Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Do You Have a Blessed Crucifix on your Door? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do You Have a Blessed Crucifix on your Door?  (Read 14521 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »

I just want to say, on my old home I did on both doors, and I will shortly have a new one on the new front door. I took longer on it than I should, it should have been a first thing, and I also should have the home blessed shortly.

What you do is simply get a simple nail, and put up the crucifix on the exterior door of the house. Or one could also use a strong glue, which is what I did last time, and will likely do this time too.

"And Moses called all the ancients of the children of Israel, and said to them: Go take a lamb by your families, and sacrifice the Phase.  And dip a bunch of hyssop in the blood that is at the door, and sprinkle the transom of the door therewith, and both the door cheeks: let none of you go out of the door of his house till morning.

For the Lord will pass through striking the Egyptians: and when he shall see the blood on the transom, and on both the posts, he will pass over the door of the house, and not suffer the destroyer to come into your houses and to hurt you."

Exodus 12:21-23

The blood of the lamb was placed in the sign of a cross, and those doors that had the sign of the cross were passed over by the destroying angel.

So too, houses with a blessed crucifix reverently kept upon their doors are especially protected by God.  Cheesy

As Christians we should avail ourselves of this blessing and bear witness to the Faith, and protect our homes from all evils!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »

What would you do when your apartment rules do not allow for any alterations (painting, etc.) to the exterior besides which putting a crucifix on an exterior wall would at most last there a week due to crime (probably more like a day)?

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

What would you do when your apartment rules do not allow for any alterations (painting, etc.) to the exterior besides which putting a crucifix on an exterior wall would at most last there a week due to crime (probably more like a day)?

Well, I'd probably just ignore regs and nail one on, unless they were clearly going to do something about it.

Or, hmm, a very small, lightweight crucifix with an adhesive that is removable but strong. Not sure what type.

One could either buy a package of inexpensive crucifixes.

Rose Scapular or JMJ used to, and may still have bags of inexpensive aluminum crucifixes, already blessed, and I see they're also available in bulk inexpensively on places like Ebay (20 for $10, etc.), and probably from rosary making suppliers. These are useful for all sorts of applications, keeping around the house, car, putting in cards as little gifts, etc.

Or cave in and put one on the interior side and hope for the best.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

I have one on the inside, but I'll definitely look into getting the inexpensive ones for the outside.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:21 PM »

Here is an image of the inexpensive and small St. Benedict's crucifix I have ordered for the door. Only 1 1/4 inches.

I also am trying to get ahold of a St. Benedict medal rosary, I purchased one a bit ago, made entirely of St. Benedict medals as the beads, and before I could even get it blessed I somehow misplaced it. I was hoping to find it during the move, but it's been completely misplaced. So here I go again.  Roll Eyes

One thing one can also do is bury at the four corners of one's house or apartment building, 4 St. Benedict medals, this is very useful for protecting the land.

Of course one must always have them properly and fully blessed for best effect, not just a simple sign of the cross.  Cheesy

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:08:35 PM »

One thing one can also do is bury at the four corners of one's house or apartment building, 4 St. Benedict medals, this is very useful for protecting the land.

I didn't know about that!

Of course one must always have them properly

Not always that easy these days.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:21 PM »

Yes, if the priest doesn't have the prayers, one has to print them out or buy a copy of the Roman Ritual (expensive) for him.. though I must say, it is a -great gift- to give a priest who will make any use of it whatsoever. When we give something like that to a priest and he uses it, the amount of good that has been done is impossible to imagine.

Which reminds me.. perhaps one doesn't need it for that, perhaps the new 'Book of Blessings' has it.. otoh in all likelihood if it does, they might have revised it to be less effective, which seems to be the general judgement on most if not all the blessings in that book as I have heard from more than one priest complaining about it.

I keep meaning to buy it, not because I want it, but because I want to evaluate fully the damage done. Expensive though, like all liturgical books.

Hmm. I wonder if the pre-blessed ones I have have a different 'new' blessing. Now I really have to crack the cover of that thing. Perhaps I'll get a few minutes with one at a local parish rather than have to buy the thing.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »

Which reminds me.. perhaps one doesn't need it for that, perhaps the new 'Book of Blessings' has it.. otoh in all likelihood if it does, they might have revised it to be less effective, which seems to be the general judgement on most if not all the blessings in that book as I have heard from more than one priest complaining about it.

I have heard the same complaints. I wonder when they will be corrected?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »

I wonder too.

The poor exorcists just had that pitiful revision of the exorcism ritual come out too. Thank God they can use the old books with permission. One more hoop to jump through though, to get it done right.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »

Oh, im missing on so much of your conversations because of school. :'(

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »

I don't have a crucifix on our front door but I will have by Saturday.
Strange thing was, that yesterday I was at a local Camelite monastery and was going to buy a small crucifix on impulse when I was browsing round the little shop, but I thought to myself I have so many religious objects in the house that I shouldn't be doing this.. I will heed those small prompts in future  :'(

That reminds me too..On one of the sermons on Audio Sancto the priest talked about the holy practice of burying Blessed palms from Palm Sunday in the 4 corners of your property. They can be cut into small pieces, placed in small sealed plastric bags and burried.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »

Thank you Martin! I have some blessed palms that I can bury too!!  Cheesy

I found a little place that has St. Benedict medals available by the 20 pack, and I believe already blessed. Will double check!  Cheesy

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »

Yes, Shin, I have a Crucifix on the outside of my door.  Not only is my Crucifix blessed but the medal of St. Benedict on it has the special indulgenced blessing of exorcism.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

Yes, Shin, I have a Crucifix on the outside of my door.  Not only is my Crucifix blessed but the medal of St. Benedict on it has the special indulgenced blessing of exorcism.

That's the best way to go. Smiley Not everyone loves the appearance of the St. Benedict Crucifix compared to others, but the blessing is worth far more than any superficial looks.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »

That's the best way to go. Smiley Not everyone loves the appearance of the St. Benedict Crucifix compared to others, but the blessing is worth far more than any superficial looks.

Yes, I agree.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Plain Catholic

"One filled with joy preaches without preaching."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 06:47:36 AM »

I try to have one over every door in the house, except the bathrooms. Cheesy

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Announcements, News & Updates  |  Archive  |  Topic: Do You Have a Blessed Crucifix on your Door? « previous next »
Jump to: