Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233206 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: November 09, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »

“If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin every day of our life with new eagerness. We must keep ourselves in the presence of God as much as possible and have no other view or end in all our actions but the divine honor.”
 St. Charles Borromeo

It's so important to begin the day on the right foot! If only I were more of a morning person!  flower

Every day, beginning anew!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »

It's so important to begin the day on the right foot! If only I were more of a morning person!  flower

Every day, beginning anew!

It is never too late Shin, every day the Lord gives us, is a chance for new and better resolutions on our part.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

A good reminder odhiambo!

We must keep Christ in mind always!

'A short prayer, morning and evening, is considered too much; confession is a fearful task; the sanctification of the Sabbath is sacrificed to human respect; abstinence on Friday and Saturday, to sensuality; and our duties, to the love of pleasure! And yet we aspire to become the associates of the martyrs, the righteous, the heroes of religion! Heaven is a reward, which must be earned; it is a crown which must be won in the combat; it is a conquest which we can only make by violence; those who know how to conquer, are they by whom it is obtained. Heaven is the abode of sanctity, and its gates are only open to innocence or to perfect penance, it we busy ourselves solely with the vanities, goods, and pleasures of this life, we are neither innocent, nor repentant, and are, therefore, unworthy of being admitted into heaven.'

St. Jean Baptist de la Salle

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 11, 2012, 06:09:46 AM »

A repeat quote?
Probably, but it is such a good one from our very own Mother Teresa.  Here it is again.
“ People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
 Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.
 Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
 Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
 Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
 Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten.
 Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.
 Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God.
 It was never between you and them anyway. ”
Mother Teresa  

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: November 11, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

Well, those aren't actually Mother Teresa's originally I've been told, but from a little plaque hung in one of her orphanages, and thence it became attributed to her, though actually more originally at the least is from a popular author I do not know much about. There're in fact a lot of quotes falsely attributed to her I've read, there's some information about that out there if one looks.

susanna

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 11, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »

Hello!  Long time no visit, and thank you for the invitation. 
You are the quote master Shin. 

Just wanted to share this one I heard at bible study today:  Don't put off belief in God until the 11th hour.  You might die at 10:30. 
 Cheesy

Good night! 

The important thing is not to think much, but to love much; do then whatever most arouses you to love.  - St. Teresa of Jesus
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: November 11, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

That's a good one susanna!

It's great to hear from you!

flower

susanna

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

Hi Shin.  Thanks!  I've been so busy.  Also began attending a nearby Byzantine church and learning about them. 
There's just not enough time in the day sometimes.   Smiley 

The important thing is not to think much, but to love much; do then whatever most arouses you to love.  - St. Teresa of Jesus
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: November 11, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »

It must be splendid to attend a Byzantine parish. Cheesy

I remember fondly a visit I had to one. Truly beautiful!

susanna

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »

Beautiful cathedral, beautiful prayers.  The divine liturgy is so much more sacred and supernatural than the ordinary form Roman Mass.  Been missing the quiet prayer of Latin Mass sometimes, so going there tomorrow.    World needs serious prayer right now eh? 

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »

Truly, what more could be said?

I am very thankful whenever I encounter those who truly pray.

'The prayers of the Saints in heaven and of the just on earth are a perfume which never will be lost.'

St. Padre Pio

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »

Well, those aren't actually Mother Teresa's originally I've been told, but from a little plaque hung in one of her orphanages, and thence it became attributed to her, though actually more originally at the least is from a popular author I do not know much about. There're in fact a lot of quotes falsely attributed to her I've read, there's some information about that out there if one looks.

Thanks for the info.
I had no reason to doubt that it was original. As it appears among a long list of her quotes.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
MidnightSun12

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »

Another one from St. Leonard of Port Maurice:

"Sinners, the advice I want to give you will no doubt seem strange to you; but if you understand it well, it is, on the contrary, inspired by tender compassion toward you. I implore you on my knees, by the blood of Christ and by the Heart of Mary, change your life, come back to the road that leads to heaven, and do all you can to belong to the little number of those who are saved. If, instead of this, you want to continue walking on the road that leads to hell, at least find a way to erase your baptism. Woe to you if you take the Holy Name of Jesus Christ and the sacred character of the Christian engraved upon your soul into hell! Your chastisement will be all the greater. So do what I advise you to do: if you do not want to convert, go this very day and ask your pastor to erase your name from the baptismal register, so that there may not remain any remembrance of your ever having been a Christian; implore your Guardian Angel to erase from his book of graces the inspirations and aids he has given you on orders from God, for woe to you if he recalls them! Tell Our Lord to take back His faith, His baptism, His sacraments."
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: November 12, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »

This reminds me of the perhaps too often forgotten baptismal promises.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »

I like the days when Saints called a spade a spade.  Act of God Tell it like it is. Today we are concerned about being 'politically correct' all the time.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »

I agree! I love the simplicity of God! No ambiguous words, the simple truth!

One can make a point of saying things the way the holy scriptures say them, even though they're quite socially forbidden by many. The more the words of holy scripture are socially forbidden the worse it is for Christians to practice the faith outside of the catacombs.

The people don't want to hear they're sinners! That's the truth!

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: