Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2021, 02:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Suggestion Box 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Suggestion Box  (Read 12103 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »

Good night!

I wouldn't be concerned! Generally speaking it's not necessary to add square brackets when quoting and using . . . as it's already understood. Square brackets are rarely seen.

I do intend to stylistically correct them to be . . . rather than .... as that is the standard style used throughout the site.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:07:49 AM »

Good night!

I wouldn't be concerned! Generally speaking it's not necessary to add square brackets when quoting and using . . . as it's already understood. Square brackets are rarely seen.

I do intend to stylistically correct them to be . . . rather than .... as that is the standard style used throughout the site.

In my English Grammar book it says to use an ellipses of 3 periods in between words and an ellipses of 4 periods in between sentences.  For this reason I used an ellipses of 4 periods in between sentences with missing content.  

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »

Yes from what I read about style books, that's one suggested method, but it's rare too, I hardly remember when I've seen it actually used. I find it awkward, so I do not use the four dots. Three is enough for concatenating anything.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Suggestion Box « previous next »
Jump to: