Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2020, 03:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Holy detachment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Holy detachment  (Read 22314 times)
Bailey2

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »

I've had a little bit of interesting conversation on the topic.  I would like to hear what people think of when they think of holy detachment and also how they put it to practice in their lives.  Thanks.
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »

When I think of Holy Detachment, I think of being able to think of Him before anything/anyone else.

Put it in to practice. I don't (even though I try with things-people, can't do at all).

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »

That's what I think holy detachment is too. Christ above everyone and everything else. I have learned by a series of hard, God-sent  lessons to be detached somewhat over the years , though I admit I'm still learning. First the move here which caused me to move away from friends and family was a long lesson in learning to be detached. But that took several years. Then some friendships and relationships that I thought were the best, but were not really true friendships. Those lessons helped to trust more and more in God and less in human beings. And lately with the recent happenings, another lesson learned. But it is easier now because I depend more on my God and I actually was given wisdom at one point to make a decision where I had to choose between God and human help. Thanks to the lessons in detachment I could make that decision placing God first.
But I'm still weak and lacking in confidence. And my prayer to God is to be more confident in His help and mercy. Also that does not mean I don't have friends or shun my friends. I have some good friends here and I don't hesitate to call them for help. It's just that if they ceased to be friendly or ceased to  call me I wouldn't be too upset anymore. I think I have evolved to that point. Whereas some years back I would be moping about it for days and would be unforgiving about it. Roll Eyes

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »

A good priest at an Ignatian retreat I attended when discussing detachment said that we should detach ourselves from anything and anyone that doesn't leave us attached to God.  It's so true.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »

Patricia, I am genuinely awed.....
Brigid, I feel akin in my failings....
Therese, I think that says it in a nutshell. 

I took several big losses about 5 yrs ago........ my entire identity was wrapped up in those things and in my career, which is now gone (though I work outside the home).  That pretty much took care of my attachment to things........  Grin

But people, friends, children, etc.  That is the crux.  How can you not be attached to these?  Are their ways to be healthily attached?  Does grieving mean you were too attached?  I don't think the latter is true because Jesus grieved Lazarus.  So I'm interested how you guys think of this with people. 

Shin and I had a private conversation about this that got me thinking about this topic........ I wish he were back to join it.......... when the heck is he going to get that problem fixed?  Hmmm maybe God is detaching him from his work?   Roll Eyes   I can relate to that!!
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »

That pretty much took care of my attachment to things........  Grin

I love your humour!  Grin

But people, friends, children, etc.  That is the crux.  How can you not  be attached to these?  Are their ways to be healthily attached?  Does grieving mean you were too attached?  I don't think the latter is true because Jesus grieved Lazarus.  So I'm interested how you guys think of this with people. 

Oh no! I still grieve. The more you love the more you grieve. Its just not to the point that I think I cannot manage without this person , or that I consider suicide or some other options. Its truly God-given strength at this point. When I look back at the past 3 years and even longer at what I went through its amazing I got this far, without losing my sanity. Rather, my faith is as strong as ever and I pray God continues to strengthen me with those graces that He knows I need most. Even when it comes to children all of us know that they are going to fly away one day. Might as well invest our hope in God right now, so we are not disappointed later. Smiley

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »

Even when it comes to children all of us know that they are going to fly away one day. Might as well invest our hope in God right now, so we are not disappointed later.

I was telling my daughter's father when she was born that we are only "renting" children from Him 'til they are 18. Now in practice, I'm not doing that very well and certainly not with the grandchildren! Roll Eyes For a number of years after severe health problems and consequent bankruptcy (no insurance), I was able to detach myself from things and even health. But now my attachment to those things seems to be creeping back. Sad I wonder if this happens often to human beings.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »

The only people you have to detach yourself from are the people who do not let you stay attached to God. 

I don't believe God is competing with our loved ones for our love.  I believe I just recently read this in a Carmelite book of mine.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »

So I'm going to stay attached to all of you on the forum. No detachment from y'all. Grin

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »

So I'm going to stay attached to all of you on the forum. No detachment from y'all. Grin

Me, too!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »

Me, three!

Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »

Even when it comes to children all of us know that they are going to fly away one day. Might as well invest our hope in God right now, so we are not disappointed later. Smiley

I think God helps here: I can't wait for my oldest to leave in another year!  When he says he wants to commute to college, I tell him, "oh no. you are out of here!  better get that scholarship!"  I feel like dad Crosby on the Crosby show!  And my youngest is driving me crazy right now with his obstinant strong-willed, "mom I'm a man now" stuff.  I'll be ready!  I'll be ready!!  No mortification there!!!!!!
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »

The only people you have to detach yourself from are the people who do not let you stay attached to God. 

I don't believe God is competing with our loved ones for our love.  I believe I just recently read this in a Carmelite book of mine.

Therese if you can find that passage in that Carmelite book, I'd love you to post it somehow.  Thank you.
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

Even when it comes to children all of us know that they are going to fly away one day. Might as well invest our hope in God right now, so we are not disappointed later. Smiley

I think God helps here: I can't wait for my oldest to leave in another year!  When he says he wants to commute to college, I tell him, "oh no. you are out of here!  better get that scholarship!"  I feel like dad Crosby on the Crosby show!  And my youngest is driving me crazy right now with his obstinant strong-willed, "mom I'm a man now" stuff.  I'll be ready!  I'll be ready!!  No mortification there!!!!!!

rotfl Sounds like lots of purification, Bailey2! Grin

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »

Man is created to praise, reverence, and serve God our Lord, and by this means to save his soul. And the other things on the face of the earth are created for man and that they may help him in prosecuting the end for which he is created. From this it follows that man is to use them as much as they help him on to his end, and ought to rid himself of them so far as they hinder him as to it. For this it is necessary to make ourselves indifferent to all created things in all that is allowed to the choice of our free will and is not prohibited to it; so that, on our part, we want not health rather than sickness, riches rather than poverty, honor rather than dishonor, long rather than short life, and so in all the rest; desiring and choosing only what is most conducive for us to the end for which we are created.

St. Ignatius of Loyola, 'The Spiritual Exercises'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »

Therese if you can find that passage in that Carmelite book, I'd love you to post it somehow.  Thank you.

I'll try and find it, Bailey2.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »

I don't believe God is competing with our loved ones for our love.

Wow! What a wonderful thing to say.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Holy detachment « previous next »
Jump to: