Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:07:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1240119 times)
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Yes, we have to be careful that we live what we speak of. We have to constantly work with hope to live the life of the saints, the life of Christ.

'This seems a cheerful world, Donatus, when I view it from this fair garden. But if I climbed some great mountain and looked out over the wide land, you know well what I would see. Brigands on the high roads, pirates on the seas, men murdered in the amphitheaters to please the applauding crowds, and under all roofs misery and selfishness. It is really a bad world. And yet in the midst of it, I have found a quiet and holy people. They have discovered a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of this sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are the Christians, and I have become one of them.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

This is an inspiring quote
Truly something to aspire to.

George ( Haji )
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »

Great quote. Gives hope.  Little Angel

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 19, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »

"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a pharisee and the other a tax collector. the Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get. But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner!'

Believing that only God can read a heart, who can judge.
Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner

Saint Cyprian pray for us

I must always remember never to judge. I know of at least two women who are "staunch" catholics, if I may use that expression. Both are second wives and I am afraid I have wondered how can that come about? A catholic woman? a second wife?
May the Lord forgive me if in so wondering, I have judged.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 19, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »

"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a pharisee and the other a tax collector. the Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get. But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner!'

Believing that only God can read a heart, who can judge.

Saint Cyprian pray for us

I must always remember never to judge. I know of at least two women who are "staunch" catholics, if I may use that expression. Both are second wives and I am afraid I have wondered how can that come about? A catholic woman? a second wife?
It is difficult, to know the laws of the church, and the laws of the heart, yet not fall victim to scrupulosity. One of beauties of scripture is it's depth, when I read this I see the Pharasee's mistake is in his comparing, bringing in a third party, so to speak ( Satan ? ). The tax collector kept it between God and himself. They were both obeying the law, being at temple, praying, but only one was breaking the law of the heart, only God can know our true motivations, only God can judge the heart . I fear we all fall victim to this at times.

George ( Haji )
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »

Twice a day, or at least once, make your examens. Be careful never to omit them. So live as to make more account of your own good conscience than you do of those of others;
for he who is not good in regard to himself, how can he be good in regard to others.
St. Francis Xavier

George ( Haji )
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »

It is difficult, to know the laws of the church, and the laws of the heart, yet not fall victim to scrupulosity. One of beauties of scripture is it's depth, when I read this I see the Pharasee's mistake is in his comparing, bringing in a third party, so to speak ( Satan ? ). The tax collector kept it between God and himself. They were both obeying the law, being at temple, praying, but only one was breaking the law of the heart, only God can know our true motivations, only God can judge the heart . I fear we all fall victim to this at times.
Amen  crucifix

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »

A catholic woman? a second wife?

Do you mean the man has 2 wives and this Catholic woman is his second wife??

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »

'Be very careful to retain peace of heart, because Satan casts his lines in troubled waters.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2012, 03:29:05 AM »

Yes Patricia.
A poligamous marriage in which the catholic woman is the "home breaker"; that is how I think of second wives, I am afraid. You see, there I go judging again Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:16 AM »

'Be very careful to retain peace of heart, because Satan casts his lines in troubled waters.'
St. Paul of the Cross

Dear God, my heart and mind are open to You. May your calming peace fill my whole  being.  crucifix

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »

"If you are willing to bear serenely the trial of being displeasing to yourself, then you will be for Jesus a pleasant place of shelter"

St.Therese of the Child Jesus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

Good virtuous folks feel more pleasure in the sorrow over their sins and the affliction of their penance than wretches feel in the fulfilling of their foul pleasure.
St. Thomas More

George ( Haji )
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »

Yes Patricia.
A poligamous marriage in which the catholic woman is the "home breaker"; that is how I think of second wives, I am afraid. You see, there I go judging again Sad

Odhiambo, that's not judging. It's the truth. You can't be a true Catholic and be a second wife/homebreaker. She is living in mortal sin, I'm afraid and not in the Faith. The Catholic faith does not allow polygamy.

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Yes Patricia.

I don't believe knowing the difference between right and wrong is a sin, it's a blessing. I'm going through something similar in my own family with how to deal with "the other women" and I am struggling with it.
Praying for wisdom

George ( Haji )
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »

Reprimand and rebuke should be accepted as healing remedies for vice and as conducive to good health. From this it is clear that those who pretend to be tolerant because they wish to flatter, those who thus fail to correct sinners actually cause them to suffer supreme loss and plot the destuction of that life which is their true life.
St. Basil the Great

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »

This quote from St. Basil is very key to understanding these times we live in I think.

And something sharp to think of when we consider ourselves and whether we have done this or not.

'A strong man is one who repels evil through the practice of the virtues and with spiritual knowledge.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: