Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59 Print
Author Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda  (Read 352998 times)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »

Bless you for your motivation for me to start this book once again.  I was given an abridged version several years ago, translated by Fiscar Marison, but then with Rev Geo Blatter shown in parenthesis (I wonder why?).  It doesn't show a printing date, although the copyright is 1978.  My page numbers are different than yours, but the structure refers to three parts with a total of eight books.  I'm still searching for the selections you've chosen, but it's rewarding.

Thank you!  Have you read your abridged version yet, Eschator83?

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »

" I wish thee to proceed on thy pilgrimage like one, who has already arrived at the journey's end, keeping thy gaze continually on the source of all glory."

Our Lady's words to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 250

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 04:02:39 PM »

'In order to evade all hindrance to his holy Will, which I have already many time pointed out and made manifest to thee, seek to mortify the inferior part of thy being, the seat of the evil inclinations and evil passions.  Die to all that is earthly, sacrifice, in the consciousness of God's presence, all they sensitive appetites, fulfill none of their impulses, nor ever satisfy thy own will outside of the narrow limits of obedience.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 250

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »

'[Mary] was clothed, handled and dressed like other infants, though her soul dwelt in the Divinity; and She was treated as an infant, though She excelled all mortals and even all the angels in wisdom.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol.I, p. 264

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »

I'm reading; I've felt very strongly called to the book about a dozen times, although I've probably spent more time trying to scan and find your references than actually reading sequentially.  In my book, your reference from page 264 is on page 87, at the bottom of the fifth page of Chapter VII of Book I.  I haven't yet found the other references, but I will keep trying.  My translation seems identical.
My edition begins with numerous approbations the book received, I was particularly struck by these segment from the University of Louvain:
"This History explains more than a thousand difficulties in Holy Scripture...at every step are encountered exquisite interpretations, until now unknown, and which had been hidden..." (p6).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:29:28 PM »

I'm reading; I've felt very strongly called to the book about a dozen times, although I've probably spent more time trying to scan and find your references than actually reading sequentially.  In my book, your reference from page 264 is on page 87, at the bottom of the fifth page of Chapter VII of Book I.  I haven't yet found the other references, but I will keep trying.  My translation seems identical.
My edition begins with numerous approbations the book received, I was particularly struck by these segment from the University of Louvain:
"This History explains more than a thousand difficulties in Holy Scripture...at every step are encountered exquisite interpretations, until now unknown, and which had been hidden..." (p6).

I am so pleased that you are very interested in this most excellent work of Ven. Mary of Agreda, Eschator83.  You should at least borrow the four volumes from a library to read the whole work, if you do not wish to purchase the four volumes.  Yes, though the Scriptures seems to have contradictions in it, it really contains no contradictions at all, as this wonderful work of Ven. Mary of Agreda indicates.  God bless you!  

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »

Dear Eschator83,

If you wish I can go back and give you the paragraph numbers to the passages I have referenced.  Would you like that?

Yours in the Cross of our Lord,
Therese

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:42 AM »

Dear Eschator83,

I will include the paragraph number of each excerpt for you.  You will find it on the second line of my citation.

'The parturition of the most happy Anne was pure and undefiled, as befitting her heavenly Daughter, in whose purity the mother was a sharer.  Although on this account there was no need of a special purification, she nevertheless complied with the obligation of the law to the very last point.  Though not subject to its penalties, she considered herself bound in the eyes of men.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 278

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 01:41:15 AM »

'When [the infant Mary] was alone, or when she was laid to sleep, which was in her most moderate, She was engaged in the contemplation of the mysteries and the excellencies of the Most High, and in the enjoyment of the divine visions and the conversation of his Majesty.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 283

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:23 AM »

'It is true that I was in possession of grace and of the use of reason from the first instant of my Conception, as I have often shown thee; I underwent the hardships of infancy as other children and I was reared and treated as others of the same condition.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 285

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »

'In forgetting how exalted in glory, dignity and beauty these spirits are, many men deprive themselves of numerous blessings, which they would otherwise obtain at the hands of these angels.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 299
(#375)

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

'The second point is, that thou, in every place and at all times, preserve love and reverence toward these holy spirits, as if thou didst see them with thy corporeal eyes, and that thou dare not do before them what thou wouldst not do in public.'

Our Lady to Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 299-300
(#376)

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »

Thank you very much for your concern.  My volume has 794 pages--it ends at the Coronation of our Holy Mother.  Most of it seems to require particular concentration, especially the sections of "Words of the Queen" at the end of the Chapter.  I'll be quite busy following your selections and also reading from the beginning at my slow pace, for some time to come.
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »

Thank you very much for your concern.  My volume has 794 pages--it ends at the Coronation of our Holy Mother.  Most of it seems to require particular concentration, especially the sections of "Words of the Queen" at the end of the Chapter.  I'll be quite busy following your selections and also reading from the beginning at my slow pace, for some time to come.

Excellent, Eschator83! Yes, not only do Ven. Mary of Agreda's words call for our full concentration, but our Lady's words especially call for our full concentration.  Would you like for me to provide you with the paragraph numbers of the first excerpts of mine?  Even if not, I'll be sure to include paragraph numbers in all my subsequent posts.  God bless you!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »

'As her fervor and longing to see our highest Good increased, being entirely enraptured by Him, She was by the disposal of the Lord many times borne bodily by the hands of the angels to the empyrean heaven, where She enjoyed the presence of the Divinity.  On those occasions she would at times see God face to face, at other times by infused images of the highest and most godlike kind.  She saw also the angels by clear and intuitive vision , their degrees, orders and hierarchies, and many sacraments were made manifest to Her on each occasion.  As these vision were often repeated She gradually, by becoming accustomed to them and by acts of virtue which She exercised in connection with them, began to appear a divine more than a human creature.  No one else would ever be capable of such favors and others connected therewith; and even the mortal nature of that Queen herself would have been deprived of life, if She had not been preserved by a miracle.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 304-305
(Bk. I, #383)

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »

'My daughter, he that received more ought to consider himself more needy, since his debt becomes so much the greater.  All should humiliate themselves since of themselves they are nothing, nor can they do anything or possess ought.  On this account they that are raised up by the hand of the Almighty, should humiliate themselves as mere dust.  For left to themselves and to their nothingness and unworthiness, they should esteem themselves so much the more indebted and bound to thankfulness for that which by themselves they can never repay.'

Ven. Mary of Agreda, City of God, Vol. I, p. 305-306
(Bk. I, #385)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Excerpts from Mystical City of God by Ven. Mary of Agreda « previous next »
Jump to: