Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:33:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort  (Read 59952 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »

Look upon the lively examples of the holy Fathers in whom shone real perfection and the religious life, and you will see how little it is, and almost nothing that we do. Alas, what is our life when we compare it with theirs? Saints and friends of Christ, they served our Lord in hunger and in thirst, in cold, in nakedness, in labor and in weariness, in watching, in fasting, prayers and holy meditations, and in frequent persecutions and reproaches. Oh, how many grievous tribulations did the Apostles suffer and the Martyrs and Confessors and Virgins, and all the rest who resolved to follow the steps of Christ! For they hated their lives in this world, that they might keep them in life everlasting. Oh what a strict and self-renouncing life the holy Fathers of the desert led! What long and grievous temptations did they bear! How often were they harassed by the enemy, what frequent and fervent prayers did they offer up to God, what rigorous abstinence did they practice!

I was thinking today how much a little foresight helps.. just thinking a little bit ahead and praying.. just a little bit ahead to the next thing we are going to do and being prepared for it to serve God.. Cheesy Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me a sinner.. Lord Jesus Christ...

If we look a little ahead and can see that in retrospect we will be happy with what we did for God.. even just a little happy.. it can encourage us to the next step.. step by step..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
RachelKH
Established

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »

that is exactly what I'm trying to get across to my teens!  (you axed the pulling-out-my-hair smilie???  or is that on cmomc???.....anyhow...)  thanks!  at least i'm not crazy thinking this way.

Heavenly Father help me to persevere, to strive where my will is weak, and to begin again where I have failed, that whatever I lack in love, I may put right in the trying. Amen.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »

that is exactly what I'm trying to get across to my teens!  (you axed the pulling-out-my-hair smilie???  or is that on cmomc???.....anyhow...)  thanks!  at least i'm not crazy thinking this way.

Oh, I didn't axe any smilies, they all gained a complete reprieve. But somehow some of them have learned to go undercover from the experience for periods of time, they all of the sudden when you least expect it they are there again. Cheesy

I think they have something against Macs somehow, but what exactly we have yet to figure out. Hmm. Saints' forums. Don't like Apples. Hmm. Maybe I haven't been able to put two and two together..

However, we have never had a pulling out the hair smilie. Cheesy Unless they appear without my knowledge too!  Grin

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
RachelKH
Established

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »

what??  you don't like apples???  or the Saints don't like Apples??  this is a serious mystery -- or maybe a funny riddle   Grin

Heavenly Father help me to persevere, to strive where my will is weak, and to begin again where I have failed, that whatever I lack in love, I may put right in the trying. Amen.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »

what??  you don't like apples???  or the Saints don't like Apples??  this is a serious mystery -- or maybe a funny riddle   Grin

Well, doctors and all considered, just about all our problems can be traced back to the very beginning with an apple!  happy roll

RachelKH
Established

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

wow -- yes!  an apple a day keep the doctor away and all that and Who is the Great Physician???  Aiiiieee!  I may have to join you in abstaining!  oh no!

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »

Well, I love my Mac and I love the Great Physician much more! I refuse to think that a computer is stronger than His Power. He has made lemonade out of the first Adam's mess up/lemon, after all.

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »

7th Day

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 1, Chapter 18, cont.

Outwardly they suffered want, but within they were refreshed with grace and Divine consolation. They were aliens to the world; they seemed as nothing and the world despised them; but they were precious and beloved in the sight of God. They persevered in true humility, they lived in simple obedience, they walked in charity and patience, and so every day they advanced in spirit and gained great favor with God. They were given for example to all religious, and ought more to excite us to advance in good, than the number of lukewarm to induce us to grow remiss. Oh! how great was the fervor of all religious in the beginning of their holy institute! Oh, how great was their devotion in prayer, how great was their zeal for virtue! How vigorous the discipline that was kept up, what reverence and obedience, under the rule of the superior, flourished in all! Their traces that remain still bear witness, that they were truly holy and perfect men who did battle so stoutly, and trampled the world under their feet. Now, he is thought great who is not a transgressor; and who can, with patience, endure what he has undertaken. Ah, the lukewarmness and negligence of our state! that we soon fall away from our first fervor, and are even now tired with life, from slothfulness and tepidity. Oh that advancement in virtue be not quite asleep in thee, who has so often seen the manifold examples of the devout!

RachelKH
Established

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »

the voice of calmness and reason has spoken and brought peace to my table -- i will enjoy an apple and not fear!  thanks, brigid!

RachelKH
Established

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »

Dear Father, grant me the grace of devout fervor and obedience to You!  Refresh me with Your grace and Divine consolation!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

Oh that advancement in virtue be not quite asleep in thee, who has so often seen the manifold examples of the devout!

Amen amen! Cheesy

Thank you again for doing this Brigid!!!  cheers cheers cheers

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »

8th Day

Imitation of Christ, by Thomas á Kempis: Book 1, Chapter 13
Of Resisting Temptations

As long as we live in this world, we cannot be without temptations and tribulations. Hence it is written in Job "Man's life on earth is a temptation." Everyone therefore should be solicitous about his temptations and watch in prayer lest the devil find an opportunity to catch him: who never sleeps, but goes about, seeking whom he can devour. No one is so perfect and holy as sometimes not to have temptations and we can never be wholly free from them. Nevertheless, temptations are very profitable to man, troublesome and grievous though they may be, for in them, a man is humbled, purified and instructed. All the Saints passed through many tribulations and temptations and were purified by them. And they that could not support temptations, became reprobate, and fell away.

Many seek to flee temptations, and fall worse into them. We cannot conquer by flight alone, but by patience and true humility we become stronger than all our enemies. He who only declines them outwardly, and does not pluck out their root, will profit little; nay, temptations will sooner return and he will find himself in a worse condition. By degrees and by patience you will, by God's grace, better overcome them than by harshness and your own importunity. Take council the oftener in temptation, and do not deal harshly with one who is tempted; but pour in consolation, as thou wouldst wish to be done unto yourself. Inconstancy of mind and little confidence in God, is the beginning of all temptations. For as a ship without a helm is driven to and fro by the waves, so the man who neglects and gives up his resolutions is tempted in many ways.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »

Whoever asks and expects to obtain graces without the intercession of Mary, endeavors to fly without wings;

St. Antoninus

Go to Mary; for He has decreed that He will grant no graces otherwise than by the hands of Mary.

St. Bernard

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »

Oh that advancement in virtue be not quite asleep in thee, who has so often seen the manifold examples of the devout!

Amen amen! Cheesy

Thank you again for doing this Brigid!!!  cheers cheers cheers

It is wonderful for me!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

As long as we live in this world, we cannot be without temptations and tribulations. Hence it is written in Job "Man's life on earth is a temptation." Everyone therefore should be solicitous about his temptations and watch in prayer lest the devil find an opportunity to catch him: who never sleeps, but goes about, seeking whom he can devour.

Many seek to flee temptations, and fall worse into them. We cannot conquer by flight alone, but by patience and true humility we become stronger than all our enemies.

This really resonates with me. I find that praying over and over again, short prayers, invoking the Holy Family, one's guardian angels, and especially asking for the virtue that is opposite a temptation, is very helpful. As long as one continually prays, one has significant help.. Cheesy

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »

Whoever asks and expects to obtain graces without the intercession of Mary, endeavors to fly without wings;

St. Antoninus

This quote strikes me as meaning similar to the quote from Thomas a Kempis.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: 33 Day Consecration to Mary - St Louis de Montfort « previous next »
Jump to: