Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1232705 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »

Earlier odhiambo, you asked me about mentionables.

I'm thinking on it! I don't know that it's quite the same thing, on the other hand it's certainly not something to speak of unless needed normally, no?

Hmm! I need more thought on the principles behind it all! Thank you odhiambo!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »

'As a searching investigator of the integrity of your own conduct, submit your life to a daily examination. Consider carefully what progress you have made or what ground you have lost . . . Strive to know yourself . . . Place all your faults before your eyes. Come face to face with yourself, as though you were another person, and then weep for your faults.'

St. Bernard

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 14, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »

Good quote by St Bernard!

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »

Good quote by St Bernard!

Glad you liked it Patricia! Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: November 16, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

'All that we do receives its value from our conformity to the will of God; for instance, if I take recreation because it is the will of God, I merit more than if I suffered death without having that intention. Keep well in your mind this thought, and remember it in all your actions, in imitation of the carpenter, who passes all the boards he uses under the plane. It is thus you will do all with perfection.'

St. Francis de Sales

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 17, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

Amen! To be able to do God's will for us perfectly crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: November 18, 2012, 01:42:50 AM »

'"Like a tree planted by streams of water," [Ps. 1:3] the soul is irrigated by the Holy Scriptures and acquires vigour, produces tasty fruit, namely, true faith, and is beautified with a thousand green leaves, namely, actions that please God.'

St. John of Damascus

crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »

'The soul has followed Moses and the cloud, both of these serving as guides for those who would advance in virtue; Moses here represents the commandments of the Law; and the cloud that leads the way, its spiritual meaning.

The soul has been purified by crossing the Sea; it has removed from itself and destroyed the enemy army. It has tasted of the waters of Marah, that is, of life deprived of all sinful pleasure; and this at first had seemed bitter and unpleasant to the taste but offered a sensation of sweetness to those who accepted the wood. Next it enjoyed the beauty of the palm trees of the gospel and the springs; it filled itself with the living water, that is, the rock. It took within itself the bread of heaven. It overwhelmed the foreign host - a victory due to the extended arms of the Lawgiver, which thus foreshadowed the mystery of the Cross.

Only then can the soul go on to the contemplation of transcendent Being.'

St. Gregory of Nyssa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »

The bitter becomes sweet and the sweet becomes bitter! The conversion of life of a sinner!  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: November 20, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

'Resignation is all in all to the sick man; he ought to say to God, "Lord, if You want me, here I am, although I have never done any good: do with me what You will.'"

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: November 21, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »

'They who pass to eternity with the greatest merits shall receive the greatest reward. It is on this account that the Lord sends us tribulations. Virtues, which are the fountains of merits, are practised only by acts. They who have the most frequent occasions of annoyance make the most frequent acts of patience; they who are most frequently insulted make most frequent acts of meekness.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: November 25, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »

'To you however, my daughter, I would teach a deeper humility, for that of which I have been speaking is almost more truly to be called worldly wisdom than humility. There are some persons who dare not or will not think about the graces with which God has endowed them, fearing lest they should become self-complacent and vain-glorious; but they are quite wrong. For if, as the Angelic Doctor says, the real way of attaining to the Love of God is by a careful consideration of all His benefits given to us, then the better we realise these the more we shall love Him; and inasmuch as individual gifts are more acceptable than general gifts, so they ought to be more specially dwelt upon. Of a truth, nothing so tends to humble us before the Mercy of God as the multitude of His gifts to us; just as nothing so tends to humble us before His Justice as the multitude of our misdeeds. Let us consider what He has done for us, and what we have done contrary to His Will, and as we review our sins in detail, so let us review His Grace in the same. There is no fear that a perception of what He has given you will puff you up, so long as you keep steadily in mind that whatever is good in you is not of yourself.'

St. Francis de Sales

I have to be careful about this mistake! Gratitude is so important to everything!  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: November 28, 2012, 03:53:28 AM »

'Poor human reason, when it trusts in itself, substitutes the strangest absurdities for the highest divine concepts.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: November 28, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »

'The proof of our want of love and of our great coldness is the attraction which worldly goods possess for us.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: December 02, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »

'Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them.'

Pope St. Felix III

How many dogs there are that don't bark today, but only wag their tails!

Angry

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »

If you oppose error you are frowned upon. sickie

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: