Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: Venerable Solanus Casey (1870-1957) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Venerable Solanus Casey (1870-1957)  (Read 5236 times)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

Excerpt from 'Mystics and miracles' By Bert Ghezzi

By the hundreds, suffering people came to St. Bonaventure's to unload their burdens onto the stout spiritual shoulders of this saintly priest.  Some sought life direction.  Many wanted relief from problems ----- failures at work, disloyalty of friends or relatives, and the like.  Others needed help pacifying family squabbles.  Many came seeking healing for themselves or for loved ones.  Solanus always responded with gentle,  commonsensical advice and compassionate warmth that soothed petitioners.  He would enroll them in the Seraphic Mass Association, pray for them, exhort them to trust God, and send them off with a word of encouragement.
     It is hardly surprising that Solanus Casey paid an enormous price in his service.  He typically worked twelve hour days, praying during the time he was not counseling guests.  At night, he was often found in the chapel, sound asleep before the altar.  Once a brother observed that he chose a rather hard bed.   " Don't worry about me," said Solanus.  " I'm sleeping on the soft side of the planks."
     He occasionally found the daily litany of people's suffering difficult to bear.  " Sometimes," he wrote, " it becomes monotonous and extremely boring, till one is nearly collapsing;  but in such cases, it helps to remember that even when Jesus was about to fall the third time he patiently consoled the womenfolk and children of his persecutors, making no exceptions.  How can we ever be as grateful as we ought to be for such a vocation ------for such priviliged positions?"

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »

' If the moon is beautiful as it reflects the light of the sun at so great a distance, what will be the beauty of the saints who for all eternity and not at a distance, will reflect the divine image of God!'

~~~ Ven. Solanus Casey

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »

You're reminding me another one of the newer ones, Bl. Andre should be canonized very shortly.

I recall reading about him in a little book called 'The Wonder Man of Mount Royal'. I enjoyed that book, I should find and read it again because it has been so long a time.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »

I found this book in the library yesterday while browsing around and I am posting pieces that I find interesting. Smiley

St. Anthony of Egypt  (c. 251 -- 356 )

Anthony developed a pattern that he followed for eighty-five years.  He ate once a day, never before sunset, and his meal consisted of six ounces of bread soaked in water, sometimes seasoned with a little salt.  When he was elderly, he occasionally allowed himself a few palm dates and a little oil.  He wore sheepskin garments with the hair against his body.  Weaving mats of palm fronds was his ordinary work.   Later, when he moved to the desert, he tilled a small garden, growing wheat to make his bread and vegetables for his guests.
     All day and all night, Anthony prayed.  At any time, a visitor might find him rapt in mystical ecstasies.  He loved to pray at night and sometimes complained that the sunrise robbed him of the greater inner light of contemplation.
     Once, however, he became depressed because he did not feel strong enough for lengthy prayer.  He took comfort from a vision  in which an angel showed him the value of balancing prayer and work.  The angel alternatively wove mats and then rose to pray.  After a while, the angel said,  " Do this, and you will find relief. "  So Anthony adjusted his pattern.  However, St. Athanasius says, he continued to pray a little while he worked.............

Remarkably, Anthony's lifelong austerity does not seem to have damaged his body. Even in his old age he appeared strong.  " His eyes did not wax dim," said Athanasius, " and not one of his teeth dropped out, and both his feet and his hands were sound and healthy.  Even though he ate so little, his appearance was more glorious than of those who fed themselves on dainty meats."
     Not bad for an old monk who reportedly fasted every day for eighty-five years.

Acquiring virtue

Let us continue to be strenuous in the pursuit of virtue.  Let us not grow tired of seeking it, for our Lord has become a guide for us and for every person who has a desire for the virtues.  And so that it might not be tedious for us, Saint Paul became our example when he said,  " I die daily " ( see 1 Corinthians 15:31 ).  Now, if we were to think each day that we had to die that day, we would never sin at all.  This is the explanation of Paul's saying....If we were to keep the imminence of our death in mind, we would never be overcome by sin; lust which is fleeting would not reign over us;  we would never harbor anger against another human being;  we would not love the possessions which pass away;  and we would forgive every person who offended us....  Therefore,  O my beloved, let us be zealous in carrying out the work we have committed ourselves to, and let us travel to the end on the road on which we have begun our journey.

~~~~ St. Athanasius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »

Ora et labora.

Ora et labora.

Ora et labora!

Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »

' If the moon is beautiful as it reflects the light of the sun at so great a distance, what will be the beauty of the saints who for all eternity and not at a distance, will reflect the divine image of God!'

~~~ Ven. Solanus Casey

What a beautiful thought to hold on to.  angel bell

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »

Put Christ first, because he put us first, and let nothing deter us from loving him.

~~ St. Cyprian of Carthage

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »

Put Christ first, because he put us first, and let nothing deter us from loving him.

~~ St. Cyprian of Carthage

Such a huge statement when you think about it!

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »

That covers the entire Passion.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Submissions  |  Topic: Venerable Solanus Casey (1870-1957) « previous next »
Jump to: