump to: