Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:13:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Spring Planting Planning 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spring Planting Planning  (Read 1122 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »

It's still quite aways from Spring, but I know some folks who are already planning their planting and ordering seeds.

I wonder if any folks here who like to keep a garden or even grow some plants on the window sill have any thoughts as to what they will plant this coming Spring?

I have a small voucher I have to redeem by the end of the month I am thinking I may want to order a few seed packets, I'm open to any suggestions.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:53:24 PM »

I will get some perennial and annual flowers for yard customers. Some flowers might be zinnias and snapdragons.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:35:23 AM »

I think I have enough seeds leftover from last year that I should not need to get many more than a little this year.

I may only get a few seeds I think, staple ones I am out of and somethings new.

Perhaps I will also get another bamboo plant rhizome to start.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:32:06 PM »

Shin, Are bamboo plants hard to grow? I inquire because I have not planted bamboo.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »

They are hard to start from seed, normally they are started from roots. Once established, they take over, and many people find them troublesome for that reason. You find little shoots sprouting up everywhere, that grow very quickly.

I'm not surprised you have not planted it, because it takes over and spreads so quickly.

There are mainly two kinds of bamboo. There is "running" bamboo, and there is "clumping" bamboo. Clumping spreads outwards in a gradual circle, and running sends long runners of roots under the earth springing up everywhere. Clumping is easier to control.

To control bamboo from going where you do not want you put barriers underground to prevent the roots from spreading.

A lot of my yard is full of other stuff that takes over, and suppresses other plants, so if I put bamboo in the right areas it should be fine.

Bamboo is actually classified as a kind of grass, it is very surprising for something so big to be classified that way. Cheesy

May God bless us I pray.

Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Everything Else  |  Topic: Spring Planting Planning « previous next »
Jump to: